PDA

View Full Version : 2 HP Jet vs 2 HP Powermatic

Robert McGowen
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the 2 HP motors on the Jet 1642EVS-2 and the Powermatic 3520b? I will most likely never use the full capacity of the 3520b, but would still look at it if there was a big difference in the motors. Just trying to justify the $1000 plus dollars. Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2007, 1:58 PM
Robert, I have the 2 hp Jet and love it. I've never seen the Powermatic but am sure it would be a great lathe also. For me - I couldn't justify the extra cash and really had no idea if I would ever be able to use the full 20" swing but still wanted the 2 hp power. I know there are a number of people here that have the 3520B - so I wrote all the info off the motor on my lathe in the hopes someone out there would do the same off their Powermatic. I always figured 2 hp was 2 hp - but would be nice to know if there are any differences.

Output: 2 hp, Kw: 1.5, Hz: 60, Pole: 4, Volt: 230
Heat: 60*C, Amp: 6.1, Class: E, RPM: 1720, Phase: 3
Made in Taiwan

Hope this helps.

Robert McGowen
07-02-2007, 2:11 PM
Steve,

Yes, that is what I am looking for. You would think that 2 HP is 2 HP, but I guess you could say all SKEWS were the same also!;) I did not know if there is a difference in torque or speed or if it might even be the same motor.

Robert

Harvey M. Taylor
07-02-2007, 3:21 PM
Robert, here are the specs on my powermatic 3520b---amps-6.2
hz 60
3 ph.
2 stage belt
low-50---1200
high--125--3200
Variable speed will go down to 0 in both settings.
I am reasonably sure the 1000 dollar difference is in bearings, machining, thickness, maybe.They wouldnt just arbitrarily add that much difference just for the heck of it. A man in our locality consistently turns wood on his weighing 450 pounds. Could easily go heavier.
Hopefully helpful, Max

Paul Engle
07-02-2007, 4:24 PM
robert , the 3 phase is so a vector control can run the motor even tho you are on single phase ( say 220v).any time you can get it cheaper go for it as 2hp 3 phase vector controled motors are close to 1000$. google in vector control and take a look at the stuff out there, the AC is preferable as the torque is matained on the lower rpm's.with DC motors when the rpm goes down so does the torque so the better ones use a 3 hp dc as it will provide better torque at lower rpm's.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-02-2007, 5:10 PM
Thanks, Paul, I didnt know that.I surmised it was the bearings etc that made the difference. What does a pore ol' sandyland cotton farmers son know? Max

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2007, 5:51 PM
Well...there has got to be more difference than just the motor.

Jet 1642-2 is 420 pounds
PM 3520B is 650 pounds

Could be in metal castings and bearings.....but in my weak minded understanding, 2HP VS is 2HP VS. ;)

John Shuk
07-02-2007, 7:25 PM
By all accounts both are wonderful lathes. If you need the extra swing the Jet has a sliding headstock. If you don't plan on needing the extra swing then that shouldn't be an issue. I've seen beautiful work come off of both lathes so I doubt you can make a BAD choice here.

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 8:58 PM
If there were no other differences, the extra mass of the 3520B is a great reason to consider it over it's slightly smaller Jet sibling. They are both great lathes and yes, it is unlikely you'll notice much difference in the motor power. There may be differences in the VFDs that drive the 3-phase motors...I don't know. Can it go down to nearly zero? How equivalent is the indexing. How much heavier is the spindle assembly and bearings? For the majority of turnings, most of this will not matter. But if you plan on doing larger work over time, or plan on coring, or plan on working with off-center or out-of-balance projects, the heavier machine is definitely a plus.

My Stubby 750 is also 2hp. Many OneWay 2436 machines sold have 2hp motors. Same for a bunch of other high-end machines. No real advantage there. But...Stubbalina weighs in at close to 800 lbs without ballast and it will take a really big, out-of round hunk of wood to even make it think about walking around the shop. Thats where over time the PM shines over the Jet.

But yes, it does come down to a grand between mustard and mayo-light...

Tom Ricochet
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Robert,

I have just ordered a JET 1642-2EVS. My local dealer of WMH products stocks both the JET and the 3520B. Comparing the two, no doubt, the castings are more massive on the Powermatic, particularly the headstock and tailstock, and I am lead to believe that the spindle and bearings are beefier on the PM. Having said that, power should be the same, and you can always ballast-up the JET if you have issues with movement. I think that for all "normal" size turning one will be very happy with the JET, as Steve has said. If you want to do really big/odd shaped blanks frequently, or a lot of production turning, you might justify the extra cost of the PM. For me, turning is an avocation, and I think I will be very happy with the 1642.

Reed Gray
07-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Actually, the minimum speeds don't go down to zero. On the P3520 B model, it slows down to about 50 rpm before shutting off. On my old A model, I can get down to 20 or less rpm. As far as the Jet vs PM, I think part of the difference is in the beefier headstock, and probably bearings. I was seriously drooling over the Robust lathe in Portland. I never turn anything that big (25 inches), but who knows?
robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Reed....I drooled over Chris Hartley's American Beauty Robust! Lucky for me Houston is a high humidity area and I can blame it on the weather.

Dennis Peacock
07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Reed....I drooled over Chris Hartley's American Beauty Robust! Lucky for me Houston is a high humidity area and I can blame it on the weather.

Yup...I guess for you "northern" folks...all this humidty would make your head "spin".....and could subject you to funny thoughts about buying a new lathe. :rolleyes: :p :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM
ROFLOL Dennis you got that right. I just hope with all his drooling he didn't cause any rust on Beauty.:eek: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Bill Boehme
07-03-2007, 6:48 PM
ROFLOL Dennis you got that right. I just hope with all his drooling he didn't cause any rust on Beauty.:eek: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Don't worry, Brent English anticipated the drooling problem and builds the lathes using stainless steel.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2007, 6:54 PM
Don't worry, Brent English anticipated the drooling problem and builds the lathes using stainless steel.

Bill

No wonder Chris didn't react to my drool!:eek: :rolleyes: :D