PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Aligning My Planer Tables

Lance Norris
07-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a brand new Grizzly 1021X planer and cant get the tables aligned. The tables have a 3 hex bolts and 3 set screws. The set screw is below the hex bolt. The owners manual states to run the hex bolts in, but not tight, and then raise or lower the outside ends of the tables with the set screws. Then tighten the hex bolts.
With the hex bolts loose, the extension tables will drop flush with the main table. When I get to the point of tightening the hex bolts, the edge of the extention table where it meets the main table, rises up above the main table about 1/32nd of an inch. I can't get the extension table to be flush with the main table. Am I missing something here? I have cleaned the edges of the tables(main and extension)of all paint and cleaned the bolt holes of flash and paint.
I have a duplicate post over at woodnet and the posters seem to say that the hex bolts dont need to be tight. Is this what I need to do?

Jerry White
07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Lance,

I have the Grizzly 1021X in my shop. I don't remember having any undue problems with the tables. I believe I just lightly snugged the hex bolts up, made fine adjustments to fit the extension tables flush to the planer (by tapping with a rubber hammer :D), then leveled with the set screws before finally tightening the hex bolts.

Congratulations on your new planer. I know you will love it!

Jerry

Randy Denby
07-03-2007, 8:31 AM
Lance, I had the same problem with my Jet 15". Seems like I asked the same question here a few years ago too. Anyways, I finally got the tables "close" but not perfect.....it was just too many variables with the round roller tubes. I set them a little low near the bed and concentrated on the end rollers. Which this has worked good. When a board enters the planer, the infeed pressure bar will force it down hard against the bed and will overcome any slack. I always catch the board on the way out.....just dont get you hands between the board and the rollers....would probably make for an emergency room visit.

Lance Norris
07-03-2007, 3:19 PM
Well... after a call to customer service, they solved my problem. Its just like aligning the extension tables on a table saw. You have to BEAT them into place. I was using an oak bench mallet to align the tables and as soon as I told the customer service guy that, he stopped me and told me to get my dead blow mallet and really give them a good whack. Apparantly, I didnt want to hit the tables very hard, because after several HARD hits with the dead blow, all is well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-03-2007, 8:22 PM
Screws will move back and forth in the threads up to 10 or more thousandths (0.010").

Jam nuts will move 'em the same amount - or more.

This means that you gotta start with things somewhat tight to begin and hope to god you don't end up moving 'em all another 0.005 when you finally snug things down.

Really it's a question of getting to know your equipment. Each and every screw and bolt and jam nut will be a tad different.

Start with things somewhat tight and progress through various degrees of tightness in maybe oh gee say three stages.

Then check it again when you snug it all down the last time.

This is the sort of thing that old iron gibs and ways eliminated and our pocket books brought back.

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2007, 8:24 PM
"You have to BEAT them into place."

Ahh, yes, the old "If you can't fix it with a bigger hammer, it ain't worth fixin" bit....