PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight jigsaw

Louis Brandt
06-30-2007, 2:12 PM
Hello,
I realize that Harbor Freight power tools don’t have high reputations, but here’s a question. I just bought a Harbor Freight jigsaw for $19.95, which had a regular price of $39.95, so I thought it might be a decent item for the price. It lists specs of 5.5 amps, 3 orbital settings and 6 speed settings from 500 to 3000 strokes per minute. I realize that this isn’t a Bosch or DeWalt, but for the price and for general use, has anyone used one of these and maybe has a comment or two about it?
Thanks,
Louis

Vernon Taylor
06-30-2007, 2:44 PM
do not know about this unit,if it were me I would pick up some Bosch blades for it, a good blade can make a signifacant improvement. I have had good luck with most of my HF purchases,if you find you do not like it their return policy is very liberal. I have two jig saws a B&D Professional(pre Dewalt) and and the latest Bosch barrell grip. I am still getting used to the barrel grip and sometimes wish I had gone with the top handle.

Matt Meiser
06-30-2007, 3:28 PM
Since you already bought it, why not stick a good blade in it and try it out? Let us know what you think--it could be one of those HF gems. If not, take it back.

I have a few Harbor Freight power tools I'm happy with like a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a right angle corded drill. Both are nice tools for the money.

Louis Brandt
06-30-2007, 3:36 PM
Hello again,
Well, it came with three blades, and I've tried the jigsaw with one of the blades. It seems to cut ok. Would a Bosch or other name brand blade be better, and would it be likely to fit?
Thanks,
Louis

Matt Meiser
06-30-2007, 3:48 PM
I always bought Vermont American blades until I got my Bosch saw and couldn't believe the difference in quality of cut between them and the Bosch blades that came with my saw. Since then, I've only bought Bosch blades. Based on brand reputation, I would also suspect Lenox blades would be good--I think I've seen them at one of the big chains.

Jeff Raymond
06-30-2007, 4:05 PM
Since my crummy Milwaukee crapped out on me after only 25 years of use (junk) I was forced to shop for a new one. I did buy the Bosch and can't be happier with it. It has very nice balance, smooth, lots of power. It does have a different blade replacement deal which seems unnecessarily complicated, but even a caveman could figure it out (me) if you actually read the instructions. Y'know...

If working in hardwood, I'd recommend getting a good one that is going to both do a good job and will last for awhile.

2 cents worth of advice. Maybe,

Brent Dowell
06-30-2007, 4:27 PM
I upgraded to a bosch after using a craftsman for a while. While they both make the blade move up and down and cut, the bosch was just so much smoother with a lot less vibration.

That being said, I don't really expect any jigsaw to have a finish ready cut.

If it's doing what you need for 19.95, more power to ya!

Dave Sweeney
06-30-2007, 7:26 PM
My first jigsaw was a no name in-store brand that is sold by Menards. I think I paid about $15 for it. It was junk and wouldn't cut a straight line, or so I thought. I put a Bosch T234 Progressor Blade in it and the quality of cut with this cheap jigsaw immediately improved a bunch . Now that saw will never be anything but a $15 jigsaw but with the Progressor Blade in it it's at least usable. Passed it on to my son and he still uses it.

Jason Boushard
06-30-2007, 7:39 PM
I have a HF reciprocating saw I got for 19 bucks 5 years ago and it is still going strong. I take it to work once in a while and use it there it never has a problem and thats saying alot since I am in the Navy so you can imagine the kind of stuff I am cutting there. Try it out it might be a great find if not have you really lost that much?