PDA

View Full Version : Delta RU50 Pin Router????

Jack Briggs
07-01-2007, 9:58 AM
Just picked up a 1987 Delta RU50, but was lacking guide pins. Anyone know of a source for these? I may have a machine shop turn them, but the manual shows pics of the stock ones which have a keyway cut in each to accomadat a setscrew for locking in place.

Any ideas for NOS parts sources??

Thanks,

Chris Rosenberger
07-01-2007, 11:52 AM
The router was made by Invicta. You could try them & also try Delta.

Rick Lizek
07-02-2007, 7:33 AM
Pin routers are great machines and most folks really don't know how to really maximize their potential. You could consider checking out the pins on Grizzly and other makers. You don't really need the keyway slot as you could grind a flat on stndard pins. You could also buy some rod and cut it to lengths and have a machine shop turn down the tips to various diameters. Also consider bushing to pop on the tips for quick size changes. You can buy a lot of this off the shelf from places like mcmaster so machine shop time isn't really expensive.

Perry Holbrook
07-02-2007, 8:03 AM
Jack, I bought one of those machines last year and have just started using it. PLEASE be very careful that you fully understand which bits to use. I had a pretty severe injury this weekend when it threw a block of maple at my midsection.

Upon investigation, the cause was a spiral upcut bit. I had used the setup many times but this time when the head plunged into the wood the bit lifted the pattern form and work piece off the guide pin and threw the wood at me. It was my fault in not thinking thru completely that the spiral bit would cause that.

I'll be very sore for a few days as a reminded.

Perry

PS I was able to pick up a drive belt for my machine at a local Delta service center. Found them thru Delta's web site. Maybe they will have the parts you need.

Jack Briggs
07-02-2007, 1:12 PM
Perry,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Yeah, I've used pin router since about 1987, both overarm and inverted. The Onsrud style inverted ones are even more demanding of mental focus because you can't see the bit in your work.

I was lucky enough after finding Invicta's site that they still do make this unit, just don't export to the USA. However, my regional rep for Invicta was able to email me part #'s for what I nedded (thank goodness I have the owner's manual!) which I then ordered throught DeWalt Servicenet online parts center.

You don't, by any chance, have a parts list for the RU-50, do you?

Perry Holbrook
07-02-2007, 2:12 PM
Try acetoolrepair.com They have drawings and parts list for the RU-50.

Perry