PDA

View Full Version : Old Beer and Poison Ivy

Terry Quiram
06-30-2007, 7:49 PM
Two totally unrelated subjects. About a week ago I was pruning our Forsythia and didn't notice that there was poison ivy growing up the center. By the time I became aware I was well past the 10 minute grace period to get the oil off of your skin. I am covered from finger tips to elbows. I got a couple of breakouts on my face and the Dr. put me on a 49 day regime of Prednisone. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO SCRATCH!

On a different note my son was looking in the shop frig for a soda and I noticed some Bud Lite in the top shelf of the door. I remember buying that for the guy that was helping me wire the shop. I wondered out loud how old it might be. My son checked the "born on date", Feb 2000. MGD doesn't last that long.:D :D

Terry

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2007, 7:57 PM
Hey Bud....I feel for ya on the poison ivy stuff. I'm alergic to a lot of "posion" ivy, oak, and such.....I get it bad when I get it. Sooooooo, I KNOW what you are going through.

Beer born on 2000.....hummmmm...could that classify as "aged" beer? :p :D

Doyle Alley
06-30-2007, 8:24 PM
Pour that old beer all over your flower bed. You're plants will love you for it.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-30-2007, 9:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. As my dad used to tell me, just think how much better it will feel when it quits itching.:confused: Hope the meds help.

Gary Herrmann
06-30-2007, 9:37 PM
Will beer that old cure poison ivy? Would you have to take in interally or pour it on your arms?

Jeffrey Makiel
06-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh my.

My brother use to get poison ivy while trimming Forsythia too. He's a lot more cautious these days. According to the local new, poison ivy looks a little different this year. The leaves are larger and lighter in color.

49 days on Prednisone! Wow! That size dose will probably kill a few other things that you didn't even know you had! :)

Good Luck...Jeff :)

Matt Meiser
06-30-2007, 10:45 PM
The H&S person at my old job told me about a product called Technu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id=1F5604C8-9D05-4675-56129F6D83DF2417)that is supposed to be excellent for getting the oil off your skin. It says use within 2-8 hours. I bought some and keep it by the garage sink and use it when I think I might have come in contact.

Mike Cutler
06-30-2007, 11:11 PM
The H&S person at my old job told me about a product called Technu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id=1F5604C8-9D05-4675-56129F6D83DF2417)that is supposed to be excellent for getting the oil off your skin. It says use within 2-8 hours. I bought some and keep it by the garage sink and use it when I think I might have come in contact.

Matt.

It's great stuff!! Put it on like suntan lotion if you even think you might be getting into poison ivy. It works very well.

Warning! If you chainsaw through a poison ivy vine and shoot the debris up your sleeve, along with the bar oil, Tecnu won't help ya'. Yep, I did it!

Terry.
Sorry to hear about the poison ivy. I just finished my course of prednisone about a week ago.( See previous sentence). Are you sure it's 49 days? and not 49 pills taken at decreasing numbers per day? 6-6-6-5-5-5-4-4-4-3-3-3-2-2, or somthing like this.

Joe Mioux
07-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I went through two months worth of outbreaks last year.

Prednisone helped and a bunch of white cream slathered all over my body.

It was awful!

Joe

Jason Roehl
07-01-2007, 7:31 AM
Years ago, I cut through a very dead poison ivy vine on a log I was sawing up for firewood. My forearms were basically 100% covered on the underside. I ended up calling a pharmacist for recommendations, and, of course, he had a few.

1. Tecnu. Best used within 8 hours to wash the oil (urushiol is the allergenic oil) off your skin, otherwise use it before every shower as long as you have the rash.
2. Calagel. It's basically an update of the good ol' pink calamine lotion. It goes on clear and dries clear and definitely helps with the itching.
3. Benadryl. Not fun if it makes you drowsy, but it IS an antihistamine, which should slow down your body's reaction to the urushiol.

Sorry to hear about your plight, Terry. I've already been through two minor bouts with the stuff this year (still don't know where I got it), and now I've moved to a new place that has a small gulley on one end of the property that is lined with some VERY healthy poison ivy growing up most of the trees. I'm gonna be testing that special RoundUp for vines...

Terry Quiram
07-01-2007, 8:04 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike you are right its 49 pills, not 49 days.:rolleyes:

Gary I won't be taking the Bud Lite internally. I think it tastes like crap thats why its 7 years old.:D

Terry

John Shuk
07-01-2007, 9:51 AM
Technu is a great product. I use it anytime I might be contaminated. They also make a product that you can apply before you start working which basically puts a protective film over the skin. Zep makes product that probably acheive the same thing made for mechanics for easier clean up.
http://www.tecnuextreme.com/index.htm

Jim Becker
07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
No comment on the Bud Light...I'm a micro-brew fan when it comes to that kind of beverage!

As to the poison ivy...anyone who is affected by it needs to be even more vigilant these days. It's really flourishing and there have been a number of news articles that indicate it's growing better than ever and becoming "stronger". I am forever picking it out of our gardens and around the house...it's everywhere now. I fortunately am not sensitive (yet...), but Professor Dr SWMBO is. I don't know about the girls yet...but they have been cautioned to be very careful. We have a lot of it on our 4 acre property and it's unfortunately inconceivable that it could be destroyed...even in some areas that I've managed to reduce it, it will not go away totally. In fact, it's the ONLY thing I actually use a chemical on as we're primarily a "green" household for such things.

Joe Chritz
07-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Ditto on what Jim said.

A year ago I lay in it for about 4 hours. I didn't know it until I broke out the next day. Nothing really helps after that point.

The 10 minute window is really much longer. Especially with some of the new things out there for helping remove it. Once you have a reaction it is to late.

Remember to only use cold/cool water and rinse well. I am terrible allergic to it now and I have been in a patch and not broken out by washing right.

Joe

Lee Schierer
07-02-2007, 1:00 PM
it's unfortunately inconceivable that it could be destroyed...even in some areas that I've managed to reduce it, it will not go away totally. In fact, it's the ONLY thing I actually use a chemical on as we're primarily a "green" household for such things.

Jim, Round-UP regular and the wood plant variety of the product will kill poison ivy if you spray it on actively growing plants. It won't kill dormant vines. Just don't burn the vines as the smoke can cause problems for some folks who are highly sensitive.

For a green home remedy, the juice of jewel weed is supposed to counteract the oil. Never tried it myself as I learned to recognize the plant years ago.

Greg Cole
07-02-2007, 1:18 PM
Poison ivy and a string trimmer.... the only way I've found my self "succeptable" to it.
At least it was containted to the legs & mostly shins... my home remedy is NOT for the weak of heart or those with no desire to feel a little sting.... or those who have a vigilant LOML (my wife can't stand to see me do the following)
Step 1: mix a weak solution of bleach & water
Step 2: scrub infected area with scotch brite soaked in bleach n water
Step 3: scrub more
Step 4: rinse
Step 5: rinse some more
Step 6: drink a beer, but NOT Bud Lite no matter what the born on date
Step 7: kill all poison ivy

Never had poison ivy spread nor bother me for more than a 2 days.

Enjoy....
Greg

Matt Meiser
07-02-2007, 1:27 PM
I read over on TractorByNet that Ortho Brush-B-Gone is supposed to be more effective on killing Poison Ivy than RoundUp, and that it supposedly won't kill grass, which seems odd, but I've never tried it so I don't know for sure.

I've heard of the bleach thing too--must get rid of the oils? It would kill my lungs though. A couple minutes around bleach and I start sounding like a smoker.

Patrick Taylor
07-02-2007, 2:44 PM
As for the itching... When I had it bad once I would step out of the water flow in the shower while I cranked up the heat and then stick my arm in the water.:eek: It felt better than scratching... It felt like I was scratching every square inch at once. Obviously take care not to burn yourself. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-02-2007, 4:40 PM
Lee, I do use Round-Up when I have an area I "must" get rid of the stuff, but it takes several applications over a few weeks to kill the stuff we have. Totally amazing will to live...

Around the house, I just reach down and pluck the little suckers out of the ground and put them in the trash... :)

Dave Sinkus
07-02-2007, 4:42 PM
Terry,
I know what you are going through. I tried this stuff because I live in a heavily wooded lot and I am forever squirting the Ivy-B-Gone throughtout the summer.

www.zanfel.com (http://www.zanfel.com)

I bought some of this and it ain't cheap - about $40, but it worked. Just think of it as a new tool for a project :)
It removes the oil from your skin after you are breaking out. There is still some residual and that's why it seems to keepe getting worse.
I have dealt with Poison Ivy since Little League days..Caladryl, Benadryl, and cortisone shots. Anymore, the doctor doesn't want to pass out the cortisone shots as much.

Hang in there.....Predisone relief is on the way

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2007, 6:16 PM
Just don't burn the vines as the smoke can cause problems for some folks who are highly sensitive.

Terry, sorry to hear about your poison ivy attack. It can really make you miserable.

Everyone should take Lee's advice regarding burning. Thanksgiving weekend 1989 we cut up and burned some downed trees that were infested with poison ivy. I inhaled the smoke and ended up very, very ill. There is nothing like poison ivy lesions in your throat.

Prednisone does help tremendously after it gets into your system. Hope you are feeling better soon!