PDA

View Full Version : AAW Auction Update

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I just got an email from a friend at the Portland AAW Auction,

A colaberative piece by Bihn Pho and the late Frank Sudol just went for $30K!!!

Oh My:eek:

Mark Cothren
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Shazam!!!!!

Jeff Moffett
07-01-2007, 12:09 AM
And a Bonnie Klein collaborative piece went for $20k!

Jonathon Spafford
07-01-2007, 3:24 AM
A colaberative piece by Bihn Pho and the late Frank Sudol just went for $30K!!!

Hey, I just had to have it!!!!!

:D:D:D

You donated one of your pens didn't you, Jim? Thought I recognized the name ;)
The auction was really cool! They ended up raising $100,126, IIRC!

Jim Becker
07-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes, the collaborative and individual works by "top names" have been really jumping in the past few years in proceeds. And the money goes to good works.

A few years ago I was the winner of a lovely piece by Phil Brennion at the auction...I had always wanted one of his beautiful ponderosa pine end-grain works. Worth every penny of what it cost me and I'm proud to have it in my collection. I think that year the top end pieces got to the $8K range if my memory is serving correctly.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
07-01-2007, 2:16 PM
Hey, I just had to have it!!!!!

D:D:D

You donated one of your pens didn't you, Jim? Thought I recognized the name ;)
The auction was really cool! They ended up raising $100,126, IIRC!

Yes Jonathan,
I did donate a pen.......Mark Kauder emailed me live from the auction, it brought in $250 for the AAW.

Mark also had one of his segmented hollow forms up too, I believe he said it sold for $550.

JOHN VITOSKY
07-01-2007, 7:13 PM
A good friend of mine's mahogany platter jus went for 1750 . It had cletic knots on the bottom with a black dyed rim treatment.

Fred Floyd
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
The Bin Pho/ Frank Sudol piece is a one-of-a-kind that will never be duplicated. Yes, it was a great work of art. You knew it was going to go high when the opening bid was $10,000.

There were many excellent pieces in the Instant Gallery as well.

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
For me, the auction was the highlight of the symposium. I talked with Binh a few minutes after the $30K bid and as you can imagine, he was floating on clouds. I "chair" the EOG Committee that approves and disburses the auction proceeds and seeing such an out-pouring of generosity was truly remarkable.

For those who were not in attendance, this year’s auction was comprised of only about 68 pieces, compared to about 128 last year. And unlike last year, we finished before 10PM, instead of after midnight.

A personal highlight was the auctioning of one of my ribbon pieces. It was donated by the family of a recently deceased collector of my work. It’s the ribbon that is displayed on the current issue of American Woodturner and it bought in several times its original selling price.

I don’t know who said it first, but, “What a night!”

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 1:35 PM
Sounds like a fantastic evening. Just curious, what do the proceeds go to and how does one get a piece in the mix? Does anything go to the artist or does it all go to contributions?

Keith Burns
07-05-2007, 3:15 PM
My excitement comes not only from the fact that Binh's piece brought such a price, but from the fact that Binh Pho is doing a two day demonstration at our club in Memphis, TN on August 25th and 26th, 2007. This demo should be a real treat. We already have people signed up from Oklahoma and Arkansas. If you are interested just drop me a pm.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 3:36 PM
I just Googled Binh's name and boy does he do some beautifully unique stuff. Are there any pictures of the piece that was at the event?

Keith Burns
07-05-2007, 4:03 PM
I just Googled Binh's name and boy does he do some beautifully unique stuff. Are there any pictures of the piece that was at the event?

AAW Website has a video of the auction