PDA

View Full Version : Big Lathe Mobility

John Bush
07-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Soon to be getting new lathe @ 1000+# and wondered if/how anyone with heavy units move them. I plan to reconfigure my shop layout over time as I adapt to several new machines and would like the simplicity of fixed castors, etc. Once happy with the layout I won't need to move often, or at all. I haven't seen any OEM mobility stuff for PM4224's and was wondering how others have managed. Thanks, John.

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Lathes are best when they have all their feet on the floor. The best mobility options for them, therefore, insure that there is no "rolling" component touching the floor during turning use. OneWay's optional mobility kit, for example, disengages the wheels from the floor.

When I want to move my Stubby (800 lbs), I use an auto jack to lift each end as I slip in 1/2 of a Vega machinery mover that was left over from my previous machine. Once assembled, I can move the lathe about...and then reverse the process to remove the mobile base. Although that option does, in fact, keep any wheels off the floor, the mobile base, itself, interferes with my feet and is not acceptable to be in place when working at the machine.

You could do the same thing as I do with a couple of inexpensive furniture dollies and a jack. I've also seen folks use a motorcycle lift to create a mobility kit for a lathe if they have a place to store the machine. A hydraulic lift table could also do the same with a machine like the PM 4224 if it's rated for enough weight...just slip it under the ways, offset toward the headstock end for balance. And you also get an adjustable height worktable in the deal, too!

John Bush
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jim,
My cousin has a Nichols lathe(a monster) with integral castors that can be lowered/engaged to raise the machine off its feet by a threaded mechanism, I assume using a standard ratchet, then raised/disengaged to lower the machine back onto its fixed feet. Sounds convenient. One more brainstorming project.

Also, congrats on your anniversary of first young-uns visit. My two daughters are 19 and 21 y.o. so I understand the emotion. As you are well aware, times moves at a high rate of hurry, so enjoy.Congrats to you and you wife and your daughters too.

I guess you are celebrating Independance as well as Dependants week. Best wishes, John.

Kim Ford
07-03-2007, 1:01 PM
John; I do it similar to Jim, car jack and heavy duty dolly. Be careful though those monsters to have a lot of weight high up and have a tendancy to tip over when you are trying to monkey them around.

John Gornall
07-03-2007, 1:08 PM
I'm going to use trailer jacks for my lathe bench. They will be mounted so they can be taken on and off in a few seconds - put into a bracket and held in place by turning the crank to take on some weight. They are cheap and have the capacity. Jacks like this:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4753&categoryID=192

Here's a lathe with these jacks:

http://www.dongeiger.com/trailer.html

Kim Ford
07-03-2007, 2:27 PM
Great Idea. Post a picture when you are done.

John Gornall
07-03-2007, 3:17 PM
Apparently the website showing the lathe has changed since I posted this. It was a Stubby lathe that the turner travels with doing turning demonstrations. Perhaps he would email a picture of the lathe on its jacks:

http://www.dongeiger.com/index.html

Just noticed - the picture is back.

Ed Breen
07-03-2007, 5:12 PM
John,
I use a motor lifter. It has six casters and will pick up 2000#. The front legs unbolt and tip up so I can keep it out of the way. I can move any of my heavy iron around by myself which is important since I'm no longer young and strong. I bought it used for under $100.
Good luck
Ed

John Bush
07-03-2007, 5:33 PM
Thanks Ed,
Is that the same as a transmission jack, or are you suggestng an engine hoist?? Thanks, JCB.

tim mathis
07-03-2007, 8:46 PM
john, a lot of people have put zambus casters on the mm bandsaws. carrymaster sells them . the ac-600 s or ac-600f ( flange mount or stem mount.) they are rated at 661 # each and cost $48.47. the mm bandsaw people love them. a rubber pad comes down and lifts the caster off the floor, from what i have read they are very stable on the pad. this may not be what you are looking for. i think i have decided on the pm 3520b and i was going to give them a try.

John Bush
07-03-2007, 9:25 PM
Thanks Tim,
I think those are the design/brand I was thinking of. How would they attach to the "feet" of the base? I"ve checked the PM site and haven't found any accessory they provide for mobility. When I pick up the lathe Fri. I'll just lift up an end with one hand and feel for a threaded hole under the base with the other hand.

John Gornall
07-06-2007, 3:13 PM
How do these Zambus casters work? There appears to be a red thumbwheel to turn the foot down. Do you just jam it against the floor as a brake or can you actually lift the wheel off the floor? Seems if you were lifting 250 pounds at one corner of a 1000 pound machine you would need a wrench.

Pete Jordan
07-06-2007, 5:30 PM
I have the Zambus and they work very well. You just have to use your thumb.