PDA

View Full Version : Need your advice

Joyce Baldauf
07-03-2007, 1:14 PM
My turning club is considering the purchase of the first year of Woodturning Workshop from RSU Public Television with host Tim Yoder. My local Public TV station does not carry this program, therefore, I would like those of you lucky enough to have seen it to chime in and tell me if you think it is worth spending $260.00 + $10.00 shipping for the 26 episodes. I realize that is only a little over $10.00 per episode, but our club is only in its 3rd year and our treasury is not large.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason Beam
07-03-2007, 1:20 PM
I absolutely LOVE The Woodturning Workshop. I was getting it here until about a month ago. My local PBS stopped carrying it, much to my dismay.

Tim's got a way about him that lightens the mood quite a bit. I've seen many of the episodes and he goes through quite a range of things. In the ground to on the table was good - a 3 part series of cutting down a tree and eventually making a bowl out of it. He's also done small stuff like pens and baby rattles (one of the best rattles i've seen).

His sense of humor is really my favorite part of the show. Even if I have no intention of turning a gavel, watching him do it is still an enjoyable activity for me. I miss the show already :(

Patrick Taylor
07-03-2007, 1:44 PM
I agree, he's really a good host. Each show he does a project start to finish and explains what he's doing as he goes. (unlike other formats where the host picks a particular technique and really focuses on that for a long time) His manner is quite good and my wife and I enjoy watching together.

He's also very friendly and approachable, PM me if you want his email to ask any questions directly. I think the advertised price of the episodes is $19.95 so it sounds like you're getting a package deal already.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2007, 3:35 PM
PBS just started this spring showing his shows here. Yost has a pleasant aire about him. He demonstrates and explains his techniques quite throroughly and I learn and enjoy his program.

Paul Engle
07-03-2007, 3:44 PM
I have 9 or 10 of Tim' Yoders episodes from pbs in spokane wa and he is no nosense and feel it would be a worth while investment for any club to have. the close up's are good quallity and Tim does a good job of explaining how and why.google his name and it will take you to NOWT site.

Wilbur Pan
07-03-2007, 4:58 PM
Consider this:

There are very few woodturning DVDs available for $10 apiece. Even considering that each episode is 30 minutes, that's $20 per hour which is still less than the vast majority of woodturning DVD's. Plus, you'll be helping to support public broadcasting.

Joyce Baldauf
07-03-2007, 5:43 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. I figured the shows would be good since PBS rarely does anything that isn't. Wilbur, I am all for supporting public broadcasting and think this is certainly a good way to do it.

Thanks again.

Joyce:D

Dale Bright
07-03-2007, 7:42 PM
His manner is quite good and my wife and I enjoy watching together.

Patrick,

Is that show still aired locally? I thought WETA dropped it from their schedule.

Dale

Patrick Taylor
07-03-2007, 9:16 PM
Patrick,

Is that show still aired locally? I thought WETA dropped it from their schedule.

Dale

I used to see it on WETA Create (comcast digital) but have not in a few months. A while back Tim told me he was working on new episodes, maybe for the fall but I'm not sure.