PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw advice needed

Don C Peterson
07-02-2007, 9:27 PM
Hey,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Powermatic 141 14" bandsaw for $450. It's in good running condition and has a couple of extra blades. The only shortcoming I can see to the 141 is the lack of resaw capacity.

Compared to something like the Rikon Deluxe 14" saw the PM lacks some frills and capacity, but it strikes me as a super solid piece of machinery, and of course the Rikon will set me back an additional $300...

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Don Bullock
07-02-2007, 9:36 PM
It all depends on what you plan to do with it now ans in the future. If the lack of resaw capacity is going to keep you from doing what you want to do with the band saw, then it's not such a good deal. If that really isn't a problem for you, then go for it, if that's a good price for that model.

Wilbur Pan
07-03-2007, 1:18 PM
The only limitation to the Powermatic you are eyeing is the height capacity. Barring issues with the bearings, and assuming that the wheels are true, it will be a much more robust machine than the Rikon.

Consider this: have you needed to resaw more than 6 inches before now? If not (which is probably true, otherwise you would already have a bandsaw with more than 6" resaw capacity), then you haven't been limited by 6" of resaw capacity up to now.

I know that a good piece of advice is to buy tools once, but I also think that a big exception to this rule is when you are looking at good vintage woodworking machinery, as they can be resold, if necessary, for close to the same price that you bought it for.

If it were me, I would buy the Powermatic, and get a bandsaw with greater resaw capacity when I actually needed it. Then sell the Powermatic -- you'll probably get what you paid for it, which is a huge benefit of buying old machinery. Or keep it, because old iron is cool.

Don C Peterson
07-03-2007, 4:42 PM
I checked out the PM today and decided to pass on it. As much as I liked the saw, I think I'd pretty soon feel "cramped" by the 6" vertical capacity. If I had enough space to have both, I think I would have found a way to afford both the PM and a saw with larger capacity.

Tom MacGregor
07-03-2007, 5:45 PM
I'd check around to see if it was possible to get a riser block for the powermatic before passing on it.

Alan Turner
07-03-2007, 7:29 PM
I'd check around to see if it was possible to get a riser block for the powermatic before passing on it.

Tom,
Not possible. The PM 141 has a solid casting so none could be added.

Don,
The PM 141 is the very best scroller I have used. I have one (green, prob. late 70's), and just moved it to the teaching studio, where it is the third BS. I would not be without it. It is tight, and completely no nonsense. $450 is an excellent price.

Rob Leslie
07-03-2007, 7:37 PM
I recently purchased a Rikon 14" Deluxe and have already tested the height limitation. I had a 12" long and 8" dia. mesquite log that was flat on one end from a chainsaw cut. After replacing the original blade with a Timberwolf 3/8" ASA blade and readjusting the upper and lower bearing guides and blade tension, I stood the log on end and gently pushed it through the blade (on the low speed setting). It cut straight and easy.

I'll primarily use it for cutting turning blanks and I'm glad I have the extra height built in.

I have nothing against PM, in fact I have their 3520B lathe and am very happy with it.

Alex Shanku
07-03-2007, 7:39 PM
Listen to Alan,

I bought Alan's other PM141 and think it is a great saw. Heavy, solid and cuts very true.

Bruce Page
07-03-2007, 7:53 PM
The PM 141 has always had a good rep. If the limited resaw isn’t a show stopper for you then $450 is a very good price.

Don C Peterson
07-03-2007, 10:16 PM
In checking out the saw I was able to do a couple of cuts and I agree that the 141 is about bullet proof. It was quiet, stable, and vibration free. I love old tools for the quality that they exude.

I have lived without a bandsaw to far, but my next project calls for some resawing, so as much as I hated to pass on the 141, I didnt have much choice.

I even toyed with the idea of having a machine shop modify it so it would accept a riser, but figured that I'd most likely just wind up making scrap metal and that the saw should go to someone who would be really happy with it. Like I said, if I had the room, I would have figured out a way to afford both.

The gentleman selling the saw said that he had recieved at least 50 calls or emails about it, so I'm sure I just made someone's day.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Creekers are the best!

Pete Bradley
07-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Resaw capacity always ranks near the top of factors listed on web forums, but I'd put it much lower in terms of what you'll actually care about. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I have a 20" industrial machine (old school). Sure I do tall resaws from time to time, but by far the most important features that I use are:
1. high quality, sturdy, accurate running
2. good knobs and adjustments
3. large table (ok, that's an argument for a bigger machine)

If you don't have a band saw now, I'd say go with the PM over the Rikon any day. You'll get practically all your money back out of the PM if you decide later to trade up for a larger high-quality machine.

Pete

Joe Jensen
07-04-2007, 6:02 PM
Hey,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Powermatic 141 14" bandsaw for $450. It's in good running condition and has a couple of extra blades. The only shortcoming I can see to the 141 is the lack of resaw capacity.

Compared to something like the Rikon Deluxe 14" saw the PM lacks some frills and capacity, but it strikes me as a super solid piece of machinery, and of course the Rikon will set me back an additional $300...

Any thoughts/recommendations?

I've had a PM 141 14" bandsaw for 19 years. It is a very nice machine. I bought a newer Laguna HD16 and I still prefer the PM for everything but resawing. I went 18 years without a Bandsaw that had a cut higher than 6". It all depends on what you are doing. If you are going to cut curves and such, the PM141 is great. If you are going to resaw 12" stock or cut blanks for turning, it's not. Having said that, I find it hard to believe that $300 bandsaws are stiff enought to do a great job on 12" thick cuts. I can't saw with certainty as I've never owned one, but when I bought mine, the salesman showed me how still the PM 141 was compared to the Delta that could take a riser block. I think the PM weighted like 2X the Delta when comparing each without the base. He convinced me to spend nearly 2X for a used PM versus the Delta. That was in 1989...joe