PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Vs. Profit

Stephen Beckham
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I posted a note the other day about putting website on edge of Wooden Nickels. Just wanted to post a picture to show the simple and more importantly an easily replicating jig I put together. (Wood lovers please forgive that I used Teak and Brazilia Cherry - it was scrap).

I also blurred the picture to keep from violating TOS of putting my web site in plain view. It was more to give you an idea of how the nickels are easily marked.

The discussion was return on investment versus the number of laser minutes versus market value of the coin. Customers won't buy 500-1000 to give away at $1 a piece (about what the $1 per minute guideline calls for). But customers will give them away when they can 100 of them for $35 or 500 of them for $125. Who? Politicians, Soldiers and other associations (VFW, American Legion, Boy Scouts, etc...) will buy these to give away.

You don't profit from the sell, but a potential 500 customers will visit your web site to see what else you can offer. As mentioned earlier - the first 100 were a joke - the last 7500 were not!

One last note - I chose to stop putting my website on every coin. Something that three years of Recruiting Command for US Army taught me - the same way you don't target 12-14 year olds to join the service because of eligibilty - don't target customer markets where people don't respect the laser etching abiltiy. Choose to market your website to those items that will be given to target audiences.

Sorry for the long post - if you are interested in the CDR file I use and the location I get my nickels from - please PM me.

Mike Null
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Steve

Good idea and very clever jig.

Stephen Beckham
07-04-2007, 1:13 PM
Okay - tried to figure out how to post this in PM - I'm a better engraver than PMer I guess...

The key to the file is centering the jig for the coins. The squares are the thickness of the coins - more of a guideline for me to change and offer the customer to have their message on the edge (for an extra cost of course). If you make a similar jig - move the columns.

I also found that doing more than 20 at a time starts to get crazy because of varying thickness of the coins.

I get my blank coins from iTuit.