PDA

View Full Version : Gots me a new toy - an 8GB iPhone!

Dave Fifield
07-03-2007, 3:24 PM
No, I didn't line up at one of the stores. I simply cruised on by my local AT&T store around 10am Saturday morning, waited a couple of minutes in line, and was out of there with my new iPhone in less than 15 minutes total.

Getting it activated took a few hours, with no real issues to speak of. I transferred my old cellphone number from a different service provider without any problems.

I have been playing with it for the past couple of days. It's a wonderful piece of technology! Does pretty much everything I'd want it to do. I can connect up to WLAN's anywhere they have open AP's or will give me a passcode....makes the internet connection real fast and nice to use.

Personally, I don't have any issues with the touchscreen keyboard response (or lack of it). It works just fine for me.

Any other 'creekers get one yet? If you're a fence-sitter, let me assure you that you won't regret it - take the plunge!!

Photos soon.....

Cheers,

Art Mulder
07-03-2007, 3:32 PM
blah blah blah blah
I'm not LISTENING to you!!!

;)

Tim Morton
07-03-2007, 4:48 PM
No ATT service in vermont or i would have one in my hands right now:mad: :mad: :mad:

Mitchell Andrus
07-03-2007, 5:07 PM
I've got a 2 yo Treo 650 (love it) and I'd probably like to have an iphone 'cause I am the world's biggest gadget freak... but I'm not getting one 'cause I don't NEED one. So there!

How's THAT for self control???

Jeff Kerr
07-03-2007, 5:46 PM
Ahh,

That sounds like a cool toy.

I stopped at our local store last night with my teenager son. Thought we would do a little window drooling, (I mean shopping).

Anyway, no phone on display. We waited our turn and the young man said that the store was too small to get a display but he had the phone in stock to purchase.

I told him I was not a buyer but would like to see one if that was OK. He said no problem and disappeared into the back for a few. When he came back he handed me a sealed shrink-wrapped box. :eek: Oh if you want to see what is inside you have to buy it.:confused:

Oh well, someday I'll see one in action.

Bruce Page
07-03-2007, 6:01 PM
What's an iPhone?

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 9:31 PM
Regardless of whether any of us buy an iPhone or not, I will predict that this device will have a profound effect on other devices that become available over time, especially on things like user interface. For now, I'm quite happy with my E62 (outside of it's lack of WiFi that the E61 has...) but I've also found some nice applications to "spruce it up" based on an article this past week on MSNBC.com relative to adding some iPhone-like features/apps to non-iPhone phones, as it were...

Congrats on your new toy, Dave!

Jim Dunn
07-03-2007, 10:48 PM
What's an iPhone?

Is that spelled eyephone? Nice tool/toy you got there.

Pat Germain
07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Be sure to let us know when you successfully order a few big iron tools with your iPhone, Dave. Then I'll really be impressed. ;) Oh, and I mean strictly online, not via voice.

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2007, 7:16 PM
I've got a cell. No camera in it. I do the on call rotation thing. Maybe I'm jsut a curmudgeon, but I don't want to be that available when I'm not on call.

Matt Meiser
07-04-2007, 7:23 PM
I'd like to get something that I can use to check my mail, get directions, etc, but after pricing the plans with data access I doubt I'll be doing it any time soon. We use Sprint since they have the best coverage around here from my experience and everyone in my family uses Sprint so we can all call each other for free.

Jeff Moffett
07-04-2007, 8:30 PM
Congrats on your new toy, Dave. I'm a fence sitter. I've been using a Treo 650 for the past several years, but I'm ready for an upgrade. After doing some research, I discovered that the iPhone has one major missing component for me....is doesn't synchronize with MS Outlook. When they come out with a version that allows me to sync contacts, calendar, and tasks, I'll be standing in line.

Matt Meiser
07-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm guessing an iPhone will sync with Outlook about the same time it gets really cold in Hades :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 8:40 AM
You're probably right, Matt, but they are going to have to consider the market on that one. Exchange and Notes have the Lion's share of the corporate email/calendar market, although there are other ways to sync. If they want to get in business folks' pockets, they will have to work on issues like this.

My "sync with Exchange" on my E62 is via Goodlink and it brings over email, calendar and address book/directory information. So far, it's been great and I feel less tied to a PC when I'm out and about. Of course, it's the same as the "Crack-berry"...one may feel compelled to, umm...check email...at times that maybe are not the best... ;)
-----

Dave, are services like Goodlink and Blackberry Connect available on the iPhone?

Joe Chritz
07-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Wonder how it will survive a drop from 10 feet onto concrete or getting ripped off a belt and kicked across a 7-11 parking lot?

Those have both happened to my motorola i560. As well as many other smaller impacts.

I would love to have web but I am a tad hard on electronics. It looks like a really cool system and I can't wait for someone I know to get one I can play with.

Joe

Dave Fifield
07-05-2007, 3:28 PM
I have heard of one surviving a 6' drop onto a hard floor already. I think the glass front is really tough.

For my work email, I really don't care about it being able to sync with Microsoft Outlook Exchange Servers. I simply had our IT guy copy my incoming mail to a private email ID (on one of my domains) that I simply POP the email from every half hour. Easy as pie. I never use the calendar, tasks and address book features in Outlook anyway.

It seems there are loads of open WLAN AP's all over the place. I don't think I've had to use the AT&T EDGE data service yet!

I'm still loving it!

Cheers,

Chris Padilla
07-05-2007, 5:21 PM
Dave,

No pics?? Hmmm..... ;)

Cisco and Apple had some "fun" with that name.... ;)

Matt Meiser
07-05-2007, 5:28 PM
Cisco and Apple had some "fun" with that name.... ;)

Was that actually settled, or did Apple just go ahead with infringing on the trademark?

Chris Padilla
07-05-2007, 6:11 PM
Last I read on my company's site, it was settled "out of court" and I don't know the terms of that settlement. What do I know, I just work here. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 7:35 PM
Yes, it was settled out of court.

Dave Fifield
07-06-2007, 4:33 AM
Picture proof.....enjoy! :D

http://www.woodust.com/DF_iPhone.jpg

Cheers,

Chris Kalkowski
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't even have a phone with a camera yet. Let alone MP3, internet etc.

Matt Meiser
07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Many of the companies I've done work for don't allow camera phones so it would actually be a drawback to me. I've seen several companies that have a posted policy that you need to leave camera phones in your car or at security. A few GM facilities I've been to actually check your phone.

Glenn Clabo
07-08-2007, 5:32 AM
Can't have camera or bluetooth for security reasons. I think it's silly...

Matt Meiser
07-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Especially when you can walk in and out with a severa--GB device on your keychain that any computer in the place will read.

Per Swenson
07-09-2007, 5:42 PM
I'm getting one!

As soon as they are a hunnerd bucks.:p

Per

Rick Gibson
07-10-2007, 8:56 PM
Retired and can't think of a reason to get a cell phone let alone an I phone. Never could figure out why I would get a phone so someone I don't really want to talk to can call me and I get to pay for the call.

Jim Dunn
07-10-2007, 9:29 PM
Picture proof.....enjoy! :D

http://www.woodust.com/DF_iPhone.jpg

Cheers,

Looks like Dave just got his NO SERVICE/FIRST BILL look there:D:D:D

Art Mulder
07-10-2007, 9:38 PM
Retired and can't think of a reason to get a cell phone let alone an I phone. Never could figure out why I would get a phone so someone I don't really want to talk to can call me and I get to pay for the call.

Rick, my cell phone comes with an "off" button. The only time it gets turned on is when *I* (or my wife) wants to make a call. I can count on one hand the number of incoming calls I've taken on that in the last year

Really, the non-phone aspects of the iPhone are what I find more intriguing.

Rick Gibson
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Rick, my cell phone comes with an "off" button. The only time it gets turned on is when *I* (or my wife) wants to make a call. I can count on one hand the number of incoming calls I've taken on that in the last year

Art this is true but after messing with Ham Radio and building most of my own equipment, working in electonics in nuclear power plants for the last 30 years about as high tech as it gets around here any more is my desktop computer system (Intel core 2 duo) I'd rather spend my spare money on wood. Besides you know where Bothwell is, it probably wouldn't work here anyway other than Rogers with their new tower most don't.

Jim Becker
07-11-2007, 1:49 AM
Oh man...what a time to be without my photo editing software...that "face" is just begging to be made into an avatar or three!! LOL

Art Mulder
07-11-2007, 7:48 AM
Oh man...what a time to be without my photo editing software...that "face" is just begging to be made into an avatar or three!! LOL

I tried, Jim, since you suggested it... But even at 50x50 saved with 75% quality, I can't get it below 28k, and the profile page says 19.5K...
67778 67779
... too much detail in the image? And the one with the iPhone has too much detail to shrink well. It's hard to figure out what he's got there.

Do you you use PS Elements or something else? I used Gimp.

Jim Becker
07-11-2007, 9:26 AM
Art, resave it in GIF format for an Avatar. ;)

I use Elements. I just don't have it on this machine.

Glenn Clabo
07-11-2007, 9:59 AM
Does this work for ya...

Art Mulder
07-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Art, resave it in GIF format for an Avatar. ;)

A-Ha!!! How's this then?

ETA: no, those are still more than 50x50. Try this:

Shoot. I knew that GIF was smaller than JPEGs for these situations. Forgot.

...art

ps: Sorry, Dave.