PDA

View Full Version : Another table lamp of black palm and holly

John Huber
07-02-2007, 2:12 PM
A few weeks ago I posted a table lamp of black palm and holly. Here is the second one. The major change is that the holly is thinner. Finish is Watco Wipe-On Poly for less darkening of the woods.

These are my third and fourth turning projects; I'm a novice. So I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-02-2007, 2:42 PM
Novice huh? Yeah, right. Beautiful pieces, these and the previous post of yours. Sally forth into the vortex of segmentation and turning. I may catch up with you in a couple years, maybe. Max

James Stokes
07-02-2007, 3:39 PM
You did a great job, but for me I would like for the segments to line up.
I am an old tile setter and it bothers me when lines do not match.

John Huber
07-02-2007, 6:50 PM
James, thanks for your response. As a tile setter, maybe you can help me with my dilemma. The bottom part is 14 segments, the middle part is 10 segments, the top part is 6 segments. If I make all the seams line up, either the top segments are very narrow or the bottom segments are very large. What to do?

James Stokes
07-02-2007, 7:27 PM
Using differant amounts of segments it will not line up. But you can balance it in a couple ways. 1. If you just drop 1 segment each time you can have an even offset each time or 2. Use divisable offsets, For instance use 21 segments first ring 14 second ring 7 last ring.
Please do not missunderstand me I think they look great. I just think I would like it better if it balanced better.

Christopher Pine
07-02-2007, 7:58 PM
Looks great! Reminds me of "I dream of Jeannie" :)

Chris

Paul Heely
07-02-2007, 8:33 PM
Very nice looking. If these are your 3rd and 4th turnings I can't wait to see your 100th turning.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
John look great to me. I like the way the segments break up the pattern.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm with Bernie.....I like the way the segments staggered break it up and make it less boring. Nicley done John!

joe greiner
07-03-2007, 6:26 AM
Very nice forms, good choice of materials, and well executed. I somewhat like the lower part of the one on the right better, and prefer the neck of the one on the left - has a better flow to the shape. The one on the right seems to have a very slight flat spot about midway up on the neck. This can be a bear to get right, so practicing just this cut on firewood can be beneficial.

The alignment of the holly inserts does throw me, though. I'd prefer no alignment, i.e. all offset. One arrangement that comes to mind would be 16+8+4, with subtended angles of 22.5, 45, & 90 degrees; and offsets of 11.25 & 22.5 degrees. Another possibility would be 24+12+6. For both of these, each higher layer would be 1/2 the number of segments of the lower layer, and the offset would be 1/4 of the angle of the lower set. The larger number of segments would benefit from even thinner inserts, lest the pattern become overwhelming.

This looks like a motif with lots of possibilities. In lieu of carving up a lot of wood for experimentation, I suggest making some cardboard disks of varying diameters and marking the segments on them (i.e. plan views of each layer); stack them and attach to each other with a push pin through to a stout backup cardboard. Rotate the separate disks like you would a circular slide rule to see what kinds of interesting patterns and offsets work best.

Joe

John Huber
07-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks, Joe Greiner, for the mock-up advice. I'll certainly use that on the next one.