PDA

View Full Version : GRRippers have arrived - PICS

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Well....I got my GRR-Rippers in that I ordered via SMC yesterday and had a chance to watch the DVD, put them together and play with them on my TS, router table and jointer tonight. Here is my initial review:

They are well made and the flexability of the configuration of them are something. The assembly was easy and the pads on the botton of each leg REALLY hold the stock very well. The DVD is well worth the money as they go through how to assemble it, how to use it on the various tools and cover the safety aspects of the GRR-Ripper during use.

The first pic shows the GRR-Rippers after I had assembled them. I say "them" because I bought two of them.

The second pics shows me setup to use one of them on cutting some poplar that would normally be too short for me to feed through by hand. One thing to take note on using the GRR-Rippers.....Blade height is a serious consideration BEFORE you make a cut as well as the position of the gripping feet!!! DAMHIKT!!!!

The third pic shows the resulting cut on a standard Amana Rip blade. Before when feeding by hand, I would have noticable saw marks in the cut edge of the wood. You can see that the newly ripped edge of the board is smooth and free of saw marks. A nice improvement of cut quality for ripping such a short piece of wood. I also noticed that the safety factor on this type of cut is very much improved over hand feeding and carrying the off-cut piece through the entire cut process is great as well since I don't have to worry about the off-cut floating around the spinning saw blade.

The fourth pic shows the results of cutting a few pieces of 1/4" thick slices of the same poplar. Once again, the cuts are smooth and saw mark free.

The last pic shows a setup for using two of them for ripping a long piece of wood by using what they call the "leap frog" method. Moving one GRR-Ripper behind the other during the cut so you don't loose control of the wood throughout the entire cut. I examined the freshly sawn edges and the edges are still saw mark free.

On the router table they work equally well. The control of cut is very good and no snipe marks on the tail end of the boards. This alone made me happier.

On the jointer, I did notice that I had better control of the wood and my hands and fingers were noticably at a safer distance that previously feeding by hand. I also noticed that there was less vibration to my hands during the jointing process as the pads on the feet absorbed a good bit of the vibration while the wood was being jointed.

Overall, I would say that the GRR-Ripper is a very good purchase and by adding to the safety factor on each of the power tools I tested them on is enough to save me on possible future hospital bills......

Thanks Keith and SMC for a nice product, the discount and adding to the overall safety of using power tools in the shop!!!

John Weber
01-15-2004, 12:57 AM
Dennis,

Nice review, I'm going to check the wood show this weekend, but it looks like you are going to cost me some money.

John

Terry Hatfield
01-15-2004, 1:09 AM
d,

You bought 2 'cause your gonna send me one....right???? :D

t

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2004, 1:12 AM
Dennis,

Nice review, I'm going to check the wood show this weekend, but it looks like you are going to cost me some money.

John

<b>Now John!!!!</b> You KNOW I can't cost you any money!! Well, can I? ;)

I can say John that these are a lot better than all the push sticks I have used and the material control in my experimenting results in a better controlled cut and a cleaner cut. I won't say a lot more right now as I prefer to use them for a few weeks of real world application before I can 100% state that I am sold on them....but so far...it looks promising!!! I am really liking the improved safety of them as my hands don't ever get close to the spinning blade and no burn marks or blade marks has so far sold me on the GRR-Rippers. I feel at this point, it is money well spent......LOML said that if they save me from ONE mishap on any machine, they will have paid for themselve in the cost savings of doctor bills. :)

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2004, 1:24 AM
d,

You bought 2 'cause your gonna send me one....right???? :D

t

Uh-Hugh...... ;)

I will have to bring them up to your place and let you try them out. So far, I really like them. How's the new edge sander?

I replaced the belt on my Performax and it works better now. Cost was just under $37 including shipping from Woodworkers Warehouse.

Got that EC done yet?

Terry Hatfield
01-15-2004, 1:52 AM
I wasn't kidding!!! :D

The edge sander is GREAT!!! I should have bought one a long time ago. It's even better with some good Klingspor belts on it.

NO...Im not done with the EC. Looks like it might be a bit. Payton has recuiting visits scheduled for the next couple of weekends. Might stop by your place Sat. night if'n you are going to be home. We're going to Belhaven College in Jackson. MS this weekend. I'll probably need a break..if you know what I mean...about Conway. :D

I got my new conveyor belt too. I bought it from Klingspor when I ordered the new EC belts. It was $35. Haven't had time to get it on, but it's got lots more grip than the old wore out one. Hopefully it will solve the trouble.

t

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2004, 2:31 AM
I wasn't kidding!!! :D

Might stop by your place Sat. night if'n you are going to be home. We're going to Belhaven College in Jackson. MS this weekend. I'll probably need a break..if you know what I mean...about Conway. :D

t

Terry.....we'll be here....just stop on by and we'll see if we can cook up some kind of desert for ya to "refresh on" while you are here. :)