PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handle

Ryan Cathey
06-30-2007, 4:20 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/Ryan-Cathey/06-30-2007030856PM.jpg What do you guys think? I think I'm pretty close if not right on. I'm making a saw (kinda). I found a G. H. Bishop that I like the shape of. It looks kind of like a Disston half-back without the back. The only thing is, the handle was busted and the blade was pitted so I figured why not and I'm going to cut a new blade from an older warrented superior saw and make a new handle out of cherry. Oh in case you were wondering here's a pic of the old saw handle http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w289/Ryan-Cathey/?action=view&current=06-28-2007123141PM.jpg . Thanks in advance.

Zahid Naqvi
06-30-2007, 9:40 PM
Cherry might be a little too soft for a saw handle, I'd go with any of apple, maple, oak -whatever is available to you.
A while back I needed to make an open (pistol grip) handle for a DT saw and someone posted a PDF file with a scale outline of such a handle. I made a template from that drawing out of 1/4" plywoood and use that as a reference for the future. Perhaps you can find an original saw whose handle you like and preserve the outline in the form of a plywood template.

Ryan Cathey
06-30-2007, 9:44 PM
The original handle appeared to be cherry so that's what I decided to go with. I tried to match the original handle but just added a little flair. That's why I didn't go with a pre-drawn pattern. I might have some apple coming my way that could do. Do you think 3/4" is too thin for a saw handle?

Ruston Hughes
07-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Do you think 3/4" is too thin for a saw handle?

Part of the answer will be personal preference. I made one from 3/4" stock and thought it felt a little thin, although not uncomfortably so. The other two handles I made are 7/8" and fit my hand a little better.

Zahid Naqvi
07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
handle thickness is a personal preference, I made an open handle for a DT saw that is 1-1/4" thick, and really love it. I don't have big hands by any stretch of the imagination, I just prefer a thicker grip (used to be the same case with my tennis rackets).

Ryan Cathey
07-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, I do have big hands (ya know what they say lol wink wink) so I think I'll just stick to the cherry for the handle and use the apple for something else. Plus my supplier said If I liked the apple he's sending me he'll cut some bigger pieces and get them drying for me.