PDA

View Full Version : Making finger joints like Rob Cosmans

Steven Bolton
06-30-2007, 9:02 PM
Hi:

New to the site. I am attaching a photo of a small box made by Rob Cosman. The fingers are 3/16's but the tail peices are wider. Can you make this type of box on the Incra jig?

Would you need to use a template or is there some other way? I going to buy the Incra Jig Lite 12" model if it will do this without a huge learning curve.

Thanks for the input.

Steve Bolton

John Lucas
06-30-2007, 11:57 PM
I cant tell if it was made on an Incra JIg but I can tell you that it can be made on the jig. I forget what the Lite includes but it has the Instruction book and a full set of templates, you are half way there.

Don Bullock
07-01-2007, 9:36 AM
The Incra will definately do finger joints. Whether it will do exactly the same configuration that Rob Cosman does, it's hard to tell. I did notice the following information form the Incra UltraLite webpage:

Complete ULTRA Lite System Package Includes:
INCRA Jig ULTRA Lite (12 1/2" range)
22" INCRA Fence
Sliding Fence Stop
INCRA Right Angle Fixture
2 template patterns -- the 3/8" box joint and 1/2" dovetail templates.
The carriage has 3 sliding scale or template channels. One channel for the primary scale. The other two are for template patterns.

Notice that this jig only comes with those two templates.

The INCRA Master Reference Guide and Template Library book is optional. This book has a wide variety of patterns that add more creativity to your joint possibilities. You'd have to look through the pattern book to find out if there is one close to what he does.

The Incra will not do the hinge that Rob Cosman does. They do have their own hinge jig:

http://incra.biz/Products/HingeCrafter.html

These hinges are not as small as those done by Rob Cosman, nor are they as hidden as his hinges.

Mark Singer
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Cosman probably makes them by hand...which is like trught dovetails. Another very good way is the table saw and a home made jig

mike holden
07-01-2007, 1:45 PM
Mark,
Actually, Rob makes them with a jig set up with two routers. It is shown in his wood hinge video.
Each cutter is offset from the stop by the width of the other cutter and you alternate cutters.
Mike

Larry Crim
07-01-2007, 2:28 PM
Yes steve you can make them on the incra making the tails as wide as you like in multiples of the width of one cut, so if you are using a 3/8 bit you could go 3/4 or 1 1/8 ect between pins and just not make those cuts on the tails. As others said you could also make a jig to do it on the table saw.
larry