PDA

View Full Version : Vice jaw construction

Robert Trotter
07-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I am making a bench with 4" thick Sprice top.
I have a LV twin screw vice and I need to have some vice jaws. 24" centers.
The jaws need to be minimum of 800x210x55mm
But getting hardwood block this size for a reasonable price is hard. But I found a place that I can get some nice stiff wood but it comes in 120x60mm sizes.

But can I joint and glue two together to make the jaws like this...
I am thinking of approx. 900x240x60mm jaws if I can use these.
The screw will probably have to pass through part of the joint.

Will glueing them up like this be weak? I hear that modern glues are stronger than the wood these days so it should not be a problem but I thought I should ask first.

Thanks for your help

Robert

Robert Miller
07-03-2007, 1:05 PM
Because you are going long grain to long grain the glue joint should be stronger than than wood. What I would do is to mill a 1/2 " spline the entire length of the boards use a 1" wide spline to mate the joint together and it will also be useful to align the edges.

John Schreiber
07-03-2007, 1:47 PM
I hear that modern glues are stronger than the wood these days so it should not be a problem but I thought I should ask first.
On a long grain to long grain joint like that you are right. Alignment might be easier with a spline or biscuits, but they won't add any strength.

Good luck on the bench.

Robert Miller
07-03-2007, 3:33 PM
On a long grain to long grain joint like that you are right. Alignment might be easier with a spline or biscuits, but they won't add any strength.

Good luck on the bench.

True, I was thinking that the spline joint would add more glue surface and therefore strength, but it should be pretty strong without the spline if you do not need the alignment help.
When I was building the top on my bench I used half inch splines to align the glue up sections.
Worked great.

Robert Trotter
07-04-2007, 4:37 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

Robert