PDA

View Full Version : Never seem to have enough time.

Randy Privett
07-02-2007, 5:30 PM
Seems like I never have the time to turn that much anymore and this is sad. I just seem to be too busy trying to get everyone else turning and I don't take the time to do it myself. This past weekend, I took the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Been developing a different line of tools, so thought I would play a little. This HF is made from Silver Maple, 5 1/2" tall, 4" wide, finished to 3/16" walls with a 1/2" bottom. Watco, buffed and waxed. Not the best figured wood, but it was fun.

Let me know what you think, good or bad.

Randy

Benjamin Dahl
07-02-2007, 5:34 PM
Randy, that is really nice. Great finish to go with that wood.
Ben

Mike Vickery
07-02-2007, 6:42 PM
Glad to see you are getting some lathe time. The piece looks very nice.

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 8:11 PM
Fantastic. I love the grain; the figure is great!

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 9:02 PM
Seems like I never have the time...

Welcome to my world....
-----

I like this piece in general. I think that the form could be improved by having a smaller base...it feels a little "heavy". Not bad. Just with more "weight" than ideal for the form.

Exercise for anyone: Take some hunks of scrap wood and just do variations on this form...paint them flat black and set them up in a line on a shelf so you can look at them together and figure out what you like the best. They don't have to be large and you don't have to have a perfect finish on them. Just cheap flat black spray paint. Repeat with variations on the one or two that look best in the first round...and then chose the best to duplicate with the "good stuff".

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2007, 9:13 PM
Very nice HF Randy! Great looking wood and finish!

Gary Garmar
07-02-2007, 9:39 PM
Jim's right; a little heavy. Beautiful grain and color.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2007, 11:33 PM
The piece is a beauty Randy. Nice to see you spinning.

Randy Privett
07-03-2007, 7:11 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. I know that it's a little heavy on the bottom, I wasn't intending on doing much with this piece, just messing around with a new tool and all of a sudden the interior of it got too thin to taper the base down. I find myself, like many others, trying to use the most of the piece of wood; therefore, sometimes the form doesn't come out as I would like it. I just need to get back to turning more again.

Randy

Mark Pruitt
07-03-2007, 9:42 AM
Seems like I never have the time to turn that much anymore and this is sad. I just seem to be too busy trying to get everyone else turning and I don't take the time to do it myself.
Hmmm, Randy........This sounds a little bit like Jerry Glaser's journey. And look at how he contributed to the development of the tools that johnny-come-latelys like me tend to take for granted. You may not be spending an awful lot of time turning wood but you sure are turning out some fine equipment!

BTW I like that HF....a lot. Keep it up!

Keith Burns
07-03-2007, 7:43 PM
Randy, nice to see some of your work !! I agree about the bottom being a little heavy but what the heck, you had some fun I bet. Now whats this new tool ???

Randy Privett
07-04-2007, 8:20 AM
Well it's not a new design, just a new line for me to offer. Like I said, it was fun.

Randy