PDA

View Full Version : help w/basic work table design

Grant Vanbokklen
07-04-2007, 1:18 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how to build a cheap but sturdy work table for a spare room in my house. I'll be using the table mostly for cutting and laying out veener patterns. I want it to be something that I could easily disassemble in the future so I don't want to glue it together at all. I'll cut things out in the garage but assemble in the room. Table demensions will be 4' x 10'. I'll want to put a shelf under the main table too so I can store some light weight stuff there but be able to clean up under the table.

I've already got a 1" thick piece of MDF for the top. But what I'm thinking is that I'd use twobyfours (or smaller) and chipboard for the legs and framework. Light weight but super sturdy will be good.

I'm pretty good at just going for it and making it happen. But thought I'd ask here for insight and see if you guys have good ideas that I'd probably not think of.

Larry James
07-05-2007, 9:50 PM
Grant, for ideas, do a Google search for work table and click on images on the at the top of results page.

Larry

Peter Pedisich
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Grant,

Also try:

wwwdotworkbenchdesigndotnet

Lot's of ideas, maybe some could be adapted to glueless assembly.

good luck,

Pete

John Schreiber
07-06-2007, 12:14 AM
No problem on the Creek with posting a website, so long as it's not a link to a specific post in another forum or to a business which you have an interest in which you are trying to promote.

So, www.workbenchdesign.net (http://www.workbenchdesign.net/) is just fine. And it's a fine site too. I've spent a lot of time there planning my workbench.

Michael Schwartz
07-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Just a thought, I use this table for alot of stuff, not just cutting wood.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z38/Masterbuilder97/PBB.jpg

mark morton
07-06-2007, 1:15 AM
1"x4'x10' MDF I think light weight just went out the door....:D

Grant Vanbokklen
07-07-2007, 2:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I really did not know how to explain the design I'd seen before. But the reply saying to look at "images" on Google helped some. What I was thinkng about was a design where the legs are built like this:
http://www.clay-king.com/images/nsworktable.jpg
but out of chipboard. These above are not chipboard of course.

I think I saw a table with legs like this out of chipboard in wooden boat magazine a few years back and then recently somewhere else and thought there must be a reason for building legs like this out of chipboard. So I guess I thought others might do this and have a reason for it or a good design.

Don Bullock
07-07-2007, 7:38 AM
Grant,

Also try:

wwwdotworkbenchdesigndotnet

Lot's of ideas, maybe some could be adapted to glueless assembly.

good luck,

Pete

Pete,
That's a great website that I hadn't seen. Thanks.

The work bench design site mentioned the Woodworker's Journal Volume 28 Issue 5 (September/October 2004) but is is sold out. Does anyone know of a way to get a copy?