PDA

View Full Version : Stealth gloat: My new Powermatic drill press makes noise.

Bill Wyko
07-03-2007, 5:50 PM
Just got a new powermatic 2800 drill press and it seems to make a little vibration along with a slight noise. I'm hoping it's just the belt flatspotting from sitting in the box. Has anyone ever had this problem. (Please excuse the mess around the drill press. The electrical is being put in the new shop.:D

Chuck Wintle
07-03-2007, 5:56 PM
Were you able to inspect the belt? Maybe the belt is damaged somehow?

Bill Wyko
07-03-2007, 6:24 PM
I would check it but it takes a screw driver about a foot long. I just called Powermatic and they said to let it run for about 1/2 an hour and it should smooth out the belt. Thanks :)

Michael O'Sullivan
07-03-2007, 7:37 PM
The other easy thing to check is whether the pulleys are secure. On my Grizzly DP, one of the bolts came loose, and it was running a little loud. I didn't realize anything was wrong until the drill started freezing in the middle of the cut. My first reaction was that I had not realized that there was a clutch. Then I realized that it was not a clutch, but the belts slipping.

Doug Shepard
07-03-2007, 8:42 PM
I bought a new tool today too.:D Only mine was $22, and on the way out I stopped and drooled over that PM drill press for a good 10 minutes. I can sure see why you bought one.

Kim Spence
07-04-2007, 1:56 AM
My dad's had same problem, believe he had to replace the belts to get it to quiet down and quit vibrating.

Andrew Williams
07-04-2007, 8:05 AM
Are the pulleys machined or cast?

Max Acbuilder
07-04-2007, 8:55 AM
I've had the Powermatic for a couple of months. Yes the vibration is going away. I also bolted it to the floor. Major improvement. I am also wondering if a link belt would help.

Tim Marks
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I saw one of those in Woodcraft for the first time last week. Definitely a thing of beauty. PM did a great job with that drill press.

The table casting is smooth and the t-slots well machined (unlike my Grizzly 20 where the slots were cast, never machined to meet any sort of tolerence), and the extndable wings on the table are a great idea.

Don Bullock
07-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Bill, congratulations on the new DP. I hope it starts working properly.

Mike Wilkins
07-05-2007, 9:11 AM
Nice score. I am still using the 70's model Rockwell DP. Built like a tank.
As for belts: ditch the original belt and install some link belts. Lots of folks have switched to these on their own DP's, as well as tablesaws and other machines that use a belt drive.
Lots of vibration problems can be traced to the belts. If it still continues after switching belt drives, you may have a pulley problem. And a warranty concern.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Bill White
07-05-2007, 1:30 PM
While we are on drill presses and link belts....Is there an issue with link belts causing excessive wear on cast pulleys? I have a '50s era King & Seeley (Craftsman) floor model. I think it would benefit from the links if they would not cause a prob w/ the pulleys.
Bill

Brian Penning
07-05-2007, 1:48 PM
A link belt made a big improvement on my DP.
FWIW helped my Bandsaw also.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I haven't taken the cover off yet but I did let it run for about 1/2hour and it seemed to quiet it down. I'm still goint to see what makes it tick as soon as I get a screw driver long enough to remove the cover.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-05-2007, 3:24 PM
Hey Bill,
Belt issue aside, please feel free to share your overall opinion on your new drill press after taking it thru the paces. It sure looks great in the picture.

Enjoy!
-Jeff :)

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 8:26 PM
I haven't had to drill anything yet but I did drill some scraps. I especially like the cross hair Lazar indicator and the lighting system doesn't cast any shadows that would effect your visibility in anyway. as far as power goes, it'll run right through any wood cleanly, no catching at any speed and no loss of power at any time. All in all, I would say it's the best drill press for the money I could buy. I give an "A-" to this one.