PDA

View Full Version : 0 clearance inserts for General 350

Bret Champoux
06-30-2007, 3:14 PM
I have a general 350 that I'm finally getting around to making some zero clearance inserts for. I've cut a piece of 1/2 baltic birch that fist perfectly, the only problem is that my 10" blade doesn't go down far enough to put in the piece in order to then raise the balde through.

I thought I could rout a dado across the length of the bottom, but I thought I would see what others have done first.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bret.

Gary Curtis
06-30-2007, 3:52 PM
The blade on my 350 won't drop below the insert either. I just checked.

Gary Curtis

David DeCristoforo
06-30-2007, 5:00 PM
You will find that this is the case on most table saws. The solution is easy...get an 8" blade to make the first cut into the new ZCI. Of course you could just drop the ZCI onto the blade (plunge?) but that's not too safe.

glenn bradley
06-30-2007, 5:07 PM
I've used the 8" blade method but prefer a 1/4" stopped dado on the RT. If you have a dado blade (I don't), just set it up with the two outer cutters and raise it about 1/4" into your blank. This should allow the clearance you need. I've also seen folks just eyeball it in line with their factory insert, clamp it down and raise through it. This is a little 'loose' for my taste.

Elliott Cameron
06-30-2007, 5:14 PM
For my Ridgid 3650 I put the two outside cutters from my dado set and raised them about 1/4" into the ZCI.
My Forrest WWII then had the necessary room to be raised into the ZCI.
It was alot easier than my original idea of routing out a groove in the bottom.

HTH....

.....Elliott

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2007, 6:31 PM
You could always drill a "pilot hole" in one end of a "marked" area of where the TS blade would come to on the ZCI, mark the length and width of the blade on the bottom side of the ZCI and cut it out with a jigsaw.

I would tell you what I do....but what I do isn't safe for putting in public view. :rolleyes:

Luciano Burtini
06-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Got a Skilsaw? Use the skilsaw blade on the table saw to start the cuts.

I've done this - but usually I simply place the front in the slot, start the saw and lower the insert into place (whoops - don't tell anyone, this is probably worse than riding a bike without a helmet or running with scissors) :rolleyes:

Probably what Dennis does as well :eek:

I also make my inserts out of whatever happens to be handy. Here is a batch of 3/4" Baltic Birch inserts for my G350. Of course, these had to be relieved for height. I flipped one over so you could see my free hand routing job. Fine woodworking it is not!

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4224/zcismalltw7.jpg

BTW, a small screw in the back edge of the plywood will 'lock' the insert in place same as the OEM insert.