PDA

View Full Version : Mobile worktable

Marc Prudhomme
07-03-2007, 8:00 PM
I have finished my worktable and I want to mount some wheels on it to make it mobile.Does anyone have any good ideas for wheels and a way to lock the table down after transport to make it fimly planted on the floor.
Marc

Steve Kohn
07-03-2007, 9:28 PM
Check out the NYW plan on Norm's worktable.

Roy Hill
07-03-2007, 9:38 PM
Hey Marc,

Get you a copy of Wood Magazine's latest "America's Best Home Workshops". There is a couple of ideas in there. Look on page 60 and page 90. Plus, there are lot more great ideas for your shop.

Roy

Ted Jay
07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I have finished my worktable and I want to mount some wheels on it to make it mobile.Does anyone have any good ideas for wheels and a way to lock the table down after transport to make it fimly planted on the floor.
Marc

What table?......... He said he finished a table............ a worktable at that. Do you know what's missing? AHEM................................

glenn bradley
07-04-2007, 1:25 AM
I'm also having trouble with my eyes as I see no worktable . .. . ;-)

Here's the high end solution:

http://www.zambus.com/

Rich Engelhardt
07-04-2007, 7:17 AM
Hello Marc,
I built a frame out of 2x4's and mounted some 3" wheels from Harbor Freight to the bottom for "FrankenKart".

2 are swivel wheels with locks and two are fixed.
I'm not overly satisfied with the results. It's ok to wheel around empty, but the wheels are too small once it has some weight in/on it.

Plan "B" is going to be taking the 2x4 frame off and replacing it with a metal frame made out of an old bedframe.
I'm also going to relace the hard locking wheels with larger pneumatic ones - HF has them for ~ $5.00.
To lock it down once it's in place, I plan to drill through the metal frame and run 4 carriage bolts, round head down, through and secure with nuts on both sides. That should allow three things:
- A way to level it
- A much more secure "lock down" than what the locking wheels provide.
- An option for putting "outriggers" on the base.

Metal bed frames are super cheap. Hit a couple/few garage sales and you can pick up one for a couple of bucks. Their strong - but the steel is soft enough to drill easily.

Tom Clark FL
08-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Marc

Marc,

I used these 5" casters bought for $5 ea on sale at Harbor Freight. Only the swivel casters have locks on them but the table stays fairly stationary.

Tom

Jim Hill 2
08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I use locking rolling casters from Woodcraft on all my shop cabinets. They are very solid and have held up well after years of use. I use all locking so I only need to get to two of them to lock the cabinet in place.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989

Keith Outten
08-10-2007, 2:58 PM
Marc,

Check out my new leather apron thread. There are a couple of pictures, the first pic includes my hydraulic shop table. Nothing could replace this table in my shop, its built for up to 700 pounds and moves up and down with ease. There are two small woodworking vises on the opposite side and several holes in the top for clamping. It doubles as an outfeed table behind my table saw and helps me unload my truck. I can also stack several sheets of ply or 12 foot long sheets of Corian and roll them up to my saw or CNC router.

When I need space I can drop tha table to the floor and stand it up against the wall out of the way. Oh, it came with the wheels :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63287

Don Taylor
08-10-2007, 4:18 PM
I use locking rolling casters from Woodcraft on all my shop cabinets. They are very solid and have held up well after years of use. I use all locking so I only need to get to two of them to lock the cabinet in place.

I second the WoodCraft casters. The brakes hold really well. The table doesn't move!

http://dontee.sistmllc.com/worktable/

Notice I took the large casters off and replaced them with the WoodCraft.
Also, as small as those wheels are, I have loaded that work table down and it still just glides across the room.
DT

Brad Townsend
08-10-2007, 7:54 PM
Those of you who mentioned using Harbor Freight casters, how did you get the smell out of them? I bought a couple from them one time and they stunk so bad I couldn't use them in my shop. It is my conclusion that they are the main source of the distinctive (or "distinktive") Harbor Freight atmosphere.

Frank Stolten
08-11-2007, 1:52 AM
Here's another vote for the Woodcraft double-locking swivel casters. They are solid as a rock, no wiggle of any kind. While they're a bit more expensive, in this case you definitely get what you pay for. I reluctantly bit the bullet after buying and returning less expensive casters from several well known sources that just didn't lock up securely. These same casters are also sold by Peachtree at the same price as Woodcraft but, at the traveling woodworking shows, you can usually buy them in Peachtree's booth at around a 40% discount. It's a great buy if you're going to be needing casters.

Darren Ford
08-13-2007, 7:01 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but Tom, that is a very nice shop. Whats that on the floor ?

Tom Clark FL
08-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but Tom, that is a very nice shop. Whats that on the floor ?

I hate to say because everyone will find out what a nut I am. Would you believe a floor protecting device? How about something to make standing on concrete more comfortable? How about a pad to keep from scratching up my cabinets when I am building them? Actually, I went into a local carpet company and asked if they had any inexpensive remnates the color of sawdust. About $80 bucks and I had a 11x15 rug to make working a lot more comfortable. There are a lot more photos in America's Best Home Workshops, starting on page 36.

Eddie Darby
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I have had good success with these wheels:

The price is right, and they go on sale every so often.

I used 4 double locking swiveling 3" casters so I could move my table in any direction.