PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice finises his work!

Lee Schierer
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I've been mentoring a young man in woodworking as he has been making two matching nightstands for his wife. They were originally intended to be a wedding gift, but busy schedules and the need to do it right has prolonged the delivery. Last night he came over and we did the final assembly. He did a pretty good job on the finishing. I provided the design for the two night stands trying to bring in elements of their existing furniture which were not match pieces. To match the color of the other pieces we found we had to stain the cherry. The finish is Deft semi-gloss clear wood finish, rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and Johnson paste wax. You can see him here with one of the two pieces. I haven't heard how his wife liked them yet. The color is much more uniform than it appears in the photo. I think the flash washed out the color of the top portion a bit.

Thanks for viewing,

Greg Cole
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice jobs Lee & Apprentice! I am sure the new bride will like them, for the one reason that they were made by her husband if nothing else.
I am a fairly young man myself at 32, but I like to see the craft being taken up by my generation... too many of "us" are wrapped around technological gizzmo's and the latest extreme something or other. Granted initially WW'ing is expensive & time consuming (but aren't all hobbies?), but the satisfaction from making something with what's between the ears and attached to the ends of your arms is something very few of the general public knows....
Congrats on the Apprenticeship and hopefully there is years of projects to come.

Cheers & Happy 4th.

Greg

Charles Jackson III
07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Very nice work, looks like the Apprentice is catching on.

John Schreiber
07-03-2007, 1:50 PM
Congratulations to the new bridegroom for his marriage and his woodworking.

Kudos to you Lee for taking the time to help. I wish I had an opportunity to learn from someone like that.

Grady Cowardin
07-03-2007, 2:30 PM
I am a fairly young man myself at 32, but I like to see the craft being taken up by my generation... too many of "us" are wrapped around technological gizzmo's and the latest extreme something or other.
Greg

I agree. Most of my friends think I am crazy for always being in the garage or working on things around the house. Have a big auto hobby too. Never really understood the whole video game thing and I'd rather go camping to unplug than plug in to the hi-tech stuff. Work has plenty of that. Slowly accumulating my tool collection and would like to increase my skills to that of my grandfather and father. Woodworker and custom home builder respectively. Those nightstands are very nice and when I get to that skill level I will smile just the same. :)

Grady - 29