PDA

View Full Version : New Project: Kitchen Cabinets in Philly

John Viercinski
07-02-2007, 9:59 AM
Hey all,

I'm new to the craft and to this discussion board as well. I'm planning on making some new kitchen cabinets for my current home and I'd like to get some feedback. I just finished reading Tolpin's book and I'm going to be starting this fall after I finish the walls, floors, plumbing, etc.

I plan on doing a flat, recessed panel door style similar to a Shaker without any of the coved edges. For starters, I love the look and it doesn't require the use of a router table. I also may go with the reverse raised panel doors, which are very similar. I can just use a dado blade and my table saw for both of these options.

I'm going to use a face frame style cabinet with Melamine cases, so I don't have to paint or refinish the interiors. Plus, I'm going to rent the place out when I'm done and I know they'll hold up. I'm not sure which wood to use for the frames, doors and drawer fronts. I was leaning towards poplar from a local borg, but I may just opt for a portable planer and get some rough cut maple or poplar from Amish country to reduce total cost. I suppose I could use red oak as well though.

I have a Fuji MM3 which I plan to spray a white Magnalac finish followed by a semi-gloss clear coat, so the look of the grain isn't all that important.

So, I guess my questions are...

1. Any recommendation for a door panel material/thickness... plywood? Mdf?? Where in the Philly area can I get it?

2. Is it better to make the drawers yourself or is it worth the cost to have them made for you? I don't currently own a dove-tail jig.

3. Any other suggestions??

Thanks! Looking forward to your responses!

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome to SMC, John!

For your doors, I recommend solid stock for your rails and stiles (same for your face frames). For your panel, 1/4" MDF is just great for painted panels, or you could use 1/2" MDF with a rebate to have a flush back and a little more "heft" to the doors. (I did the doors in my kitchen that way) MDF is about the only sheet goods I'll buy from the 'borg these days and they generally stock both 1/2" and 1/4"; sometimes the latter only in 2'x4' panels.

I generally use poplar, but soft maple is also a nice choice.

For drawers, I make my own for smaller projects, but for the kitchen I bought the drawer boxes knocked down from a supplier. I'm doing the same for the bath vanity projects I have in progress. It saves a lot of time. I went knock-down to save on shipping and cost. I do have the time to clamp them up...just not all the time for stock preparation, dovetailing, etc.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Glad to see another Philly Creeker on board. Welcome. Be sure to provide pictures when you get going on the cabinets.

Russell Plywood in Reading has been recommended by others. I have no first hand experience with them yet but I think I remember their delivery prices being very reasonable. I plan to place an order with them soon.

I'll let more knowledgeable folks answer your other questions.

Larry Fox
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
John, I agree with Rob - good to see another Philly Creeker. In addition to the book you mentioned, I would also recomend looking at Udo Scmidt's book.

I built a set last year and made the drawers. Having done that, I agree 100% with Mr. Becker's recmendation - buy them.

I bought my sheet-goods from Russell Plywood and was very pleased. There is one in DE and one in Reading. - I used the one in DE. I used the pre-finished maple ply for the reason you point out of not having to finish them.