PDA

View Full Version : A sharpening station / cart

Al Navas
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for looking!

This design might be of use to others. I used eCabinet Systems software to do the design.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Sandal_Woods/cabinets/Sharpeningstation-withTR13032.jpg

Dimensions:
1. 38 inches wide
2. 34-1/2 inches tall, plus 4 inches for the casters
3. 20 inches deep

Materials, construction, and finish:
1. Face frames are 3/4-inch red oak
2. The rest is 3/4-inch cabinet-grade oak plywood - for purpose of this design drawing, I used different wood for the drawers and doors, to better highlight edges
3. Construction: Tongue & groove and pocket holes - essentially the Sommerfeld Tools technique
4. The finish will be Minwax Special Walnut wiped on, followed by two coats of Target Coatings' waterborne shellac, and 2-4 coats of their Superclear 9000 waterborne polyurethane (polyester-based urethane).

The cabinet will have the Wolverine grinding system on it, mounted with a dual-speed Delta grinder. Now for the design features:

1. Top left: Drawer
2. Bottom left: Adjustable shelf, with glass door, to allow viewing the contents.
3. Top right: Shelf, with door, for jig parts
4. Right - middle and bottom drawers: Other sharpening supplies
5. The casters are by Tente Casters, Inc. They provided the 3D drawing, converted to STL file format, ready for import into eCabinet Systems.
The Wolverine system will be on the left-hand side of the cabinet top, while gouges and other supplies will be at the ready on the right-hand side.

The cart rides on casters, for easy transportability between lathe (gouges, etc.) and workbench (chisels, plane irons, etc.).

Richard Blaine
07-01-2007, 1:13 AM
Al,

I like it. I only wish I had room in the shop. Unfortunately, I'm pretty stuffed in there.

Tim Malyszko
07-01-2007, 7:38 AM
Al,

I can't wait to see the final product. I've been acquiring sharpening stuff for a few months now since I've got into hand tools and turning. Now that I have my Wolverine Jig set up, I too need to think of building a mobile sharpening station.

Thanks for posting the design.

Al Navas
07-01-2007, 8:18 AM
Thanks, Richard and Tim.

Richard, I also feel like our shop is getting small ;) . I hope that a little clean-up will help solve that, though :) .

Tim, I will post a follow-up, to show the finished cabinet. It must be done before I can any other project :cool: .