PDA

View Full Version : Plano Glue Press Cart

Tom Cowie
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello to all,

I've been using the Plano glue press for a few months now and I thought it was time that I posted some pix. I built a cart for it that was made to fit my needs in my very small shop. Hope that it's not confusing.

The base is 1x4 pine. Put together using lock miters and bolts.

Tom Cowie
07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
The cart is on ball casters from Rockler. I like the ease of the glue ups that I have done and I'm impressed with the flatness of the panels. I did some cabinet doors on it and they came out very well.

Tom Cowie
07-04-2007, 12:47 PM
It opens to accommodate larger panels. I used table locks and support legs on casters.
Hope this was interesting, It is a lot of fun to use.

Tom

Ed Lang
07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Your cart looks great!

Mine is not as nice, but it sure does work nice.

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 1:50 PM
That's really great, Tom! I've been wanting the Plano system for a long time, but the lack of wall space has kept me away. Your cart is a great way to eliminate that little problem! And that opening feature is slick! Great for tables...

Rafael Carias
07-04-2007, 2:32 PM
Very neat tom! i have been observing the plano press for a while and dedicating permanent wall space for it would be an issue, your idea just about eliminates that incompatibility.

Reed Wells
07-04-2007, 5:09 PM
I have been looking for a system to use in my business without going to the huge pnumatic presses. I use mostly 7/4 white pine in length from 24" to 72". Will this system apply enough pressure to glue 7/4 stock. Does anyone know of a video or expanded photos of its operation. Help would be greatly appreciated, for it looks like just what I need. Thanks, Reed

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 6:19 PM
Reed, the Plano clamping system is on display at just about any woodworking show I've been too, hobbyist or pro. More info is available from the vendor, Advanced Machinery (http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=plano). And yes, it will handle your 7/4 stock...max thickness is 5".

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2007, 7:09 PM
Very nice, Tom. I've looked at the Plano but have held off due to space limitations. I may have to rethink that. Nice job on the cart.

Jay Brewer
07-04-2007, 7:40 PM
Great job Tom, I have had the Plano clamps for a couple months and havent installed them yet because I am expanding my shop. This really gives me some ideas. Thanks

Don Bullock
07-04-2007, 9:13 PM
That's really great, Tom! I've been wanting the Plano system for a long time, but the lack of wall space has kept me away. Your cart is a great way to eliminate that little problem! And that opening feature is slick! Great for tables...

Very neat tom! i have been observing the plano press for a while and dedicating permanent wall space for it would be an issue, your idea just about eliminates that incompatibility.

Very nice, Tom. I've looked at the Plano but have held off due to space limitations. I may have to rethink that. Nice job on the cart.

Great job Tom, I have had the Plano clamps for a couple months and havent installed them yet because I am expanding my shop. This really gives me some ideas. Thanks

What they said. Thanks for posting your idea.:D

It's posts like this that make this a very valuable place.

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Don, you just wanted to try out that multi-quote feature, didn't you... :D :D :D

Don Bullock
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Don, you just wanted to try out that multi-quote feature, didn't you... :D :D :D

I was just trying to point out that I agreed with what the four of you already said rather than trying to say it all a different way.;) :D It is a nice feature though.

Tom Cowie
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the interest,

The system works great and I would definitely recommend it. It solves the issues associated with trying to glue up flat panels. I'm glad you all like the cart. It is user friendly in my small shop..

Ed your cart is very very nice! Any pointers in using this system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Tom

PS: Mister Becker you just gotta have one of these presses. I'm going for three more clamps to complete what I already have.. :)