PDA

View Full Version : Installing router plate in NYW router station

Tim Quigley
07-04-2007, 1:04 AM
I'm in the process of building the NYW deluxe router station. As I work on the laminated table top, I began to wonder how one attaches the metal router plate to the table. In looking at the plans, they show the leveling screws but do not show anything indicating that the plate is mechanically attached to the table. THe directions that came with the Rockler extra large plage I purchases also do not mention anything. I also just pulled up a few episodes of NYW on my Tivo looking for a closeup of the station in use and it doesnt see like Norm has any screws holding the plate down.

I find it hard to believe that you would use the table with the plate just sitting in the hole but it sure seems like that is what the plans show.

So, my question to all of you who have built the router station...how do you attach the Rockler plate to the table? Or do you just drop it in and run it without attaching it?

Thanks!
Tim Q

glenn bradley
07-04-2007, 1:17 AM
The weight of the router hold things quite stable. I have never seen a router plate attached to the table top by anything other than gravity.

Mike Heidrick
07-04-2007, 1:21 AM
Gravity from the weight of the plate (better yet lift) and the router is all you need. Friction fit snug routing helps as well.

Peter Stahl
07-04-2007, 7:43 AM
Like the other said, gravity is all you need. Just make sure it doesn't wiggle or wobble. I've never had a problem with mine moving. My first router I installed is a piece of Phenolic plastic I shaped myself. The other router is on a Woodpecker plunge-lift and has spring loaded balls around the edge to keep it snug. Never had a problem with the Phenolic one moving though. Take your time and make a nice snug but not too tight fit and you should be good. By the way, both routers are 3 hp, one is a PC the other a Hitachi.

Tim Malyszko
07-04-2007, 8:58 AM
As long as you cut the rabbet correctly, the router plate will not move once the router is installed. Here is a picture of my NYW router station with the XL Rockler plate installed.

Best of luck to you.

Tim Quigley
07-04-2007, 9:21 AM
Go figure. I have this Freud router table I bought from the borg and it is attached. Probably cause it is so cheap and flexible. Since that was attached, I just assumed they all had to be.

So, that leads to a second question. I bought the template that goes with the Rockler plate. When I did a cut with that, it leaves a 1/16 or maybe 3/32 all the way around. Seemed to be a bit sloppy. What kind of tolerence do you typically have with your plate?

Thanks!!!

Tim

Tim Malyszko
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Go figure. I have this Freud router table I bought from the borg and it is attached. Probably cause it is so cheap and flexible. Since that was attached, I just assumed they all had to be.

So, that leads to a second question. I bought the template that goes with the Rockler plate. When I did a cut with that, it leaves a 1/16 or maybe 3/32 all the way around. Seemed to be a bit sloppy. What kind of tolerence do you typically have with your plate?

Thanks!!!

Tim

I did not use the router template, but I have about 1/32-1/64" gap around my plate.

Peter Stahl
07-04-2007, 3:00 PM

Thanks!!!

Tim
That is very sloppy/lose. Did you use the recommended router bit? When I bought the template for my Woodpecker plate I also bought the bit they recommended. Should be a snug fit.