PDA

View Full Version : My first pen - actually my first turning

Tim Malyszko
07-01-2007, 7:57 AM
Yesterday, I was finally able to get my new Jet Lathe set up along with the Wolverine Jig and turned my first pen yesterday and was very pleased with the results. I used a basic 7mm kit and a zebrawood blank and finished it off with a friction finish.

Overall, it was a very satisfying experience and if I have the time today, I'm going to turn a matching pen/pencil set of some highly figured cherry scrap I have laying around the shop from an old cabinet project.

Sorry about the picture quality... I'll have to work on that.

On another note, I ended up keeping the Sorby tools along with the HF tools. I started to use the HF tools on some scraps I had laying around and something did not feel right. In addition, I seemed to have to shapen them really frequently and it was getting very annoying. Furthermore, the handles felt like they were going to split and that finish they put on them made them slippery when I started sweating. After fighting with them for over an hour, I pulled out the sorby spindle gouge, sharpened it on the wolverine jig and began to use it. It was truely a night and day difference. Not only was it cutting smoother, it held it's edge significantly longer.

I don't know if I got a bad set of the HF HSS turning tools or what, but I'm sticking with the Sorbys. I'll still hold onto the HF tools since they were less than $40 and the hassle of returning them isn't worth the cost and as the need arrises I can grind them into some other profile. Eventually, I'll turn some new handles for them since I cannot stand the stock handles. I was shocked by my experience since so many turners like the HF set.

Thanks again for the help and advice. I'll continue to post my progress. In two weeks, I start my 2 day turning class... I'm looking so forward to it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Tim the pen is a beauty. You did a nice job on it. Yep it is possible you got a bad set of HF tools. Sorby's are nice tools. Keep'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2007, 2:11 PM
Great looking first pen Tim! Sorry to hear you are having problems with the HF set. Had mine for a couple of years now and still are my go-to tools when it comes to spindle work. Make sure you post your next set!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2007, 3:24 PM
Nice first or 10th pen Tim! You're hooked now.

Gary Herrmann
07-01-2007, 4:35 PM
Uhoh Tim, you're done. Just get rid of your flatwork tools now. I've had a stack of cherry stickered on the shop floor for months now. Can't seem to get to it.

Pens and bowls are fun and quick. Much more immediately gratifying than flatwork. Nice work on your first, btw.

I've been meaning to go to WC to attend one of the local AAW mtgs. Let me know if you're interested, so we can pick a time we can both make it.

Shane Whitlock
07-01-2007, 4:58 PM
Another one bites the dust ... Turning pens is addicting :D

Nice first pen.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Tim Malyszko
07-01-2007, 9:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Pen turning has been really fun so far and my friends and family cannot believe the end results.

I turned a few more this afternoon - 2 pens and a pencil. I really like the top pen the best, which was made of cocobolo. I got a little too thin on part of the pencil barrel (middle pen), but I really liked the color and grain pattern. I've been needing a good mechanical pencil at work for quite some time, so this satisfied this need.

Uhoh Tim, you're done. Just get rid of your flatwork tools now.

I can see it happening. It's nice finishing a project in a day as oppossed to weeks if not months. Turning definately fills that instant gratification void.

I've been meaning to go to WC to attend one of the local AAW mtgs. Let me know if you're interested, so we can pick a time we can both make it.

I tried going last weekend, but got tied up at work. I'm going to try and go the the one at the end of the month - I believe it's July 22. Unfortunately, the same customers that I got tied up with last weekend are coming in on July 23, so I may be working all weekend once again preparing for their visit. It will probably be a last minute decision.

Thanks again for the comments.

steve fleischmann
07-01-2007, 9:52 PM
Looks great, hope my first turns out that nice.

Steve