PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry Advice

Craig Hogarth
07-01-2007, 7:34 PM
I've decided to give it a shot and ordered some veneer. I'm going to start off with something basic, haven't decided what yet.

Anyone care to share some corel tips?

I've read posts previously on how to battle kerf, but I can't find them.

TIA

Dave Jones
07-01-2007, 8:30 PM
In Corel, the Interactive Contour tool lets you enlarge a part by a specified amount in all directions. So enlarging it by a few thousandths will make up for the kerf.

Somebody said the contour tool in versions before X3 add a lot of extra nodes.

Also, some people say they cut veneer upside down so the thinest part of the cut is at the top surface when flipped back over. You might not even need to use the contour tool if you do that. (or not expand by as much, at least)

Mitchell Andrus
07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Don't worry about the kerf. I've done over 200 pieces and have yet to give it a thought. Have a look at my site for inlaid (marquetry) pieces... Prepare to spend some time at this. Some of these designs have 12 files each to cut a different wood, with parts cut at different angles to point the grain properly.

Make a vacuum table with a fine mesh screen to hold onto the small parts as they're cut. They'll end up on the lawn otherwise.

Dennis Perry
07-02-2007, 1:28 AM
Hi Graig, before X3 Corel used streight lines w/many nodes to make a curve, I see you use X3 no problem there. I contour one step to the outside @ .003. You can fine tune this by cutting two circles 1" in diameter. Contour one to the outside and one to the inside by say .003" and see if the one to the outside fits tight to the one to inside, boy that was a mouth full. I see you have ULS set your image density to "6" this will give you a smoother cut.

Have fun, Dennis

Craig Hogarth
07-02-2007, 2:27 AM
I may be doing something wrong, but the only way I know how to contour is when two or more objects are selected.

Dennis Perry
07-02-2007, 1:36 PM
Graig any object can be contoured as long as it is closed. An easy way to check if it is, fill the object. If it does not fill you can join the nodes or use smart fill to create an other object.

Dennis