PDA

View Full Version : Axminister Chuck?

Kim Ford
07-02-2007, 1:59 PM
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Axminister Precision Chuck. Currently I have a Bergman three jaw engineering chuck and although it is a very good unit it is not versitile enough for what I need. I really like what I have heard abouth the Stronghold except it's accuracy for re-chucks. I just read an article about the Axminister and looked at them on the Craft Supplies web site.

I also saw the Vicmarc chuck?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kim

TYLER WOOD
07-02-2007, 2:18 PM
No help here, just along for the ride and info!:rolleyes:

Paul Engle
07-02-2007, 4:27 PM
Most re-chucks are gonna be off somewhat, I have found even in the best machine chucks that they will never reset to zero. my G3 and SN2 work pretty good but i always get a litte runout when rechucking. the wood tends to move no matter what unless you leave it in the chuck.Good luck :D

Montgomery Scott
07-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Russ Fairfield has an article on chucks on WoodCentral. He said "For precision machining with greater accuracy and repeatability, there is nothing better than the Axminster Precision chuck and its jaws. This quality is reflected in their higher price. This is definitely a top-of-the-line chuck. The Precision has an enclosed construction that includes the pinion gear that turns the scroll, and the chuck wrench is inserted into a square hole in the gear."

I have the Axminster 4" (not the Precision) chuck and the Vicmarc 5.5" chuck. Both are very nice and I would recommend either one of them.

Chas Jones
07-02-2007, 4:42 PM
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Axminister Precision Chuck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kim

I have the Axminster Precision Chuck and several of the accessory jaws.

The chuck itself is very well made and the tolerances of the accessory jaw location are good, so good when new that they are a little fiddly for a newcomer to align correctly. Once the 'knack' is gained they are fine.

The jaw travel is not the biggest around when fitted with the standard jaws and can lead to a little frustration if you are used to a chuck with more travel *, the obtaining and use of the 80mm diameter accessory jaws which are compatible improves the options considerably.

My back plate adaptor did not come with any sort of locking device to enable safe reverse turning but there was plenty of room to drill and tap for a 5mm cap screw to locate in the lathe spindle. (not a problem anyway if your motor is not reversable)

*The limited Jaw travel can lead to some frustration when using the Cole Jaws because there is no overlap of available diameters between hole locations using the supplied buttons. Sometimes this means that a percentage of buttons have to be fitted when the bowl is part located to avoid the carriers leaving the scroll.
This is overcome in use after a while when the inevitable 'special' buttons have to be made and the kit expands to meet the options.

Kim Ford
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone; that is good information to know. I'll start shopping around.

Kim

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Kim I have the big and small Vicmarc. Both are extremely accurate so far on rechucks. Haven't used the other so can't comment.

Bob Hallowell
07-03-2007, 8:10 AM
Kim,
I have the PSI chuck and it works great came with all the jaws for $160. It is not a big name or anyanthing but it works.

Bob