PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 8:17 AM
We recently added a new member to our family... and she's already the heaviest one! (195 lbs) This is Libby, a 4 y.o. English Mastiff that is the sweetest most gentle dog I've ever met. She was a giveaway from a breeder after having one huge (17) litter. The kids just love her. :D Even our 2 italian greyhounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Greyhound) like her, and the three together is quite a spectacle. :eek:

jeremy levine
07-02-2007, 9:06 AM
Wow, that's a dog... Have fun

Robert Miller
07-02-2007, 9:26 AM
Very nice dog, I'm sure you will give her a loving home.

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 9:35 AM
"Woof"!!!!

Wow...quite a pooch. You're going to need a second job just to feed all three of those big dogs! (Or start selling hand-made furniture...) :D

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 9:51 AM
You're going to need a second job just to feed all three of those big dogs!

Keep in mind the italian greyhounds are only 13 lbs each. :D

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Congrats on Libby!!! Nice doggy......

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Keep in mind the italian greyhounds are only 13 lbs each.

So they are, like...toys....or....a snack....for the new dog??? :D :D :D

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
So they are, like...toys....or....a snack....for the new dog??? :D :D :D

Actually, Luca (the brown one shown below) is the smart one of the pair, and Libby hid behind me when he barked at her once. :rolleyes: So he runs the show, but they're all very friendly with each other. Soon enough, Libby will be a heated dog bed for the other two.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Does Libby have her own couch yet?;) Good looking dog. I'm glad she found a good home.

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Does Libby have her own couch yet?;) Good looking dog. I'm glad she found a good home.

Yeah, which ever couch she wants at the moment!!! Congrats on giving her a good home! Jim.

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 4:41 PM
Those two Italian jobbies are really cute, Patrick!

Doyle Alley
07-03-2007, 9:47 AM
That's not a dog. That's a mini horse that goes "woof". Wow.

James Kuhn
07-03-2007, 2:05 PM
...Soon enough, Libby will be a heated dog bed for the other two.

Very true. Italian Greyhounds are notorious heat vampires. They just can't help it.

Mark Pruitt
07-03-2007, 4:41 PM
I'd love to introduce that big gal to the five (yes I said FIVE) obnoxious little loud-mouthed rats (AKA Shih-Tzus & Yorkies) next door. Maybe she'd do me a favor and eat a couple of 'em.;)

Peter Stahl
07-03-2007, 5:31 PM
That's too much dog for me. I don't have enough ground for that horsy to run around. Like the greyhounds, very nice dogs.

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 5:40 PM
We recently added a new member to our family... and she's already the heaviest one! (195 lbs) This is Libby, a 4 y.o. English Mastiff that is the sweetest most gentle dog I've ever met. She was a giveaway from a breeder after having one huge (17) litter. The kids just love her. :D Even our 2 italian greyhounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Greyhound) like her, and the three together is quite a spectacle. :eek:
So what, the 'breeder' just didn't want her anymore after she had the puppies? What kind of breeder is that. Ugh...

Anyway, she is gorgeous. How has she been doing since you got her? Also, your little Iggy's are SO cute! We were so close to adopting an IG before we found our dog Acer (Australian Shepherd). Soon, when we finally move into our own home, we will most likely be adopting a rescued Italian Greyhound or two... (I've been talking with a group here in FL that gets in so many beautiful, sweet, but sadly unwanted IG's all the time - I'd much rather save one's life than give my money to a breeder).

Hope all has been well with your cute family! =)

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 5:50 PM
Very true. Italian Greyhounds are notorious heat vampires. They just can't help it.
Wow! James, are those your dogs? They are both absolutely gorgeous! Two of my top 5 favorite breeds right there. =)

And yes it is definitely true that IG's love to be warm. My boyfriend's parents have a really sweet little girl named Ivy. She's getting old, and even has a real GLASS eye now, but she can be quite the little ball of spunk at times. Here are some pics of her (click to enlarge):

Ivy in her silly pumpkin costume...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adidaDeuce/th_54.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adidaDeuce/54.jpg)

She didn't like the costume!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adidaDeuce/th_55.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adidaDeuce/55.jpg)

:p

Roy Harding
07-13-2007, 6:26 PM
Patrick:

I also have an English Mastiff - she's only seven months old and 80 pounds at the moment - she'll keep growing for another year or so.

She is the gentlest creature I've ever had the honour of meeting. We have four old (and cranky) cats in the house, Matilda has even won THEM over (she's their heat source when they want to curl up).

We just finished basic obedience training - she was (and remains) golden in this regard. Although I keep her leashed when in town, out here in the country where we live she's never leashed - she heels, sits, downs, stays, and comes without fail. We've also perimeter trained her - she won't leave the yard with being given the magic word.

I know that Matilda is a great joy for us, as I'm sure your new addition will be for you. These Mastiffs are HUGE, but most of that mass consists of a gentle and generous heart.

Ed Lang
07-13-2007, 6:45 PM
WOW big dog. Makes my little pom's look like a snack, and not much of one at that.

I love the IG's too. They are so neat.

All of our dogs are rescue dogs and I think they are the best. Even our pom's are rescue dogs. The last one we got, Dusty Bones was the wrong color so the breeder kept kicking him out of the way so the others could nurse. A neighbor saw this and called the rescue group. The rescue group knew we were looking for a little dog and had a pom already. They called us and brought Dusty over for a visit. That was several months ago and Dusty is very happy now.

Thank you to all who rescue dogs and of course thank you to those who have dogs and keep them safe and in good health.

Ed