PDA

View Full Version : Neander drill press?

Luke McFadden
07-01-2007, 11:28 PM
It's been a while since I've asked a question, so here it is! I'm young, as so I'm not that familiar with some of the older tools. But I'm looking for something like a hand drill, but that would help with perfectly vertical holes? I don't know if such a tool exists other than modern electrical drill presses.

Also, can anyone recommend a good book that might cover a large majority of the older tools. I'd like to learn more about them, and I'm looking for a good place to start. Maybe a History of Neander book?

Thanks!

L

John Goodridge
07-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Greetings:

I'm not sure about perfectly vertical, but this is a previous post that has a "beam borer" in it. Looks like it would fit the bill.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38901&highlight=beam

Sort of looks like you might sit on the base and crank the two handles.

John

Steve Hamlin
07-02-2007, 7:16 AM
Muscle powered cast iron pillar drills do turn up once in a while - I use one that I picked up off of eBay last year. These seem far more common in the US than the UK, but because of their weight (mine's a svelt 60lbs - just a baby) are commonly collection only (and I can't swim that far anyway)
A similar beast is the post drill - no base, but attaches to a barn post or similar.
Cheers
Steve

mike holden
07-02-2007, 8:36 AM
The Aldren Watson book on hand tools is quite good and under $20. Graham Blackburn has a couple as well.
You could also go to the WKfinetools site, there are a number of *.pdf files of 19th century woodworking books, also google books - keyword woodworking - for a number of *.pdf books. All these are free
Mike

Joe Denney
07-02-2007, 4:00 PM
Here is a picture of one actually for sale. Admins, if I am violation any TOS please let me know and I will remove:o

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/LOOT/feb%2012/Pict2642.jpg

Walt, the owner of the site, usually has lots of older hand tools for sale. I've bought from him and have nothing but good things to say.

Hope this gives you more information.

Joe

David Weaver
07-02-2007, 5:38 PM
I have bought from him twice - just in the last month, and in all cases, what I got was better than what I could get on ebay, and cheaper all things considered.

David Tiell
07-02-2007, 7:17 PM
Luke,
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I saw this on the Baltimore craigslist today.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/363832133.html

Dave

Roger Bell
07-02-2007, 9:44 PM
There are all manner of neander drill presses around. The "beam borers" are designed for heavy work and much larger holes drilled as a stock removal prelude to heavy mortising in timber framing. They are not especially accurate for furniture tolerances and are not suited for smaller, ordinary WW type work. The post drills are also not quite as well suited as others for average, smallish diameter (under one inch) holes.

Millers Falls and their predecessor Goodell Pratt built good machinist quality hand drill presses. MF bought out the GP line but continued offering GP drilling stuff thereafter.

The example Yankee model shown on the Brass City site is at least as good and probably better machine. (I have one). I also got this notification of another Yankee for sale this morning. These will give you an idea of price as well as another picture of what I am referring to. The Yankee is two speed and very finely geared. When Stanley bought out Yankee, they discontinued the "press" line because it was too expensive to manufacture. I saw a Yankee two weeks ago in the field for about $200. I share the belief that the Yankee is the best in this genre of machine. It is an incredible example of mechanical engineering in it's golden age. This link is for info purposes only.

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/jul07.htm

I agree that the Watson book will give you the best understanding of the nature and function of most WW handtools, with the Blackburn books right up there too. They dont get into makes and models of specific tools. These books have been around quite some time and are quite superior to the plethora of recent offerings by "magazine writers" and most of what is available on the Net.

Another reference which is more comprehensive would be The R.A. Salaman book which goes into considerable (more than you probably want) detail. You can also get repro/reprint tool manufacturer catalogs (Stanley, Millers Falls, Disston, Sargent, Swan, Pexto, etc., etc) from a number of places on the Net, including Martin Donnelly...who probably has the best single source selection. They are quite cheap and well worth having.

Matt Chantry
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Post drill are good, but slow. The other thing to consider is that the chucks often hold the bits by use of a set screw - i.e. they don't have jaws. That means you have to use special bits that have a flat shaft. They can be found on eBay from time to time.