PDA

View Full Version : Bees wax?

Bonnie Campbell
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
My husband just got about 30 pounds of bees wax from a friend.... Looks like it's just melted with impurities in it. Can I use it for any kind of finish? It's not like he needs THAT much for bullet casting :p

Tom Sherman
07-04-2007, 1:10 PM
Bonnie Richard Raffan uses mineral oil followed by Bee's was on most of his turnings gives them a sort of satin finish. I've tried it on some boxes and it looks nice easy to reapply too.

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2007, 1:43 PM
You betcha......Oil and then friction apply the bee's wax, use a rag and spin the lathe and melt the wax into the oil finish. Wait a day and buff lightly with a rag. Really nice to the touch and a good satin finish. Not durable though.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2007, 3:29 PM
Yep I do it like Raffan or Ray Key does. On Ray Key's video he uses a very small amount of bees wax on sandpaper to control the dust.

Bob Childress
07-04-2007, 3:50 PM
But remember what Dennis said: not durable. And not really suitable for pens or anything that will be handled a lot because beeswax has a relatively low melting point. But it looks great! :)

Bonnie Campbell
07-04-2007, 4:24 PM
So it should be okay for the outside of a weed pot or something along them lines then? And to apply it, I just hold a chunk to the wood and let it friction melt itself on?

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 6:02 PM
Bonnie, you only need a very small amount of wax on the piece to buff out to a nice satin shine. Some folks will dissolve it in a little turps or mineral spirits, too, prior to application. (I think that Raffan's wax is prepared this way, but cannot confirm...)

Mack Cameron
07-04-2007, 7:12 PM
Hi all; I know it's in the turner's forum, but beeswax is great stuff to rub on screw threads to lubricate them before driving them in hard wood. It also assists when rubbed on brass screw threads.

Tom Morton
07-05-2007, 9:44 AM
Disolve the bees wax in gum turpentine - made from trees - the turp will be absorbed by the wood and carry beeswax wax with it deeper into the wood. The other turpentine is petroleum based. Cut the pieces of wax with the bandsaw thereby lubricating the blade and applying rust protection - 1"cubes. Disolve in a wide mouth salsa or dip jar for ease of access. Equal volumes of wax and turpentine to start you may thin or thicken to suit. Heat is not required or advised. The wax will disolve overnight without heat. Apply a liberal coat with a paper towel on the piece and work it into the piece with friction while the lathe is spinning. Apply one more light coat - lathe off - allowing the wax to harden - overnight is best - buff with a brown paper grocery sack wadded up until the piece is buffed. The piece will be sticky feeling but will harden in 24 hours - actually the turpentine flashing off - and will result in a lusterous sheen on the piece. The piece may be handled and rebuffed off the lathe with the same sack. Durable finish and very food safe.

Small cuts and scrapes in the shop. Dab a bit of the mixture on the wound, turp will cauterize(sp) the beeswax will harden into an instant bandadge.

Dilute the wax to near liquid and use as a furniture/wood floor polish.

As mentioned dip points of nail/screws to ease driving and reduce spliting.

Wood window sash - coat bearing surfaces to weather proof wood and aid in forming a weather seal.

Place a dab on screw part of screw chuck to aid in removal of wood from the screw when turning green wood.

Lots more uses.