PDA

View Full Version : rocking bike storage

craig carlson
01-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Hello,

My daughter has out grown her motorcycle and I'm planning on storing it up in the attic. My thought was to wrap it in plastic and store it in the rafters where the temperture extremes would be from 20 degrees in the winter to 120 degrees in the summer. The wood is all naturally finished with tong oil and wiping poly. It will probadly be up there 'til she has her own kids in 15 to 20 years. Do you think I'm OK with putting it in plastic bags?

Thanks,
Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca.

craig carlson
01-14-2004, 11:54 PM
OK I think I got the picture attached this time, The wood is walnut, oak, purpleheart,puduke and koa.

Craig

John Weber
01-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Craig,

That's to nice to go in the attic, really beautiful. If it has to go I think a sheet would be better then plastic at least it could breath. But I would really try to fine a better place. I think the wood might be ok in an attic, but the finish may take a beating. Do you have a corner in the den, dry basement, even hanging (protected in a sheet from the garage ceiling, might be better then the temp extremes in the attic.

Beautiful Work, I hope you fine a good place to store it.

John

P.S. I have a 1 year old, you could send it to me, I'll put it in the living room...

Dick Parr
01-15-2004, 7:54 AM
Craig, as John said that's to nice to store anywhere. Nice work.

Jason Roehl
01-15-2004, 7:59 AM
I'm with John--no plastic. You may get condensation inside the plastic which would be far worse for the wood than any temp extremes. A canvas dropcloth would be the way to go to cover it, but storing it in a conditioned space would be ideal if at all possible.

Eric Porter
01-15-2004, 9:18 AM
Craig,
You could send it to me in South Carolina, and I will be glad to store it in my son's room. The temp. range won't be near as vast as your attic, but it might some damage from use.

All kidding aside, that is a beautiful piece of work, and I would appreciate it if you could tell me more about the design. Did you design it? If so, would you mind sending me drawings, or dimensions? If you purchased plans could you tell me where?

Thanks,
Eric

Mike Cutler
01-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I gotta echo the other sentiments also. That is too nice to store in an attic. If I had to store it anywhere for an extended lenght of time I'd probable wrap it in old bedsheets and find a more moderate place to store it. It does look really nice tho'

Scott Coffelt
01-15-2004, 4:07 PM
I built one for my son 4 years ago as well. I really like your accents. I included a side car on mine and have been thinking the same thing. Its currently in his room and I have plans to make a nice Lego/play table. If that is to be done the bike has to go.

I won't be able to get it in my attic, but I was thinking of building a crate for it. Add air holes and then cover with a sheet inside. The crate would prtect from things banging into it. I will store in the basement or garage.

Mine is Walnut, Cherry and Maple and has a lacquer finish.

Nice work.

Rob Littleton
01-15-2004, 6:38 PM
I really love that machine.

I echo the thoughts of the Craig who asked for the plan details etc.....it is really beautiful.

Of course, since we are in the same state, dont ship it NC, I will be more than happy to come get it :-)

Nice work bro.....

craig carlson
01-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I'd like to thank all of those that gave me the kudo's that I've recieved. ( now if we can only have a spell checker here! ) As far as storage, based on your input, I will use painters canvas instead of plastic. I thought that the plastic would keep the bugs out more than a cloth media. I really have no other place to store it and I autographed and dated it to my daughter.

After doing some digging, I've found some of the plans ( or most of them anyway, you have to remember that this was 5 years ago ) They are really rough and plain and I was somewhat disappointed when I saw them but a little work fixed that. I got them from: American Indian motorcycle Co. 486 Rich Gulch rd., Mokelumne Hill, Ca. 95245, 209-286-1232. I looked over all the papers that I have and couldn't find a copywright symbol on any of the plans but am reluctant to copy them, they are "D" size drawings. If you're really serious contact me @ stevic@sonic.net I could send you .pdf files of their assembly pic's and those arn't pretty either.

Craig

Actually I'm a Harley guy and not an Indian fan.

Scott Coffelt
01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
I didn't take it as far, but its a Harley. :D

craig carlson
01-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Scott, It's an Indian Chief. I still have a Harley although I don't ride it much (it's part of my retirement portfolio =8-) ) Craig