PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Zambus Casters

Charles Grosjean
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I really like Zambus casters, but they are quite pricey. In my search for a cheaper alternative, I came across Great Lakes Caster(888/722-7837, very obvious web address).

They stock a $12 leveling caster; not as well executed as Zambus, but 1/3 the price [of an AC-300]. I called to find out if they had a heavier duty version and they ordered a KC-60 from their supplier. Having received it, the design and construction appear to be similar to Zambus and Footmaster (another brand). All three are manufactured in Korea, but the KC-60 is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an AC-600 or GD-60! Spec wise, the KC-60 is closest to the GD-60.

Great Lakes also has a nice large selection of other casters and I was pleased with their pricing and service.

Bill Huber
07-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Good looking caster and a good price.

I have never seen a caster like that but it does look like it would be what I need for my new TS stand.

How do you adjust them and is it quick and easy?

John Bush
07-04-2007, 1:18 AM
Hi Charles,
Perfect timing! I just posted on the turners forum asking about mobility for a 1000# lathe. The GLC site only listed the smaller (220#) leveling caster and the Footmaster site didn't list prices for te comparable caster. Were you able to get comparable prices from both suppliers?

Doug Shepard
07-04-2007, 7:49 AM
Nice find. Can you tell any difference in the way they work compared to the Zambus? Do they roll as smoothly?

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2007, 9:46 AM
That geometry is the only design that prevents a machine from wobbling under load when you fingers are close to spinning cutters. All the rest of the locking wheel casters are merely devices by which fingers are placed at peril IMNSHO.

John Schreiber
07-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Nice find. Looks like you have to call them as they only have one of their leveling casters on their web site, but they say they have a wide variety available.

Also, knowing that they are called "leveling casters" makes them easier to find on-line. Thanks.

Rob Will
07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
That geometry is the only design that prevents a machine from wobbling under load when you fingers are close to spinning cutters. All the rest of the locking wheel casters are merely devices by which fingers are placed at peril IMNSHO.

To be honest about it, I've never seen a caster like that.
I looked at the BLOG on the GLC site where it has a little annimation, but I can't figure out how these things work.
http://www.greatlakescaster.com/blog.php?blog_id=6&category_id=&start=&arcyear=&arcmonth=&curyear=&curmonth=&curday=
What lifts the machine to the transport position?.
Can somebody fill me in?

Thanks,
Rob

Charles Grosjean
07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
The KC-60 has to be ordered by phone at the present time. It is less than $20/ea. The equivalent Footmaster is about $60 and I can't remember what the larger Zambus was going for, but I think it was $40 - $50.

The casters have a rubber foot on a thumbscrew. You roll your machine into position and then lower the feet with the thumbscrew. Once it touches the floor, you keep on lowering them which raises the machine and unloads the wheel so it can't roll. If you have very heavy machines, there are versions sold with a nut instead of a thumbwheel or a ratcheting lever. More $$$ of course.

I haven't had a chance to use these yet, but don't expect any problems. These casters all have small wheels (~2 - 2.5") to accomodate the leveling feet. If you have rough floors, or gaping expansion joints, they aren't going to work well.

Alister Orme
07-04-2007, 2:05 PM
http://www.orme.com/badgerpond/IMG_0640.JPG
I got this from great lakes a while ago and put them on my feed carts.
I have Zambus/carrymaster in my shop as well and the greatlakes is a tad lighter but will still do the job just as well.
This one has the plate and is their #9320-01-nyl-ipc
The price was alot less than zambus.
Had forgotten about them till I saw this post and thought I'd throw a picture up.

Bill Huber
07-04-2007, 2:18 PM
Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot now I see how they work.

Charles, thanks for finding these and I guess I will get my order in for a set, they look great.

Dave Morris
07-04-2007, 3:54 PM
To those who use leveling casters--

That's the first I've seen of this type of product. Very cool. Cupla questions: do you use the caster to simply take up the slack if the machine wobbles, or do you twist the leveler to raise the foot enough to level the machine? How hard is it to twist the leveling mechanism by fingertip if the leveler is loaded to (approximately) the middle of it's weight range?

Got a couple mobile bases I'd like to make for machines in the 600-1000 lbs. range, these type of casters seem like a good choice provided they are easy to adjust. Just filing the info away for future use...

Doug Shepard
07-04-2007, 5:47 PM
Dave
I only have experience with the Zambus on a MM16 BS (around 600 Lbs). When I installed them I had a neigher help me wrestle the saw up on 4x4's and figured I'd need help tipping it back to remove the 4x4's and let it sit down on the casters. Instead I just kept turning down the foot to raise the saw as high as I could, then pulled out the lumber. Never needed any tools to turn the adjusters but it was a bit stiff at times. You can have each caster set at a different height, so it would be possible to account for wobble as well as have the tool not be level if you go to extremes.

Steve Rowe
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I really like Zambus casters, but they are quite pricey. In my search for a cheaper alternative, I came across Great Lakes Caster(888/722-7837, very obvious web address).

They stock a $12 leveling caster; not as well executed as Zambus, but 1/3 the price [of an AC-300]. I called to find out if they had a heavier duty version and they ordered a KC-60 from their supplier. Having received it, the design and construction appear to be similar to Zambus and Footmaster (another brand). All three are manufactured in Korea, but the KC-60 is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an AC-600 or GD-60! Spec wise, the KC-60 is closest to the GD-60.

Great Lakes also has a nice large selection of other casters and I was pleased with their pricing and service.
Thanks for the source. I ordered a set and concur that these are not really in the same ballpark quality wise with Zambus but, they are not in the ballpark price wise either. For those trying to decide on the best choice for their application, the Great Lakes caster housing appears to be formed sheet metal whereas the Zambus is a heavy casting. Wheel quality appears to be about the same. The Zambus connection flange is much heavier and the leveling pad is much larger and its operating mechanism is easier to operate. Attached are pictures comparing the Zambus AC300 (330 lb capacity) with the Great Lakes LV-1710-NYP-S-M12 (220 lb capacity). The Zambus is on the left and the Great Lakes is on the right.
Steve

Jim Fox
07-13-2007, 9:26 AM
No stake in the company............but I love Great Lakes Caster. I've gotten casters from them on many occasions for home and work. I get the Colson brand with Total Locks for all my projects.

Here are a couple projects with them.

http://www.planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/work/counter2.jpg

http://www.planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/shop/OSS_Station/oss2.jpg

Derek Arita
10-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Just ran across this thread...wanted to ask, whether you're using Zambus or Great Lakes Castors, do they roll over the expansion cracks in garage floors? That's something I always have to be aware of. I've tried lower quality castors and they always get caught up in the cracks or is too small, they have a time getting past the cracks.

john lawson
10-16-2016, 11:09 AM
I have used the Great Lakes casters, and I love them. But they are no longer available under the part numbers/brands that they used to be. I did see one caster from Casterdepot, a GD-40F, that appears to be less robust, and this appears to be the follow on company to Great Lakes. Really disappointing, Great Lakes had a great product.

On another note, it seems that Google no longer returns nearly as much useful information on searches, such as Great Lakes casters, as it used to. Most of the information it gives is geared to Amazon or some other mega seller vs. the more obscure search results that used to be so useful.