PDA

View Full Version : Workbench at Sams - you may want to check it out

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2007, 4:29 PM
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=329601

Sams is selling something called an Ultra Heavy Duty Workbench for $199 ($188 online looks like). 25 x 72 x 1.75" maple top with metal legs and stretchers. 38" height with levelers. Looks like you could put it together in 15 minutes.

I picked one up today. Considering the price of pre-made maple tops, it seemed like a fairly good deal (altho I'll be the top is soft maple).

I don't know that I'd call it ultra heavy duty - it weighs about 150 lbs.

The one in the store didn't seem to rack much at all.

I'm thinking I'll drill some holes through the legs and add a plywood shelf on top of angle steel for additional storage and help prevent any potential racking.

If it seems sturdy enough, I may add some dog holes and a vice for light hand planing.

If you're tall and are looking for a light duty bench/assembly table, take a look. We'll see how flat the top is.

I'll post some pics once I put the thing together. For now, the pool beckons.

scott spencer
07-01-2007, 4:45 PM
I'll second your suggestion Gary. Last year I picked one up for a non-Sam's member at work. He's thrilled....and it is heavy!

glenn bradley
07-01-2007, 7:32 PM
I've been eyeballing that thing for a year. It does look well made and is priced right. I was concerned about vise mounting as I already had the vises and they were not going to work. If not for that, I would have one. That's only about $75 more than mine cost to build and it took wayyyy longer than 15 minutes . LOL

Josh LaFrance
08-16-2007, 7:41 AM
I got one of these last month. It's a great bench but I stongly suggest that you take a strait endge with you when you go to pick it up. I got one home and assembled then found that the top was fairly bowed. If I put a strait edge across it the edges were a good 1/8" lower than the center. I brought it back and they let me open a box to check the flatness. I also checked the floor display and it was warped. Typical crappy c****** quality control.

Rob Blaustein
08-16-2007, 9:26 AM
I just started a new thread here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63628) in case Costco members who don't belong to Sam's will ignore the post but are in the market for a bench.

terry hansen
08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I picked one up and added 2 pieces of 1/2 mdf beneath the maple top - needed longer bolts of course. Raised top up to a more comfortable level, and the next step is to put apron around to attach vise(s) to. Additionally, the maple topped mobile cabinets they sell slide underneath allowing for relatively compact storage.

comment about levelness of top is well said - I checked several before finding one that was acceptable.

Wilbur Pan
08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
If I put a strait edge across it the edges were a good 1/8" lower than the center. I brought it back and they let me open a box to check the flatness. I also checked the floor display and it was warped. Typical crappy c****** quality control.
I'm going to make a guess as to what you mean by "c******", but what you are seeing has nothing to do with the country of origin.

What you are seeing is the quality you get when you only want to spend $200 on a premade workbench. If a U.S. company manufactured a workbench priced to sell at just $200, the tops would be equally out of flat.

Bill Huber
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Harbor has one for $179.

Solid oak, hardwood top with lacquer finish
Wood block vise with adjustable machined guides
Four felt lined storage drawers
Convenient storage shelf
Weight capacity: 250 lbs. (top), 33 lb. (each drawer)
Includes 16 bench dog holes, 4 metal pegs, 4 oak pegs and four felt lined drawers
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93454

and one for $129.

Wood block vise with adjustable machined guides
3/8'' plywood storage shelf
Rear of work table has a storage bin
Finished with a clear nitrocellulose lacquer
Fourteen peg holes
Includes four wood pegs and four metal pegs
both are oak

Can't really tell you how good they are but I have been want to take a look at one and see how it looks.
I also have to figure out were I can put one..

Alan Tolchinsky
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
It's lists the oak top as being 2.5" thick. I wonder where they're measuring that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm guessing at the edge where it's banded and not in the center.