PDA

View Full Version : Two Years Ago Today...

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 10:54 PM
...we met our daughters for the very first time. You can read some additional commentary in the BLOG (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com) but here is a picture from that first minute...

http://toscax.us/images/summerhosting/h-1.jpg

And just so you can see how the girls have grown, here's a couple of simple montages that show them from the age 9 and 5 they were when they arrived for hosting to their current 11-going-on-12 and 7-goin-on-8.

http://toscax.us/images/webdisplay/N-composite.jpg

http://toscax.us/images/webdisplay/A-composite.jpg

Jeffrey Fusaro
07-02-2007, 11:26 PM
jim--

congrats on your "gotcha" day anniversary!

great looking kids.

they look very happy.

i'm sure you are very proud.

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Jim, You must be extremely proud parents. You have two lovely children. Congratulations on the anniversary of completing your family. :D

Joe Mioux
07-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Jim, what a wonderful anniversary!

The girls are so adorable. They must fill your's and Alison's life with joy.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Jim....To the entire Becker family......."Happy Anniversary!"

Mark Cothren
07-03-2007, 7:00 AM
Congrats Jim!

Art Mulder
07-03-2007, 7:11 AM
Congratulations, Jim. Warms my heart when I read stories about you and your girls.

blessings,
...art

Benjamin Dahl
07-03-2007, 8:31 AM
Jim, congratulations. I am more and more impressed with how caring many members of SMC are. It gives me hope. thanks.

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 8:39 AM
congrats on your "gotcha" day anniversary!

Thanks, Jeffrey.

Not really "gotcha" day...that would be 22 November 2005. 2 July 2005 was the day that our girls arrived in the US for their one month of "hosting"...they lived with us for that month, attended camp, etc., but had to return to Russia at the end of the month. We all then had to wait for the paperwork processing and a court date for finalization. Watching them leave at the end of that month was one of the hardest things I ever experienced in my life...if not the hardest.

Karl Laustrup
07-03-2007, 8:53 AM
Glad you reminded us Jim.

My memory has been jogged and I remember your posts and blog pertaining to the visit. And then, what seemed like an eternity until you were on your way to Russia and then back with the "girls" in Bucks County.

Time is going by quickly now it seems. The girls are looking happy and healthy. And I know you and Dr. SWMBO's lives are enriched.

Best of wishes.

Karl

Matt Meiser
07-03-2007, 9:21 AM
Wow, time has sure flown. I was just thinking the other day reading the weekend thread--what happended to movie night Jim :D. Thing sure have changed in the Becker house!

Pat Germain
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Jim,

Have your daughters adapted well to life in Pennsylvania? I would also be interested to know if they attend public school and, if so, how that is working out.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Have your daughters adapted well to life in Pennsylvania? I would also be interested to know if they attend public school and, if so, how that is working out.

Pat, they are doing very well. Both started public school about 5 weeks after our adoption was complete. The younger just placed out of ESL/ELL and will be attending our local elementary school in the fall for 3rd grade. The older still has a bit of catch-up work to do as she goes into 6th grade and will continue at her present school where the ESL support is concentrated.

Our BLOG at http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com documents nearly everything since the very beginning in late 2004.

Wow, time has sure flown. I was just thinking the other day reading the weekend thread--what happended to movie night Jim. Thing sure have changed in the Becker house!

Matt, we still have "family movie" from time to time, but it's with less frequency. The last one was a few weeks ago when we first watched a great Bollywood flick called Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (Straight From The Heart)...both girls are totally enamored with the Bollywood music and dancing. In fact, here's a couple dances from Nastia which she choreographed mentally and with only one practice: (Sound up...and have time...they are both 6 1/2 minutes long)

Dholi Taro Dance (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/?action=view&current=Dholi-Taro-dance.flv)

Nimbooda-dance (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/?action=view&current=Nimbooda-dance.flv)

When we visited friends in NYC this past Saturday (who are originally from India), they indicated that she is doing some very difficult traditional moves naturally and without training. That was really interesting to hear...

Next "Family Movie" is the "2nd" Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back.

Dennis Peacock
07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
"their current 11-going-on-12 and 7-goin-on-8".....

Are you SURE they're that young!?? :p :D

I've had the extreme pleasure of sitting and talking with these girls on my 1st visit with The Beckers. They are 2 wonderful and beautiful girls with hearts that highly reflect the love and happiness that Jim and Dr. Professor SWMBO ;) .....have shown to those girls. Congrats to the entire Becker Family. I look forward to visiting with them again one day.

Bryan Somers
07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Congrats on your annivesery of meeting those 2 girls. It warms my heart when you post about them. I know its been alot of hard work and that there are plenty of challanges ahead of you. Just continue to let them know they are loved no matter what. Your rewards will be great.

TYLER WOOD
07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Jim,
Congrats to you, Dr. SWMBO and the kids. I know how much kids fulfill your life. I can only wish that the two years you have had together have are the worst of the years you will have from now on. May they only get better from here on out. Sounds horrible but think about it. If they have been wonderful, and they are the worst???? HUH!!!!! I love to see pics of family!

jeremy levine
07-03-2007, 1:35 PM
Well I went and read a ton of your blog. You and your wife are good, brave and patient people. Congrats.

John Schreiber
07-03-2007, 1:41 PM
Congratulations to you and yours. Children are the best no matter what.

Jim O'Dell
07-03-2007, 1:44 PM
It is hard to believe that was 2 years ago! Like the others, I send my congrats. I know from a close friend that overseas adoptions can be very trying, but also very rewarding. There are additional challenges you face, but the final outcome is they are your kids, and you love them unconditionally. Jim.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2007, 5:32 PM
Happy Anniversary! Great looking family there Jim!

Bruce Page
07-03-2007, 6:10 PM
How time flies!
Congrats to all!

Nancy Laird
07-03-2007, 6:28 PM
Jim, you and your wife are to be commended for what you have done--and will continue to do--with and for the girls. To me, there is no greater love and selflessness than adopting children, especially those "older" and "hard-to-place" children. Seems that everyone wants a "baby", a newborn that they can mold in the image they have imagined. It's a lot harder when the child(ren) are older and sort of set in their ways, and even harder still when the children are not from this country or culture. I've read your blog, and I so admire what you and your wife have done. As far as I'm concerned, you two--along with the countless others who have created their families in the same fashion--deserve Congressional Medals for your own sacrifices and loving and giving.

I bow to you and Dr. SWMBO, and hugs to your girls.

Nancy

Pat Germain
07-03-2007, 8:22 PM
Pat, they are doing very well. Both started public school about 5 weeks after our adoption was complete. The younger just placed out of ESL/ELL and will be attending our local elementary school in the fall for 3rd grade. The older still has a bit of catch-up work to do as she goes into 6th grade and will continue at her present school where the ESL support is concentrated.

Great news, Jim. Adoption is such a beautiful thing. :)

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 9:27 PM
Seems that everyone wants a "baby", a newborn that they can mold in the image they have imagined.

Some get lucky and can do that, but what most folks don't realize is that even infants have suffered trauma when they have been institutionalized even for a short period of time. In fact, more and more folks are discovering that what they thought was attachment issues (a big buzz word in the adoption world) is closer to or in fact, PTSD. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) If you read our BLOG, you'll learn that is what we deal with on "the older"...I have profound compassion, not just for folks who adopt children who suffered, but also those families that are dealing with PTSD in our armed forces as they return from battle.

I can only wish that the two years you have had together have are the worst of the years you will have from now on.

I like how you think, Tyler...but of course, we now have to get through puberty and the teen years...:o

Jim Dunn
07-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Kudo's on the anniversary Jim and Dr. SWMBO. Girls are growing up real nice!

Chris Padilla
07-05-2007, 5:18 PM
Cool beans, Jim...you obviously proud papa! :D