PDA

View Full Version : Primus 711 Gloat

Michael O'Sullivan
07-03-2007, 8:04 PM
I bought a Primus 711 for $85 today. If I knew how to compress my pix, I would post. It does have a ding on one of the back corners that results in a slight protrusion. I was going to shave that down with a chisel -- is that the right way to go?

Wilbur Pan
07-03-2007, 8:14 PM
I don't have any western style wooden planes, but I do use Japanese wooden planes, and yes, I would use a chisel to fix a similar defect if it was on one of my Japanese wood planes.

One thing to keep in mind: don't use sandpaper on the protrusion. The last thing you want on a smoothing plane is for a bit of the sandpaper abrasive to embed itself into the sole of your wooden plane where it will scratch up any piece of wood you plane in the future.

Please post how you like this plane!

Pam Niedermayer
07-03-2007, 9:26 PM
This is an excellent plane, Michael. I don't have one, got into Japanese smoothers instead, but a few years ago I took a woodworking class at the local CC. After one of the other students found out I was into hand tools, he brought in a newly sharpened 711P for me to try. It was great fun.

Pam

Mark Singer
07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
It is a great plane! I use it very often and still rely on it for serious figured wood..

Michael O'Sullivan
07-28-2007, 2:24 PM
OK -- I figured out how to resize pictures, so here are a couple. The second shows the ding in the corner. I have managed to smooth that out with a chisel.