PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening gloat

Kyle Stiefel
06-30-2007, 10:31 PM

Hello,

Well it was a good mail day. My sander/grinder and motor arrived today. I picked it up from Lee Valley as well as the leather strop. I already had their green honing compound so that completed the picture. I now can finely tune all the knifes around the house and put the finishing touched on all my woodworking things.

Jameel Abraham
06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I have one of these set up in my furnace room just a few steps from my kitchen. It's great for knives and carving tools. But it doesn't replace a bench grinder for chisels and plane irons. There is just no good way to get the needed angle for these tools with the included table. The long platen prohibits any relief area for jigs or rests. But it does rock for knives.

Kyle Stiefel
06-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I have one of these set up in my furnace room just a few steps from my kitchen. It's great for knives and carving tools. But it doesn't replace a bench grinder for chisels and plane irons. There is just no good way to get the needed angle for these tools with the included table. The long platen prohibits any relief area for jigs or rests. But it does rock for knives.

Jameel,

Yah, this item was kind of the completion of the trilogy. For my turning instruments I use the slow speed grinder with the Oneway Wolverine system. The planes and chisels on good old fashion water stones with the Veritas Mk II jig. Now I have no excuses for anything be less then extremely sharp, oh yah laziness on my part.

Scott Brihn
07-01-2007, 6:54 AM
Hello Kyle,

This is a great unit and as mentioned does a terrific job on knives.