PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade use

Mike Jones NM
07-02-2007, 1:34 PM
Have several bandsaw blades that are broken (these are from a saw mill and are 1 1/4 " wide) don't really want to just toss them out but can't come up with an idea on what to use them for.
They are not thick enough to make a good knife blade.
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Don Orr
07-02-2007, 1:39 PM
I have some pieces of the same kind of blade and want to cut them up and make marking knives with a nice turned handle. Saw a tutorial some where about it. Not sure if they are thick enough though.

Jason Beam
07-02-2007, 2:13 PM
they're a little narrow to make great cart scrapers (a la stu). Marking knives are a great idea, they don't have to be very thick for that. In fact, a nice skinny one would be very useful to the handcut dovetail community, i'll bet.

Dunno if they're thick enough to make good spokeshave blades, but that's another idea. They'd make excellent chatter tool cutters if they're nice and thin.

You might be able to build a bowsaw around them if they're sharp enough (or could be sharpened).

Very narrow parting tool?

Feather boards? (if they're springy enough)

A sawblade windchime? :P

Table saw splitters (prolly too thin).

glenn bradley
07-02-2007, 2:15 PM
When making stopped flutes you can end up with some burn at the end of the cut. Thin steel like that can be ground to profile for use as a small scraper. Find some friends with saws that take smaller blades than yours and let them have them re-welded to fit their saws(?).

Justin James
07-02-2007, 4:12 PM
Working a bandmill, I've managed to save bunches of these because it just seems there should be a use . . . I've tried lots of stuff but never found a use worth repeating.

It makes OK blades for bowsaws/bucksaws, once you file off the teeth and cut new ones appropriate for your use. Sometimes you find though, the reason the blade broke is that there are lots of stress fractures; the break was at the first one to let go. I usually find the others after I tension the new bowsaw blade.

Wound into a tight coil, and wired so it won't come uncoilled, they sit nice on the scrap iron pile, and that's the best use I've ever found for them!

Jim Nardi
07-02-2007, 4:45 PM
You can always chop them up and sell them in pieces. A few sections of heavy duty HSS saw blades to make marking tools out of is always handy.

Steve Clardy
07-02-2007, 5:11 PM
Knife makers, the ones that forge the blades, appreciate them.

I used to give all my old circular and bandmill blades to a guy in town that made custom knives.

Ted Calver
07-02-2007, 6:28 PM
Didn't I read somewhere abou bolting short sections together in alternating directions to make a coarse rasp?