PDA

View Full Version : Do you sign your work?

Bill Huber
07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Today while I was in the shop do a little work I had the radio on and was listening to an oldies station.

One of my favorite songs came on, one I had kind of forgot, it was Neil Diamond's Morningside. I stopped what I was doing and just set on my stool to listen to it.

It got me to thinking about signing some of the things I build. Just the name and date under a drawer or on the inside back of a cabinet someplace a little out of the way but still there.

So the question is do you sign any of your work, if so why and if not why not. Most of what is build by the people on this forum will be around long after the builder is gone and someone someplace needs to know who built it, in my opinion.

Now I am sure I won't sign the shop cabinets I built but in the future the things that I build for my kids, grand-kids and wife will be signed and dated.

Tyler Purcell
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I sign all my work somewhere small using a wood burner with my name and a date. I want my furniture to outlast me, and hopefully, a hundred years from now, one of my great grandchildren will look at the bottom of a table or something and say "Wow! Grandpa's dad made this in 2007!".

glenn bradley
07-04-2007, 1:20 AM
I just recently started signing and dating. i used to just recess a penny of the year the piece was made in an inconspicuous spot for my own reference.

John Fry
07-04-2007, 1:44 AM
Somewhere inconspicuous, either underneath or on the back, I inlay an etched bronze medallion with my company name "Chisel and Bit Custom Crafted Furniture" and Then I sign and date it also.

http://www.chiselandbit.com/glass_table_base/glass_table_base18.jpg

In case work with drawers, I will inlay the medallion in the side of the top drawer too, but this one I won't sign, just the one underneath.

http://www.chiselandbit.com/drum_table/drum_table37.jpg

Bill Huber
07-04-2007, 2:54 AM
I sign all my work somewhere small using a wood burner with my name and a date. I want my furniture to outlast me, and hopefully, a hundred years from now, one of my great grandchildren will look at the bottom of a table or something and say "Wow! Grandpa's dad made this in 2007!".

That is it exactly, have you ever listened to the song?

If not see if you can find it...

Ken Milhinch
07-04-2007, 8:37 AM
Sorry guys I have to disagree on this one. I can understand a professional applying their "brand" if the item is to be sold, but to me a hobbyist signing their work is pretentious in the extreme. (No offence intended to those with a contrary view.)

Jim Podsedly
07-04-2007, 8:51 AM
I brand and sign anything that i make for my family. i.e. i made desks for my daughters and i branded and signed them. They don't even know about it but one day they will see it and have that same expression.

Being a hobbyist, i do not think i would sign anything that will not stay within the family for generations. If i was a professional then i would definetely sign everything. just my .02

Jim

Ken Werner
07-04-2007, 8:58 AM
to me a hobbyist signing their work is pretentious in the extreme.

Ken,

Being an amateur does not lessen the effort or pride one places in his/her work. I do not think it pretentious to put my name and date on a piece which may add to its meaning years down the road.

BTW, FWW will be publishing an article on this very subject soon.

Ken

Don Bullock
07-04-2007, 9:26 AM
...but to me a hobbyist signing their work is pretentious in the extreme. (No offence intended to those with a contrary view.)

Ken, no offence taken. As a pure hobbiest just getting back into woodworking, I do plan to sign my work. In my opionion what we do with wood is a form of art. I find nothing pretectious about an artist signing their work whether for their own use or to sell. I've very proud of my accomplishments in wood. To me the signature is a way of showing that pride,

Brian Penning
07-04-2007, 9:36 AM
I glue a penny with the year the item was made.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/IMG_2661.jpg?t=1183556116

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2007, 9:39 AM
I sign my work because it is fine art and I am the greatest in the world~!!

No really I had considered it some 30 or so years ago when I was making and repairing guitars it seemed like the logical thing to do. And over the years I've thought about it but I don't sell my work, I give it away and I keep it so there's never any question about who dun it.

I think that If I had intentions of ever selling work I'd definitely get a brand or those little brass plaques. It is a logical way of advertising.

Justin James
07-04-2007, 9:44 AM
I started signing and dating my work while still a teenager, after discovering that some of it was being passed off as original. Given that many of us are making copies of antique pieces, or are drawing heavily on them for inspiration, it seems only prudent.

John Schreiber
07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry guys I have to disagree on this one. I can understand a professional applying their "brand" if the item is to be sold, but to me a hobbyist signing their work is pretentious in the extreme. (No offence intended to those with a contrary view.)
I agree with Ken, but I have no problem being pretentious:D. When I finish something, I am so darn proud.:D

I live in the Land of Lincoln, so I inset a penny of that year and carve my initials.

Brian Penning
07-04-2007, 10:41 AM
pretentious: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing)
hmmmm....I don't see a hobbiest signing their work falling under this definition.

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
You bet I do.!!!! I used to not sign my work, but almost every piece I made, I'd get asked, "Did you sign this piece?". If not, they'd ask me to sign it somewhere and date it. I've stuck to this process and every person that has gotten a piece made from me are satisfied.

On another note, the family REQUIRES that I sign and date every piece. After all, I'm making heirloom pieces to be past on to others as generations pass.

Lee Schierer
07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a branding iron with my name on it and I insert a penny of the current year in the back. The family really likes it and friends or paying customers are always pleasantly surprised to find the penny and the brand. I feel it make the piece look more professional. Even though I'm a hobbist, my work is mostly professional level. You never know when a piece you make will survived for generations and people will ask when it was made.

Roger Reynolds
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
For professional work, I understand and agree with the “brand” issue. For personal work, I feel that the mark is completely unnecessary. If someone three generations down needs the mark to know who made it, then it doesn’t matter. I will depend on word of mouth and would rather my great grand daughter learned from her mother who learned from her mother who made the piece. I also understand that this is one of those things that falls in the category of “if it makes you feel better, then do it”. I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong” answer to this question.

Pat Germain
07-04-2007, 12:26 PM
For professional work, I understand and agree with the “brand” issue. For personal work, I feel that the mark is completely unnecessary. If someone three generations down needs the mark to know who made it, then it doesn’t matter. I will depend on word of mouth and would rather my great grand daughter learned from her mother who learned from her mother who made the piece. I also understand that this is one of those things that falls in the category of “if it makes you feel better, then do it”. I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong” answer to this question.

Roger, the only problem with that is word of mouth tends to be very unreliable when it comes to the family. I have many family photos from the early 1900s. They are great pictures , but nobody has any idea who any of those people are. Since there was no journaling or anything on the pictures, it will remain a mystery. Word of mouth broke down completely in this case, as it all too often does. That's why so many families claim to be related to Jesse James and they can't prove it "Because the courthouse burned down". :rolleyes:

Dollars to doughnuts, in the distant future someone will say, "I don't remember which furniture great-grandpa made and what we bought at the antique store. I'm not sure when he made it, but it was a long time ago. Oh well, just put a tag on it and we'll get rid of it at the yard sale." :eek:

Gary Keedwell
07-04-2007, 1:07 PM
I am also with the signing crowd, for all the above reasons. I remember that the TV show "Little house on the Prairie" had a wonderful episode ( Yea, I watch corny shows once in awhile) in which someone found an old chair or something in an Antique store, marked "Charles Ingalls". They then went back to the time years earlier when Charles made it for Christmas and signed it. He was too poor to buy anything so he secretly went out to the barn every nite to work on it.
I received a branding iron from the LOML for Christmas years ago and she so gently asks me if I "signed it" when I finish a treasured family heirloom.
Gary K.

Rod Sheridan
07-04-2007, 6:22 PM
I always brand my work, and then date it in ink below the brand........Rod.

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 6:23 PM
Yes, I do...when I remember, that is. I have a dedicated burning tool that puts my name in some innocuous location on a project.

Carl Crout
07-04-2007, 6:48 PM
I was a tv repairman for 10 years and I signed the back of every tv that I repaired. It was neat, years later to see a tv that I had repaired years earlier.
When I built my house, I signed some of the studs. When I started woodworking I started signing everything that I built. I use a sharpie (name and date)

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2007, 7:13 PM
No branding iron, just a sharpie signature and date in some unobtrusive spot. SWMBO gets on me if I don't - even if the piece is for her.

Jack Briggs
07-04-2007, 7:21 PM
http://www.briggsguitars.com/www/images/4016head.JPG

Kyle Kraft
07-04-2007, 7:29 PM
Yer darn skippy, I do!! Even though I don't do the finest work in the world, I'm still proud of my accomplishment. I usually brand the backside of the project and put the sharpie date below. Nothing pretentious, what you see is what you get.

Bob Michaels
07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Jack what did you use to sign the instrument.

Pat Germain
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Jack, any chance we could see the rest of that guitar? Just the headstock has me excited!

Earl Reid
07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
I have have been doing woodworking for about 60 yrs
and have been signing and dating the past 40 or so, because people began asking me to. Most of my things are given to family and friends . I have sold a few items in galleries in Chicago and in Pa. they always wanted the item signed and dated. I also have a book with the names, dates, # of item and reason if given. I use a branding stamp or a small iron.
Earl

Todd Jensen
07-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry Ken, gotta disagree on this one also, though I've gotta give you credit for creating quite a stir. :) Although I've only signed one piece, a small jewelry box I made for my wife/then girlfriend for our first Christmas, I've been considering signing more of my projects lately. I think John Fry's signature and medallion are very classy.

I think if you were to classify signing as pretentious, it would apply across the board, to the hobbyist and professional alike. All signing is to me is a classier version of "Todd was here". I think its a neat way of communicating to the next craftsman, restorer, hobbyist, owner, etc. and giving the piece a reference, a simple bibliography, whether its a $15k music stand or a 2x4 birdhouse.

Christof Grohs
07-05-2007, 1:20 AM
Most of my work is of architectural nature but the studio/commission pieces that come from my shop are initialed with a dremel, filled with epoxy and sanded flush.

The comments on in this thread are touching on what seems to be a conflict between the public perception of craft vs. art. Is your work art if you are an amature? There are probably more art galleries filled with amature's work than established artist's work. Are you entitled to sign your work as an amature? Are amatures only able to create craft not art, thus amatures are not entitled to sign their work? Does one sign their work to add valuem if so what type of value? I don't know, one way or another, this is difficult subject matter.

Can a bird house be art if it is created by a student.....

http://www.jjc.edu/Dept/FineArts/BirdhouseImages/19%20The%20Game%20B.JPG

Jack Briggs
07-05-2007, 7:50 AM
Jack what did you use to sign the instrument.

Bob,

I use metallic pens in either gold or silver. I just checked my one on hand and it's called "Prismacolor". I've also used Sakura brand. Any of these are available from art supply stores. For my use the finest tip is waht I need.

Jack Briggs
07-05-2007, 7:59 AM
Jack, any chance we could see the rest of that guitar? Just the headstock has me excited!

Pat,

Thanks! I hope this isn't spamming, but here are a couple choice shots. I'm awaiting the release of a book which this guitar was chosen to be pictured in. Pretty excited at that!

http://www.briggsguitars.com/www/images/Bri2.jpg

http://www.briggsguitars.com/www/images/259-259.jpg

Brian Penning
07-05-2007, 8:38 AM
Jack>>>Whoa!! An awesomer!

Al Willits
07-05-2007, 8:44 AM
Signing my work?
Well, as soon a one of these storage cabinets I've been learning on doesn't look like the leaning tower of Pisa I might think of it...:D

I have a couple of accounts with different suppliers and its under the name "Furniture by Bear" and hoping someday to actually make a piece of furniture.

So, if I ever ... er....when.. I finally make a nice piece of furniture to sell, I'll probably have a stamp or something.

Considering this is probably more than a couple years away, I'm in no hurry to get a stamp made...:)

Al....yes, Beasty calls me Bear....when she's in a good mood...:)

Don Bullock
07-05-2007, 9:14 AM
Pat,

Thanks! I hope this isn't spamming, but here are a couple choice shots. ...

How could pictures of such beautiful work like that ever be considered spamming? Now, that's a piece of art!

Pat Germain
07-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Bestill my beating heart, Jack! That is one amazing hollow-body!

That guitar is no less aesthically pleasing than Jessica Behl (who happens to be from Colorado). :)

Bill Huber
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Pat,

Thanks! I hope this isn't spamming, but here are a couple choice shots. I'm awaiting the release of a book which this guitar was chosen to be pictured in. Pretty excited at that!

I will have to agree with Don on this, that is a true piece of art, it should be on display somewhere for more people to see.

Just outstanding work.

John Stevens
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Dollars to doughnuts, in the distant future someone will say, "I don't remember which furniture great-grandpa made and what we bought at the antique store. I'm not sure when he made it, but it was a long time ago. Oh well, just put a tag on it and we'll get rid of it at the yard sale." :eek:

If they don't like a piece, they won't keep it, regardless of who made it. Time marches on, and life is for the living. I think the best things I can leave for my kids (and grands, if I ever have them) will be happy memories. If I can just do that then I won't care if they pile my furniture at the curb before my body is cold.

Bob Michaels
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Bob,

I use metallic pens in either gold or silver. I just checked my one on hand and it's called "Prismacolor". I've also used Sakura brand. Any of these are available from art supply stores. For my use the finest tip is waht I need.
Jack, thanks for the info.

Bob

Bob Michaels
07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Bob,

Jack, one more question. Do you clear coat over the Prismacolor after you sign the piece. Your work is nothing short of spectacular.

Bob

jason lambert
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
That is one heck of a guatar, nice job!

Jack Briggs
07-06-2007, 3:00 PM
First off,

You guys are all too nice! Thanks to all.

Bob - yes I always do all my nitrocellulose lacquer clearcoats (8-10) on top. Then after a 3 week curing periaod, wet-sanding flat before buffing to as-close-to-museum-quality shine as possible!

It's certainly a labor of love, and I wouldn't do it any other way!:D

Robert Miller
07-06-2007, 3:17 PM
I also sign and date my work . I've never thought of it being pretentious, I just am proud of my work.
I hope that the things which I have created will outlive me, and i guess it's just the knowledge that when I am gone, someday,someone, my family, my friends, whomever, will admire what I made and discover who made it, and what year it was made.
I just bought some beautiful cabinetmakers wooden handled screwdrivers that were shipped to me from England. I know they are old, and one has his initials on the handle .
It makes me think, who was the craftsman who owned this tool?
And, would he ever have dreamt that it would end up in America cared for by another?
I vote sign it, and date it with pride.

Gary Keedwell
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I also sign and date my work . I've never thought of it being pretentious, I just am proud of my work.
I hope that the things which I have created will outlive me, and i guess it's just the knowledge that when I am gone, someday,someone, my family, my friends, whomever, will admire what I made and discover who made it, and what year it was made.
I just bought some beautiful cabinetmakers wooden handled screwdrivers that were shipped to me from England. I know they are old, and one has his initials on the handle .
It makes me think, who was the craftsman who owned this tool?
And, would he ever have dreamt that it would end up in America cared for by another?
I vote sign it, and date it with pride.
Robert.....that was a really nice post. Enjoy the screwdrivers. There's just something cool having history in your hands.
Gary K.

Mike Langford
07-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Morningside, the old man died.
And no one cried, they simply turned away.
And when he died,
He left a table filled with nails and pride.
And with his hands he carved these words inside:
"For my children"

Morning light, morning bright.
I spent the night with dreams that make you weep.
Morning time,
Wash away the sadness from these eyes of mine,
For I recall the words an old man signed:
"For my children"

And the legs were shaped with his hands,
And the table made with oaken wood.
And the children that sat around this table,
Touched it with their laughter, and that was good.

Morningside, the old man died.
And no one cried, he surely died alone.
And truth is sad,
For not a child would claim the gift he had.
The words he carved became his epitaph......
"For my children"

BobW Robinson
07-07-2007, 2:22 AM
I'd get asked, "Did you sign this piece?".

This is what started me off. People wanted their piece signed. Now if it is a large piece I fix a "makers mark", otherwise just sign and date.

Chuck Lenz
07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Maybe I should quit signing and dateing my work because someone thinks it's not right. You bet. I'll get right on that.

Rick Gibson
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
DIL got me an electric branding iron from Lee Valley a couple years ago so I use it and a penny from the current year for just about everything. Especially stuff for family.

Carl Eyman
07-07-2007, 6:01 PM
Not only do I sign and date, but I include the name of the person I made it for. Perhaps no one will ever care, but I do.

Per Swenson
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Yup,

As a matter of fact we do.

I also leave time capsules,

in the columns, in the coffered ceilings, behind the paneling, door jambs....

Some times witty, some times not.

Such as if you are reading this I hope its a repair and I am a hundred years dead and your not a fireman or something.

Ahh, you get the idea.

Per

Gary Keedwell
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Pretentiousness?;)

Rob Will
07-08-2007, 12:34 AM
When I eventually make something you better believe I'm going to sign it. For now, I'm certainly in awe of some of the projects posted here.

My great great great grandfather was a skilled furniture maker who came here from Germany. I have a piece or two that he made......I sure wish he had left me a note.

In this hyper-stimulated world with planned activities for the kids, 100 TV channels, DVD's, iPods, digital pictures, text messaging, and the Internet.......word of mouth is getting hard to come by. (Has anybody seen my kids?) I should have recorded everything my grandmother told me. Stories like the first automobile she ever saw.....stories about her great-grandfather making furniture. In this fast-moving world I worry that I can not tell the stories as she did. In fact, I know I can't so perhaps it is lost.

Oh yeah, that's the biggest reason I built a wood shop. To slow down, create family time, and hopefully create a few "memories" for the future.

This past winter I cut a 44" diameter Poplar tree into lumber. I took a few pictures of my elderly dad, my 3 year-old daughter, and myself standing by the big log. (Lots of cherry and walnut to go with it.) Now let's say I can succeed in making a piece of furniture for my daughter out of that lumber. Is that worth signing?

Rob

Gary Keedwell
07-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Great post.... I think you definetly know how to tell a great story. I often wonder about what kind of memories are being created in this fast paced world. Every where I go..someone has a thing stuck to his ear.:confused:
Gary K.

Rob Will
07-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Not only do I sign and date, but I include the name of the person I made it for. Perhaps no one will ever care, but I do.

Carl,
I think that's a good way of doing things.
Thanks for posting.
Rob