PDA

View Full Version : Sorby RS2000 hollowing tool

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
OK, I think this is not a duplicate question.... As I posted before I want a hollowing tool to get started doing it by hand. It looks like the Sorby RS2000 system would be good, because it has a good armbrace for now and it looks like the "business end" will link up with a captured rig in the future.

Am I correct in my assumptions? Does anyone love or hate the RS2000? TIA.

Bob Hallowell
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Patrick,
take a look at the hand held monster tools, they have lots of options for not much more than the sorby. Plus you could up grade it along the way.

Bob

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page4.php

Matt Haus
07-02-2007, 1:48 PM
Patrick, I agree with Bob. Look at the monster tool selection. I have been using one for a couple of weeks now and am impressed on how well things are hollowing now. (on don't have the handheld unit, I have the captive ring set.) I can get things at 1/4 to 1/16th of an inch and it is uniform throught the piece. Just my opinion. Good quality stuff too.

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 2:34 PM
The monster tools look pretty good...

If I'm comfortable with bowls but new to hollowing, should I get the system I, system II or the extreme? Is the extreme overkill, or are they tools that I'll wind up buying separately later anyways?
Can these same tools later be used with a monster captive system by just getting the "missing pieces" rather than buying a whole new set with scrapers, etc?
Is it important to have a swan neck, like the extreme and system II have, or is the swiveling head in the system I sufficient?Thanks,
Pat

Matt Haus
07-02-2007, 2:50 PM
Patrick,

It seems like to me that the System II has all you need and all the systems are upgradable to the captive system. Do you need a swan neck? Well, if you do deep hollow vessels that have a rim you need to get under and it comes in handy when you have a narrow opening.

If you are doing these free hand without the captive system, you will need the The Adjustable Side Torque Stabilizer Handle to prevent rotation.

The scraper is also a nice addition as it works well on the inside if vessels.

Dick Durbin
07-02-2007, 2:51 PM
Patrick,
take a look at the hand held monster tools, they have lots of options for not much more than the sorby. Plus you could up grade it along the way.

It looks like the bar on the Monster is fully round where the Sorby is flat on the bottom. Do you have any trouble keeping it from rolling over?

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I just ordered the Monster System II. :D I can't wait! Thanks for the tips guys!

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2007, 11:10 PM
My brother just got one Patrick. He loves his. So I don't think you will be disappointed.

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
My brother just got one Patrick. He loves his. So I don't think you will be disappointed.

Glad to hear. Do you know if he is still backlogged?

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2007, 10:08 AM
You might e-mail him or call him. He is pretty good answering you back. I think it took my brother two weeks to get his but that was about 3 or 4 months ago.

Patrick Taylor
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
You might e-mail him or call him. He is pretty good answering you back. I think it took my brother two weeks to get his but that was about 3 or 4 months ago.

I emailed Randy and he said it would ship next week. He gave a very prompt response. What great customer service!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2007, 11:35 AM
You won't find much better in my opinion. My laser went out and he sent one immediately.