PDA

View Full Version : turning idea

TYLER WOOD
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Here is a pic of what I am thinking of trying for the inside out. Comments are welcomed as well as ideas for improvement. The light wood will be spalted ash, the drarker will be either black walnut or some other dark wood. The piece will probably be 8" tall, 3 1/2" at the widest, 1 1/2" at the base, and 2" at the rim.

Keith Burns
07-03-2007, 7:37 PM
Looks like a fun project that could have a really nice outcome !! GO FOR IT !!

Jude Kingery
07-03-2007, 7:46 PM
Hey Tyler, Neighbor (it's funny in Texas because you really are pretty close when you're only 150 miles away) . . . I think that's a great idea and upon enlarging the picture, my only suggestion for any "improvement" would be I'd lengthen the neck area of solid wood. In other words, I'd decrease the cuts into the top of the exterior "vase" or shape, to be slightly lower so they balance with the base. If that makes sense! May be the angle of the picture that it seems like the top incisions go too high into the neck, I don't know. I DO think the form, the idea, and the constrast between woods: everything else is terrific. Would like to see a post when you finish, cool idea! Jude

Bill Wyko
07-03-2007, 8:12 PM
Are you going to start with 4 pieces and turn it inside out? then insert the inside? I like the concept. Go for it!:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2007, 9:43 PM
Go for it Tyler. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Blake McCully
07-04-2007, 7:38 AM
Tyler,
What's the significance, purpose, of the wood inside the turning? Since I'm as artistic as a rock, I just can't see what you must. To me, the dark post inside is extremely distracting,

Just my $0.02.

Bob Hallowell
07-04-2007, 8:12 AM
Tyler I agree with Blake, I think the peice would look very nice without the inside peice plus it would be easier for your first inside out peice.

Bob

TYLER WOOD
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
The inside piece of walnut is actualy the vase. The exterior is just a pretty wrapper. I am going to epoxy the interior hollow in the walnut to be able to hold a little water for a few flowers. A useable turned vase for fresh flowers, with a see through interior. I had also thought about using a colored acrylic interior post. Maybe slightly opaque, but not totatlly. I'm just not sure I'm ready to turn that much acrylic.

Do you guys feel the inside would be better to be the same wood? Or is it the interior post as a whole that you guys object to? I don't want just a table top decoration. I would like to be able to use the vase, and the only way to use an inside out is either see flower stems inside or have something interior. Maybe make the walnut only extend halfway down? Any other suggestions on other ideas that I am missing?

Richard Madison
07-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Tyler,
One assumes that you have already considered (and rejected) the idea of using a glass test tube or other cylindrical glass container as the center post and actual flower vase. Just wondering.

TYLER WOOD
07-06-2007, 9:08 AM
Yup! I though about it for a few seconds as my first idea. Then came to the conclusion that I liked the idea of having a contrasting wood in the center area for a focal point. The Outside spalted ash is not going to be a focal point per say. But i Think it will add to the overal idea of the piece. I have also thought about only making the walnut extend about 2" into the center area. Would this be more agreeable/appropriate for the piece? Or is this a let's see what it loos like with a few different ideas in the center, take pics and make a poll. Winner of the poll gets glued in place.

Theory of the idea......A hollow vase with just a small strand of color inside. But somehow te flowers are still there.