PDA

View Full Version : For those using Incra systems, what kind of bits/bit sets do you use?

Jeff Mohr
06-30-2007, 7:12 PM
I am a newbie and having some trouble...

I got an Incra Super System LS from my father-in-law last Christmas and have just now started playing around with it. I know...I can't believe it either...why have I waited so long! Just had other things to do I guess....
I was also given the Whiteside bit set that came from Woodpecker with the 1/2 inch shanks but am having problems with the 1/4 and 3/8 for my box joints. Both seem to be cutting a tad bit large and the joints are loose.
A.) Can this problem be fixed by doing something I already am not doing?
Or.
B.) What kind of bits/bits sets out there work very well. I am tired of cutting joints only to have them be too loose.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Bill Wyko
06-30-2007, 7:21 PM
I would recomend Amana bits. I believe they are Incra approved. Freud has worked well for me too. I do only use 1/2" shanks though.

Jeff Mohr
07-01-2007, 9:02 AM
Thanks. I've actually been looking at both the Amana and Freud bits. Might go with one of them.

Anyone else?

Gary Keedwell
07-01-2007, 9:37 AM
Alright, I admit that I have never used that system, but can't you compensate for the bit cutting over-size by spacing it abit more? Am I missing something here?:confused:
Gary K.

Mike Heidrick
07-01-2007, 9:50 AM
I bought the CMT Incra set for $89 from Utterguys on ebay. They may have more. Best price I had seen on this 8pc 1/2" shank set.

Jason Beam
07-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm a die-hard Whiteside fan, myself. It's possible that the bit is cutting too big a slot ... best way to answer that is to grab a dial caliper and measure the bit, then cut a slot using that bit and measure the slot. If the bit measures right and the slot's too big, there is only one answer there - the bit isn't spinning true. This could be because the bit's off balance, one blade sticking out further than the other, so off center. If that's the case, I'm sure Woodpecker's or Whiteside themselves would replace it.

Another cause could be the router itself. If the bit's allowed to wobble, it'll cut a wide slot, too. But you said only two bits were giving you fits, so it may not be this. Check with a known-balanced bit, this might be hard to do. Or check for runout by chucking a very straight shaft in the collet and rig up a dial indicator and then rotate things by hand to see if there's any run out.

Larry Crim
07-01-2007, 2:35 PM
I called them when I first got mine and spoke with them they recommended the CMS and Amana at the time he said he preferred the CMS, since then I have bought both and they seem to be equal to me the only thing I can say about the Amana is they seem to rust and corrode easier than the other bits I have.
Larry

Dave Hale
07-02-2007, 8:34 AM
Whiteside works fine for me, Box and DT. I'd give Whiteside a call if you think it's a bits size problem. I did a couple of weeks ago when I was having problems and my problem was the router speed (too slow). :) Nothing wrong with my bits at all.

The other thing I've noticed is that the templates move rather easily when I accidently brushed my hand up against the template while moving to the next 'mark'. That resulted in a much wider gap. Remember the Incra locks down every 1/32", if you've shifted the template even 1/32, that could be your problem. I've adjusted for that issue by sliding the inch ruler to line up with a tick in the template. That way I'll know if I shifted the template or not.

Jason Beam
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Good solution, Dave. I've done that, too. I've also been working to train myself not to grab the arm if I can help it. Saves me from brushing against it most of the time.