PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow!! It's July already. 2 July 2007 to be exact.

This weekend was filled with work at the day job as well as music. For Sunday, it was practice music for church Sunday as well as practice the newly written song that I was asked to play bass on in a recording studio after church on Sunday. It was pretty cool recording music again, but after all it's been about 30 years since I've done any recording studio work. It was pretty cool as IMHO, recording studio's have shrunk in size as you don't need all that equipment with vacuum tubes in them any longer...it's all digital.

The rest of the weekend was doing family time and finally crashing to get some much needed rest.

Gloat.......I am now a proud owner of a vacuum press. I ordered all the parts and the bag from Veneer Supplies dot com. Joe is a great guy with great service, and excellent products. This is my first time doing business with Veneer Supplies and I'm now an extremely satisfied customer. Today I get to try it all out since I have it all assembled and ready for a test run.

So...what did YOU do this weekend? Of course some of you are still on your weekend, but we'll see what everyone did for their Independence Day Holiday or (for your Canadians) Canada Day Holiday.

BTW, Happy Independence Day and Happy Canada Day!!!!!!

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Congrats on your new veneer setup, Dennis...my stuff is still in the box from Joe, but will soon get put together and ready for some cabinet doors.

Saturday was a family jaunt to NYC to look around and spend some time with good friends. We originally were also going to do the Statue of Liberty, but ran out of time...we'll do that on a future, dedicated trip.

Sunday, a run to the 'borg for materials to build the steps to the new door on the upper level of my shop building and getting started on that project was the extend of my activities...a late start from being dead tired from Saturday's fun was responsible for that. But I needed to get the materials yesterday while I could pull the trailer...my Highlander needs to go back into the shop today for some "adjustments" and little things they missed when they repaired the $25K worth of damage after the accident in May. :rolleyes: I will have plenty of time this week to get the project done, however. Once I have these steps in place, it will mean 1) I can get cabinetry projects for the addition stored outside of the shop as I complete them and 2) more easily transition my lumber storage upstairs, making for more room in the shop.

Grant Davis
07-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I spent Saturday cleaning and getting my garage rearranged. Finally hung and organized my clamps. No more cardboard boxes, buckets or drawers to keep them in.

Matt Meiser
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Got all the box parts for my cabinets (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59384) cut up, edge banded, shelf pin drilled, and sanded. Also got the bases assembled and a few coats of flat black paint on the front where it will hopefully be visible (hopefully invisible) behind a furniture type front. Now its time to start pre-finishing those parts once I decided how to finish (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60823).

Also did some cooking in the smoker. Pork Tenderloin on Saturday and turkey breast on Sunday. MMMMMMM!

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2007, 10:35 AM
It was good, it was bad, it may get expensive!

Had a friend come into town Sat to spend about 10 days with us. We haven't seen Ceil in about 4 or 5 years. Sunday a little time in the shop while the girls did their thing. Worked on the bench a little, and cleaned up all the cutoffs on the floor with it's share of saw dust. After the rain storm I found my wife hit a stump trying to mow, bent one of the 2 blades to the point it was scaping the lawn. Started the grill later for supper, found the handset drenched from the storm. pulled it apart and cleaned it out. After supper, LOML comes in and said I wouldn't be happy, but #3 was going on...big wet spot dripping. Fearing the roof, I got up in the attic and found the bottom of the coil pan rusted out, the safety catch basin under it was not level and leaking over, or in the corner. Got it to drain for the short term, now got to get the a/c guy out today to see what will have to be replaced. On the phone he was afraid that whe whole coil would have to change out. :(
Had 2 minor kickbacks on the TS during the day. I was doing a slightly risky cut both times, so was standing clearly out of the way and didn't get hit, but my right thumb is sore today.
Let's hope for a good July Fourth!!! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Friday....recovered from long trip home from Houston

Saturday.....turned some more couch legs and cleaned the yard and carport. Hosted a cookout for an early birthday party for our great granddaughter Riley who will be on July 16th. Great grandmother Sharon is departing this Friday to spend a month with my MIL and won't be here on the 16th...Thus the early celebration.

Yesterday....a small amount of work....and Riley arrived to spent the night with GGM and GGP......need I say more.....? She's got this 260 lb.er wrapped around that teeny finger of hers.

Mark Pruitt
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Another weekend filled with Mustard shavings!:cool: Roughed out & DNA'd a couple fair-sized cherry bowls, dry-turned a HF with some major spalting, and a couple small maple bowls which were kinda mundane looking so I put textured rings on 'em. Finishes curing, pics to come.

Have a few spinny toys--uh, I mean tools--arriving tomorrow. Doggone Vortex sucking the wallet dry!:eek:

I'm working on the 4th, but after this Friday I'll have 9 days off!!!:) :) :)

Nancy Laird
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Had to work on Friday (:mad: :mad: ) to get boss off on his FIVE-WEEK vacation!! Spent Friday night in the laser shop putting out five jobs, Saturday was a sort-of lazy day, and spent Sunday finishing off the laser jobs, getting stuff ready to pack for Vegas, and chilling. This time next week we'll be on the road to Vegas. Has some time to play with my new toy--a new laptop....gotta keep up with stuff while I'm in Vegas, don't I?

Nancy

Jim Becker
07-03-2007, 8:51 AM
Another weekend filled with Mustard shavings!

Umm...unless you're turning Osage Orange or Mulberry, I'd be REALLY concerned if mustard-colored shavings were coming off your lathe. :eek::p:D