PDA

View Full Version : Bu... Bu... Bubinga has arrived!

Todd Burch
01-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Well, after sitting at the Roadway terminal since Jan 5th, I was finally able to pick up the two pieces (one BIG crate) of pomele bubinga this afternoon. Apparently, all three customs brokers that got involved in shipping this stuff, treated all the paper work as a hot-potato and would not accept it.

A couple phone calls to the local port of entry US Customs (and homeland security offices...) gave me the answer to what needed to get done to obtain a customs release (this wood came from Canada).

A trip to their office (oh, don't go between noon and 1pm - they go to lunch - hope we're not attacked at 12:05pm any time...) and a fancy smancy hole punch to my shipping documents was all that was needed.

A quick trip to the Roadway terminal and they pushed it off their dock into my ugly (but sturdy) trailer and I drove home to beat the rain.

It was quite a feat to unload it. Each slab weighs between 225 and 250 lbs. I uncrated it while it was still in the trailer. My son (13 years old) was able to hold it vertically balanced while I moved from end to end to slide, drag, tilt, pivot, grunt and push it into the garage.

After touching and feeling this stuff, it is pretty smooth already - not as rough as some rough lumber can be. I think this will merely be a job for my Festool ROS, although I might sneak a Rotex in on it... We'll see how it goes with some coarser grits first. It's just too heavy to feed through a big wide sander. Four men would have to lug it around to do it with any efficiency, even with a cart. Can you spell, unwieldy?

If the sander doesn't work fast enough, I'll rent a floor sander. I won't do anything to it, however, until I get the base made.

The first shot is at the trucking terminal and the second shot I am standing next to it in the midst of unloading it, and trying to not let it fall on me and break a foot or a leg.

Bob Lasley
01-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I dunno about a sander Todd..........I think maybe a scraper plane is the tool to use! :D

Wow, what a chunk of lumber. Whatever you do, take your time and do it well. That is too pretty to chance an oops on.

Good luck,
Bob

Jason Tuinstra
01-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Another proud papa :D

Hey, glad to see you got it today. Every time I see that... that... monstrosity, I'm just amazed. You just don't see that everyday. You and your son must have had a blast uncrating lumber (does that sound weird or is it just me?). I’m sure the table is going to be absolutely stunning – no pressure.

I must admit, though, I had a hard time looking the pic's. They looked almost fake. Come on, where's all the snow? How come people aren't wearing parka's? Where's the ice? :confused:

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Congrats Todd on getting that wood home.!!!! Really nice looking pieces there. I couldn't imagine trying to shove one of those through my planer, jointer or tablesaw in a single piece. :)

Glad all went well and they are safely at your place now. Keep us posted on the project progress and post some pics.

Might try a hand scraper on there to see if you can really cut through all the rough!! ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-15-2004, 6:08 AM
Todd, the smile on your face says it all!!! :D That is one VERY nice chunk of lumber..............I just cannot WAIT to see the outcome of this marvel of nature in your caring hands. WOWZA is an understatement! Thanks for the pics! :)

Terry Quiram
01-15-2004, 7:14 AM
Todd

You are going to have to feed the neighborhood to move that thing when it is finished! :D Would you tell us again where you bought it?

Terry

Keith Starosta
01-15-2004, 7:43 AM
Todd

You are going to have to feed the neighborhood to move that thing when it is finished! :D Would you tell us again where you bought it?

Terry

.........and how thick it is?

Keith

Todd Burch
01-15-2004, 8:15 AM
It's 4/4 stock. If it was 5/4, I would not have been able to lift even one end. I bought it from Century Mill near Ontario, Canada. www.centurymill.com. The guys up there, Jack, Don and Keith were pretty helpful during the process. SMC member Gord Graff posted some pictures of the stuff several months ago and I fell in love with it.

The table will be oval shaped, but probably not race-track oval. I think I'll do a continuous curve, but the client has final say-so. Yesterday I was at his house and we were all designing the lighting for where the table will go (myself, electrician, general contractor, the client couple, and even a painter were all chiming in on placement and lighting.)

It will have a trestle base, and the base will be made to appear heavy. Actually, it needs to be a little heavy to support this top. I'll probably shave 60-80 lbs of wood off one of these slabs to whittle out the table top, so it will still be very heavy.

Thanks for the encouragement with all your faith!

Jim Becker
01-15-2004, 9:32 AM
Bu....bu....BIG!! Nice score. 'Can't wait to see that table...keep us posted.

Chris Padilla
01-15-2004, 12:03 PM
:eek:

What kind of finish are you thinking, Todd?

Todd Burch
01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
A few coats of thinned boiled linseed oil and ML Campbell Duravar - a pretty durable post catalized lacquer.

Ed Falis
01-15-2004, 2:25 PM
... The table will be oval shaped, but probably not race-track oval. ...

Well, realizing that you're a guy who believes in the right tool for the job, you might want to check out the microfence oval guides over at www.microfence.com. Don't know whether it'll do one big enough, but doesn't hurt to check.

Have fun with those slabs - very pretty.

- Ed

Jim Becker
01-15-2004, 2:33 PM
...you might want to check out the microfence oval guides over at www.microfence.com. Don't know whether it'll do one big enough, but doesn't hurt to check.

The MicroFence system is excellent...I'm happy I bought it. (Bill Hylton was also happy when I bought it since it took him three shows to convince me... :D ) While I don't have the oval kit, I've enjoyed the circle capability and have just begun to explore the precision it can offer.

Todd Burch
01-15-2004, 4:08 PM
The Microfence only goes to <43" on the major axis. I could quickly cut it out with a jig saw, but the perfect symmetry that an oval jig would offer would be better. I guess I could make a big oval jig. No big deal I guess. Good idea. (wheels are spinning now...!) Todd

Tom Sweeney
01-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I mean - I guess a fancy elliptical table will be nice & all but maybe you're not thinking htis thing through enough. . . . .

. . . . . Do you know how many pens you can turn out of that thing! :D

Just kidding that is a definate WOW in my book - can't wait till you show us the end result.

Rob Bourgeois
01-16-2004, 11:52 AM
I know its still a bit rough but have you wiped it down with mineral spirits to see the grain. Sure would like a picture of that.

John Shuk
01-20-2004, 8:25 PM
You could use a snowplow as a scraper for that thing!

Roger Barga
01-21-2004, 4:14 AM
I've been looking at this picture for several minutes now and the best I can come up with is "wow", it really is beautiful. I'm sure the table you make from it will be a family heirloom for generations. Please keep us posted on your progress. best, roger

Well, after sitting at the Roadway terminal since Jan 5th, I was finally able to pick up the two pieces (one BIG crate) of pomele bubinga this afternoon. Apparently, all three customs brokers that got involved in shipping this stuff, treated all the paper work as a hot-potato and would not accept it.

A couple phone calls to the local port of entry US Customs (and homeland security offices...) gave me the answer to what needed to get done to obtain a customs release (this wood came from Canada).

A trip to their office (oh, don't go between noon and 1pm - they go to lunch - hope we're not attacked at 12:05pm any time...) and a fancy smancy hole punch to my shipping documents was all that was needed.

A quick trip to the Roadway terminal and they pushed it off their dock into my ugly (but sturdy) trailer and I drove home to beat the rain.

It was quite a feat to unload it. Each slab weighs between 225 and 250 lbs. I uncrated it while it was still in the trailer. My son (13 years old) was able to hold it vertically balanced while I moved from end to end to slide, drag, tilt, pivot, grunt and push it into the garage.

After touching and feeling this stuff, it is pretty smooth already - not as rough as some rough lumber can be. I think this will merely be a job for my Festool ROS, although I might sneak a Rotex in on it... We'll see how it goes with some coarser grits first. It's just too heavy to feed through a big wide sander. Four men would have to lug it around to do it with any efficiency, even with a cart. Can you spell, unwieldy?

If the sander doesn't work fast enough, I'll rent a floor sander. I won't do anything to it, however, until I get the base made.

The first shot is at the trucking terminal and the second shot I am standing next to it in the midst of unloading it, and trying to not let it fall on me and break a foot or a leg.

Alan Turner
01-21-2004, 8:13 AM
Were I in Texas, I would volunteer to be your "helper" on that top. I recently had a commission for some 8/4 cherry shelves (to be permanently installed by the renovation GC), with the wane edge left intact. Off to Groff & Groff, and bought a 3 board flitch of 8/4 cherry, cut nearly at the center of the tree. It was between 27 and 33 inches wide, and 17 ft, 4" long. Most was quartersawn. Similar weight to what you are dealing with. It was no fun to handle, but I did not use near all of it, and saved one chunk that was a bit over 5' long, and about 33" wide, and am trying to figure out what to do with it. I am sure I'll think of something.
My very nice neighbor, who thankfully goes to the gym (what is that anyway?) gave a valued hand. I fixed his son's old family bed a while ago, and wouldn't take anything for it, which was I think one of the best investments I have made. I figured these boards at about 250# each, and poss. a bit more as the 8/4 was 10/4 in places. Had to rough cut it in the garage as I lack an outside entrance to the basement.
In terms of dealing with it for surfacing, I might consider putting it on a sled, wedging it, and paying a shop with a wide belt/drum sander to do the donkey work. It will be hard to hold it flat with a hand held sander, Iwould think.
Have fun with this one, and share some pictures as you go along.
Alan

Rob Russell
01-21-2004, 9:29 AM
Hmmm Todd, I wonder if you strap 2 of those Felder 20" jointer/planers together side-by-side - would that work?

To "joint" a face, I'd think some straight angle iron and your router would work. Make a pair of rails that you mount along the 2 sides of the slab. Another pair of angle iron pieces that you bolt the router to ride on top of those side rails, perpendicular to/running across the slab. A 3/4" straight cutting bit and go to town. You could probably use slotted angle iron, which would make bolting together the router assembly a lot easier.

Once you have a face that's basically flat, then I agree with paying a shop with a wide belt to 1) dimension and 2) surface both sides of the slab.