PDA

View Full Version : What type of paint do I need?

Russell Tribby
07-01-2007, 4:10 PM
I'll be the first to admit that my finishing skills have a lot to be desired. I have a cheap Harbot Freight HVLP gun that I would like to use to spray a couple of bookcases that I made for our kids. What type of paint do I need to buy and will I need to thin it?

Joe Chritz
07-01-2007, 8:15 PM
Hit a real paint store and inquire with them. Most latex paints won't spray well without the right tip and viscosity.

Most likely an acrylic is the way to go.

I have only sprayed tinted USL with mine so not much help with the paint but when I was thinking about using some I found a really knowledgeable person at Sherwin Williams.

Joe

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Sherwin Williams Pro-Classic Acrylic; Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo 100% Acrylic; Target Coatings USL tinited; Fuhr International 380 tinted. All examples of good choices. The Target and Fuhr products are easier to spray, IMHO, as they have consistency that is compatible with HVLP guns "out of the can" and with the typical stock projector set setup on the gun. The thicker products need alternative setups on the gun.

jason lambert
07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I like the Benjamin Moore royal (something) it is called. They actually imbed small ceramic partials in it so it wipes easily and wares good. Used it in my kitchen almost anything comes off of it with a damp rag.

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 4:43 PM
Just do not use anything with "Latex" in the name...blocking (sticking) can be a problem on bookcases with it.

Russell Tribby
07-14-2007, 1:25 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up using a lacquer based paint from Mohawk. It sprayed really well. I also used glazing for the first time and that was a real learning experience. The project didn't come out exactly how I wanted it to but I picked up quite a bit and my wife is happy....that's what really counts. The top of the bench holds cusion that we ordered from Pottery Barn. It's a perfect place for our kids to sit or lay down and read. Thanks again for the advice.

Jim Becker
07-14-2007, 7:06 PM
Looks great, Russell!

Russell Tribby
07-14-2007, 7:23 PM
Jim,

I'm looking into the Performax 22-44. Somewhere in here I noticed that you have one. Would you be willing to give me your list of pros and cons. This would be a big purchase for me and I want to make sure that I am making the right choice. Thanks.