PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it!

Randy Klein
07-03-2007, 8:37 PM
I finally flattened the back of my plane iron!

That may not sound like much of an accomplishment, but it is something I have been working at off and on (mostly off) for about 6 months on waterstones, sandpaper, scary sharp sandpaper, diamond stones, belt sander, and the side of the grinding wheel (ok, that was a mistake).

I must have read every which way to do it but still couldn't do it myself. I was rather frustrated.

And then I happened upon this article (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011169030.pdf) at FWW by David Charlesworth. (The link requires a subscription, but if you're having trouble like I was, it is well worth it.) He described how to flatten the back of iron with waterstones in great detail in, what I think is, an unconventional manner. And no, it's not the ruler trick. Half the time you're sharpening, the actual edge is off the stone. Weird huh.

But...

Now that I am able to flatten the back, I don't feel bad about stepping away from waterstones and heading towards the Veritas Power Sharpening System. Waterstones are just too messy for me. Oh well.