PDA

View Full Version : About to jump in

steve fleischmann
07-01-2007, 9:50 PM
I'm about to get into turning, as this woodworking bug has bit my wife and I bigtime. I'm looking at the Jet 1642evs. Woodcraft currently has it for 10% off. What other accessories should I get to begin with. Chucks, chisels... Also I'll need a bench grinder. Which sharpeing system/jigs do you advise for a newbie. Any must have books, DVD's?

Thanks in Advance,
Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Steve...........Welcome to the edge of the Vortex! Once you step in there is no turning back.....I started turning 1 1/2 years ago and it's addictive and the closest thing to instant gratification I"ve found.

First...I'd recommend "Woodturning - A Foundation Couse" by Keith Rowley. It is a book that is directed at the beginning turner ...it's well written and illustrated.

2nd....DVDs/videos......Richard Raffan has a couple out "Turning Wood" and "Turning Boxes"...both are well done.

3rd.....Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy" Bill's a member here and if you go to his member profile there is a link to his website and you can order directly from him. I did and he's quite prompt about getting stuff out to youl. It's an excellent video.

Tools:

While at Woodcraft check out their low speed grinder....It usually can be bought for $80-100 depending if it's on sale.

Wolverine grinding jig system is hard to beat. This will allow you to quickly sharpen tools and allows for more time to learn to turn. Learning to hand sharpen and turn at the same time would be a real challenge. Turning with dull tools is the pits!

A lot of folks here have bought the HF HSS spindle set for about $40. Note I don't believe there is a bowl gouge in that set so you would have to buy that separately. Learn to grind/sharpen the low cost tools so when you decide to buy the better tools you'll waste less expensive steel.

A good face shield is a must. Spinning wood sometimes separates from it's mount and the face shield will minimize some of the danger and damage to your face. A good pair of safety glasses worn under the face shield wouldn't be bad either.

You'll need a wide supply of sand papers. I started by buying the box sets that have 1" wide rolls of 120, 240, 320 and 400 grit. They sell for around $18.

Some kind of dust mask would be a good thing to have to wear while sanding.

A 4-jaw chuck is handy. There a number of well made ones available in a wide cost range.

Finishes of various kinds....wax....friction polish.....dewaxed shellac.....Deft lacquer.......Minwax Antique Oil.......danish oil....

A buffing system of some kind will make you projects a lot prettier .....Beal buffing system is one brand and a lot of places have their "house" brand.....I bought a Beal system I can use on the lathe since I didn't want to make a separate buffing station yet.

a 1/8" parting tool is necessary ....I don't know if the HF set includes one..

I'm sure others will chime in with some more recommendations.

OH......take a photo of the money in your wallet...frame the photo and put it near your lathe so you can remember what it was like to have money....:D

Welcome to the Vortex!

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Welcome Steve to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Like Ken I have been turning 1 1/2 yrs. now. Ken has given you some great advice and most of what I would have given as a fairly new turner. Ken wasn't wrong when he said take a picture of the green stuff in your wallet. It goes fast if you fall in love with turning as Ken and I have. :eek:;):rolleyes::cool: The 1642 is a good lathe and you can't go wrong with it. If the wife is bit to you may have to get two 1642's.:eek::D Let us know how it goes. We like pictures. Lots of pictures.

Richard Madison
07-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Lots cheaper than a good bass boat. Unless you include the cost of the new shop building.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-02-2007, 9:13 AM
Lots cheaper than a good bass boat. Unless you include the cost of the new shop building.Hey I've got a great solution!:eek: Build a house boat and use the house for a shop. A good generator and a couple of poles with bells for those frisky cat fish will keep you doing both of your loves! Don't forget a cot for those moonlight fishing/turning trips.:D :p

Now Steve, W E L C O M E ! ! !:D I'd have to say that Ken and Bernie are right on the money! Oh, by the way take Ken seriously about the photo of your money. If you don't, you'll be whining and crying like so many others that have come before you have done. :eek: :D :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2007, 4:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek Steve! Looks like Ken pretty much summed everything up for you. Once you get your stuff - make sure you post often and with lots of photos! Have fun with it!

Nick Clayton
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I just started turning a couple months ago and have quickly learned some valuable lessons. First and foremost you will easily spend the same amount of money you paid for your lathe in turning accessories.

Ken gave you a great list. I would add that you buy the One-Way wheel balancing kit as well as their 8" wheels. Having purchased the woodcraft grinder he mentioned, the new wheels and balancers made all the difference.

Don't skimp on tools. I picked up the Pinnacle 5 piece set and quickly started to make additions from Sorby and P&N with homemade handles. The heavier material absorbs a lot of vibration and gives me more confidence. There are a lot of specialty manufacturers out there if you search them out that make what appear to be outstanding tools, but I cannot justify purchasing. This is a nice link to turning supplies that might give you some ideas http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/)

Personally, I found R. Raffan's videos too fast paced though I do like his book. Most importantly, I joined a local club and have the good fortune of having a nearby furniture builder that allows me to poke my head in and watch over his shoulder; luckily he does a bit of turning too. I cannot stress how much hands on teaching has helped me compared to reading and videos. Check this link to find a club near you http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

I would also suggest some steb center drives. You can spend a lot and purchase Sorby or some much less expensive ones from PSI on Amazon under the label Crown drive center which I found work well.

DON'T FORGET A FACE SHIELD!!!!!! Despite what you see in books and videos wear one. I was turning an egg cup that I got a catch when starting to hollow that cause the cup to fly off the stem and shoot across my shop. While it didn't hit me, if it got me in the face, safety glasses or not I would've been injured and I can't ruin the money maker ya know:p Seriously, I think having something explode on the lathe is like a motorcycle accident if you are a rider; it's inevitable so best be prepared.

I probably haven't helped much, but perhaps the links will:)