PDA

View Full Version : surprising little gloat (router crafter)

Larry Crim
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I've always wondered if these things really worked so when I saw one on craigslist I went to check it out. It was an older gentleman that just had too much stuff in his shop and needed to make some room he said he had never used it but his son had before he gave it to him. Looked like it was in good shape so I handed over $40. I figured for this price even if it didn't work I would not be out too much just a drive and a few bucks.
I was still a little skeptical that it could make accurate cuts so this morning I chucked up a 12" length of cherry scrap roughed it out to about 1.5" and went at it, after I mounted my old craftsman router that I never use and picking a couple of generic craftsman 1/4" bits cove and v groove I made the grooves in three passes and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. In less than 10 minutes I produced a sprial that is better than I thought it would ever do. I thought it would make something that I would end up having to sand for hours to make presentable, not the case it came off the machine almost ready to finish a little cleaning up with 220 and it would be ready for finish. In the pic it looks a little rough but it just the pic it really came out nice and I can't wait to see what it will produce with some higher quality bits. I am not too proud to say this tool proved me wrong and I can already think of new projects for it

Ron Hedrick
07-01-2007, 12:56 PM
How cool is that. Have fun!

Ron Jones near Indy
07-01-2007, 2:03 PM
Good deal! I would like to find one like that.

Larry Crim
07-01-2007, 2:20 PM
I looked on ebay before I bought this one there were a few on there, one was at $98 dollars a few minutes before closing the others were lower. if one was to make a low bid on the remaining ones they might get a good deal. can't see there being a big call for them.
Larry

Charles Jackson III
07-01-2007, 2:23 PM
Very nice work.

glenn bradley
07-01-2007, 3:33 PM
What a great surprise . . and inexpensive too. Looks like fun.

Clint Winterhalter
07-01-2007, 8:16 PM
Larry I was glade to see your post.
I have my fathers NIB router crafter in my basement. It has never seen the light of day. I've had it sense 1982 when he passed away. I totally forgot about it until you posted your gloat. I'm feeling inspired. I'll have to dig it out and see what I can do with it. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Clint

Guy Germaine
07-02-2007, 7:58 AM
I feel the same way as Clint. I've had one in the attic, above the garage for 10 years. Bought it 20 years ago. I think I'm going to have to get it down and play with it again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Larry Crim
07-02-2007, 8:30 AM
Cllint and Guy I used some cheap generic bits for the above just to play with it but if you need the bits to do rope or barley twist ect.. they are sold by a company named magnate they make the bits for the legacy mill and sell direct in sets or individual bits, the prices are pretty good.
Larry

David Tiell
07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I've got on the FIL gave me years ago that has been collecting dust since. Honestly, I didn't have a lot of confidence in it performing as advertised, so have never tried it. May have to dig it out and try it now!

Mark Pruitt
07-02-2007, 1:29 PM
Glad you got satisfactory service out of that tool. I bought one in '87 or '88, used it once, it took me six hours to make one leg about 30" long. After that, it collected dust for about 17 years and eventually I gave it away. There's something about a screaming router that takes away the serenity I otherwise associate with woodturning (well, I'll admit that power sanding is noisy too), but I do agree that the RC can make some pretty spindles.

Larry Crim
07-02-2007, 7:43 PM
Glad you got satisfactory service out of that tool. I bought one in '87 or '88, used it once, it took me six hours to make one leg about 30" long. After that, it collected dust for about 17 years and eventually I gave it away. There's something about a screaming router that takes away the serenity I otherwise associate with woodturning (well, I'll admit that power sanding is noisy too), but I do agree that the RC can make some pretty spindles.

got to agree mark when I think of turned legs I would not even think of doing it on anything except on the lathe but when it comes to the rope and barley twist I think I would be better off with this setup.
Larry

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 9:19 PM
Ah....the "poor man's" Legacy mill! If I ever saw one of these available in excellent condition, I'd have no hesitation with grabbing it. There was one at a local ReTool years ago, but it was obviously missing parts, so I didn't even bother to fondle it...

Nice "steal"!!!

Mike Cornelsen
07-02-2007, 9:29 PM
Having never seen one of these I did a quick Google. It looks like you can get pretty intricate with one: http://twistedtimber.net/