PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Read God's Debris?

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2007, 12:09 PM
It is available in PDF format online. Author is Scott Adams. With all the recent discussion here about global warming I read God's Debris again this a.m. If you have read this book, and are willing to share your thoughts, please post. Thanks.

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2007, 4:48 PM
I started it. It seemed like a good book. Very interesting discussion in the book.

Course now, its lost among the house after we redid a couple rooms...

Interested in seeing people's thoughts tho.

Living in Savannah. That must be nice. Beautiful spot.

Lee DeRaud
07-01-2007, 5:17 PM
Author is Scott Adams.Haven't seen that. He did a sequence last month with "Dogbert the 'Green' Consultant" that was simply hilarious: wonderful job of skewering some of the ecological pretentiousness going around today.

(googles) Ah, here it is: http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/godsdebris/

Looks like fun...in a Dilbertian sort of way. :p

Pat Germain
07-01-2007, 6:52 PM
That sounds very interesting. I'm going to download it. I've been looking for a good read. My daugher bought me "Stones of Summer", but man, it's brain buster. :eek:

Thanks, Belinda.

Gary Keedwell
07-01-2007, 7:58 PM
Belinda, I also down-loaded it to read in bed tonite, but got a little hooked and read 30 pages already. So far....real interesting.....Thank-you.:)
Gary K.

John Schreiber
07-02-2007, 1:20 AM
Belinda,

I hadn't heard of it before, but read up to page 48 this evening.

Given that we have agreed to not debate politics or religion here, it's hard to respond.

I think I can safely say that it reminds me of some of C.S. Lewis's books in a way. C.S. Lewis was a highly educated academic who knew philosophy and Christian apologetics through and through. His knowledge was great, but he had a gift of being able to write for the ordinary man.

I could be wrong, but it is my impression while Scott Adams has done some reading and some thinking, and he has a fabulous sense of irony, he is basically raising silly questions which might be part of a basic philosophy class.

That is my impression after reading just a little bit of the book and checking the Wikipedia article on Adams.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 7:57 AM
Living in Savannah. That must be nice. Beautiful spot.

Yes, living in Savannah is very nice. Of course, I don't have much basis for comparison as I have always lived in the South. Temp currently 72 with 96% humidty, a little drippy this a.m. If you don't mind updating your hurricane preparedness kit every May, and keeping all of your important papers in a grab and go box, and the sand gnats, and the fact that there really isn't a change of seasons - it's wonderful! The thing I like best about Savannah is there is always something to do, even if you just go down to the river and watch the big ships come in.

This is the view from our dock. You just can't beat it my book!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59712&thumb=1&d=1173366329 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59712&d=1173366329)

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 7:58 AM
Belinda, I also down-loaded it to read in bed tonite, but got a little hooked and read 30 pages already. So far....real interesting.....Thank-you.:)
Gary K.

You're welcome. I started reading online, intending to just dip my toes, and ended up reading the entire book then and there.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 8:03 AM
Belinda,

Given that we have agreed to not debate politics or religion here, it's hard to respond.

I could be wrong, but it is my impression while Scott Adams has done some reading and some thinking, and he has a fabulous sense of irony, he is basically raising silly questions which might be part of a basic philosophy class.

John,

I actually did not intend to start a debate of either politics or religion. I am interested in whether reading this book caused anyone to rethink their beliefs, or look at the universe in a different way. My initial impression was much as yours regarding "silly questions", but I changed my mind as I read further. For me the silly questions helped reset my thinking, so to speak, so that I was ready for the questions asked further along in the book - much as they did for the main charachter.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 8:13 AM
Gary H.,

Off topic, but hey . . . I started the thread so I probably won't be too upset. ;) Thought you might get a laugh from this.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN GEORGIA IN JULY WHEN. . .
The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
The trees are whistling for the dogs.
The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
Hot water now comes out of both taps.
You can make sun tea instantly.
You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.
You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.
You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, 'What if I get knocked out and
end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?'
You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out
and add butter, salt and pepper.
Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from
laying boiled eggs.
The cows are giving evaporated milk.
Ah, what a place to call home. :D

Ed Falis
07-02-2007, 4:11 PM
Yes, living in Savannah is very nice. ...

Hey Belinda, do you know my cousin Bob Holick? He's a chiropracter there (as is his wife).

- Ed

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 4:58 PM
No, I don't. What part of town do they live in? I live on the Southside and don't stray very far from home or work, which is on the West side. Will keep them in mind though if I need to get my back cracked. :)

Greg Cole
07-02-2007, 5:14 PM
My evenings readings usually are full of silliness... Dr Seuss.
We've even started "Captain Underpants" and we're getting geared up for "Where the Wild Things Are".
I'm only 32, but I get a HUGE satisfaction out of my 5 year old reading the same books as I (no really, the exact book not a new copy). Although "Cars n trucks n things that go" by Richard Scary literally had the spine let all the pages out (blame me I had it for nearly 30 years! :D ).

Ok, seriously, thanks for the tip... I do need to expand my horizons for evening reading ww'ing books n mags are the usual fare for my bedtime.

Greg

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 5:31 PM
"Where the Wild Things Are". One of my favorites!

Ok, seriously, thanks for the tip... I do need to expand my horizons for evening reading ww'ing books n mags are the usual fare for my bedtime.

Greg

God's Debris is not for everyone. If you decide to read it, abide by the disclaimer at the beginning. I believe this book could be very offensive to people of faith.

Lee DeRaud
07-02-2007, 5:58 PM
God's Debris is not for everyone. ... I believe this book could be very offensive to people of faith.You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 6:06 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

Depending on your perspective, it could be.:D Just don't want folks jumpin' in with the wrong impression. When that happens I usually get yelled at, for some ungodly reaon. (pun intended).:D

Ed Falis
07-02-2007, 6:25 PM
No, I don't. What part of town do they live in? I live on the Southside and don't stray very far from home or work, which is on the West side. Will keep them in mind though if I need to get my back cracked. :)

To be honest, I don't know - haven't been down to visit them, but figured on an off chance, you might have known them. I sure liked his pictures of the area, though.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 8:36 PM
To be honest, I don't know - haven't been down to visit them, but figured on an off chance, you might have known them. I sure liked his pictures of the area, though.

If you would like to see some photos of Savannah taken this Spring here is a link. It really is a pretty town.

http://picasaweb.google.com/belinda.williamson/SavannahScenes

Pat Germain
07-02-2007, 9:23 PM
For the record, I am a person of faith and I don't find it offensive. :)

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Pat. I am glad you were not offended. What did you think? I don't feel the book argues against the presence of God, but rather gives a different perspective on God. I do know some folks who have been offended, but they are rather dogmatic in their beliefs. We tend to have that here in the South. Again, thanks for your reply.

Pat Germain
07-02-2007, 9:43 PM
I haven't yet finished it, so I'll withold my overall impression. I'm having trouble adjusting to reading a book online.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 9:52 PM
Reading a book online is a little different isn't it. It took a little bit of adjustment for me, but I was so engrossed in the reading I just forged ahead.

Mark Pruitt
07-03-2007, 4:26 PM
Belinda,
I read the book when it was first published. Considering the source, I wasn't looking for anything serious but rather just for a few good laughs. The book did not disappoint me in that regard. It was interesting and fun to read. More so than the Dilbert books, actually.

John Schreiber
07-03-2007, 8:36 PM
Well, I finished it off today. I still don't think there's much substance there. There is some good advice and some fun "thought experiments," but there are also more than a few logic errors, fact errors and at least one big assumption which has no basis in fact.

It's good to keep thinking and absorbing new ideas. By the way, if there's only one level 5 at a time, I must be it.:D

Pat Germain
07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Thus far, the book hasn't raised anything new to me. I've heard all the concepts and ideas the old man is throwing around. It's still interesting and a fun read. Hopefully, I'll come across something new before the book ends. :)

Roger Sandoz
07-04-2007, 1:04 AM
I recommend

Battleground God (http://www.philosophyquotes.net/cgi-bin/god_game1.cgi?num=0)

or choose Another (http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/) from philosophersnet

Mark Pruitt
07-04-2007, 10:24 AM
By the way, if there's only one level 5 at a time, I must be it.:D
No.....you WERE it.:p Guess who it is now?:p :p :p

Sorry, John......couldn't leave that one alone.;)

John Schreiber
07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry, John......couldn't leave that one alone.;)Mark, Don't open that package just yet.;) I don't want to get caught at the wrong moment without my bathrobe.:eek:

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Gary H.,

Off topic, but hey . . . I started the thread so I probably won't be too upset. ;) Thought you might get a laugh from this.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN GEORGIA IN JULY WHEN. . .
The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
The trees are whistling for the dogs.
The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.
Hot water now comes out of both taps.
You can make sun tea instantly.
You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.
The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.
You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.
You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.
You actually burn your hand opening the car door.
You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.
Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, 'What if I get knocked out and
end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?'
You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out
and add butter, salt and pepper.
Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from
laying boiled eggs.
The cows are giving evaporated milk.
Ah, what a place to call home. :D

Belinda, I grew up in S Fl, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Got my undergrad in Gainesville. Went to the world's largest outdoor cocktail party four years running. Go Gators.

Pat Germain
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
One book along the same topic I would not recommend is Conversations With God. Someone I knew and trusted recommended that book. Good golly, what a hardbound paper and ink turd that was. Basically, some burned out, lazy, middle-aged loser decided to spew "The Gospel According to Me" and imagined it all came directly from God. :rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
07-05-2007, 1:11 PM
Belinda, I grew up in S Fl, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Got my undergrad in Gainesville. Went to the world's largest outdoor cocktail party four years running. Go Gators.

Go DAWGS! Still the largest cocktail party in the world!

Belinda Barfield
07-05-2007, 1:14 PM
It's good to keep thinking and absorbing new ideas. By the way, if there's only one level 5 at a time, I must be it.:D

I knew this was a good place to post this thread! What are the odds of finding the avatar here? I've been searching everywhere. :D